HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What would you say if these chain of events happened...

1) Guhle for Zegras

Hire a precocious group of young PI's with a talking dog to get to the bottom of it...

And not be surprised at all when, with a little help from the forum ghosts, they captured "Ken Hughes" only to reveal that he was actually BargainBin in disguise 🥸

2) Habs use our pick to draft a D (to replace Guhle). This unblocks our D clutter for this season and next.
Meh. Better off keeping Guhle than setting the clock back several years and hoping the pick surpasses him eventually & in time to bolster our existing core young core before their current contracts expire.

3) Habs use pieces like the Anderson, Dvorak, Jets 1st, Mesar, to add Laine.
If the cost to offload Anderson & Dvorak and take a flyer on Laine, is only Mesar & a late 1st, I'm in!
4) Dubois gets bought out and signs a small deal with the Habs. 4 years at $4M.
Not small enough.

Duchene's 1@3M is a good precedent. No reason or benefit to roll out 4yrs given PLDs track record.

Slaf / Suzuki / Laine
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Dubois / Roy
Armia / Evans / Gallagher

RHP, Pezzetta, Ylonen, Farrell
Beck, Kapanen, Tuch

Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Struble, Barron, Harris, Kova, Engstrom
Not sure who we would draft on D.

Monty / Primeau
Fowler

I like the idea of targetting Zegras, but that roster is considerably better with Guhle over Z.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
watching the carolina/NYR game and man I would offer the moon for Svechnikov...Hurricanes kinda need a 2C since KK completely lost it but we do not have a 2c to spare... and I saw that they might lose 3 of their D's this summer..and the 3 others next summer..they do have nice D prospects in Morrow and Nikishin but, I assume they will need more.

So, if Brady Skjei and Brett Pesce decide to walk this summer, I would offer :

Mike Matheson + Mailloux or Xhekaj + Calgary's 1st round pick in 2025

for

Andrei Svechnikov
no

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t see Huberdeau waiving for a Cali team (or any US team for that matter), his heavy bonus contract will get whacked by taxes.
Huberdeau is a sunny weather kind of guy and very much hated having to ditch his flip flops (and Lambos) for Calgary. I think he’d waive and let his tax experts soft land the tax bite best they can.

Reactions: donghabs98

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Idk why you guys are going big on your trades lol, unlikely Habs do anything huge this summer.

Hoping they add a veteran 4th liner or two. An actual 4th liner.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Huberdeau is a sunny weather kind of guy and very much hated having to ditch his flip flops (and Lambos) for Calgary. I think he’d waive and let his tax experts soft land the tax bite best they can.
If that was the case he’d have simply gone UfA instead of immediately signing an extension w Cgy after being traded

Reactions: Garry Valk

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
If Hugo has their eyes on demidov, we gotta convince Chicago for #2. As others have said 5th + WPG 1st + Harris/Dvorak/Mesar/prospect/etc.

I do that trade 10/10 times but only if demidov is their guy. All depends on who they're eyeballing

Reactions: Rozz

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He took the bird at hand rather than 2 in the bush. Got more than well-paid for a career year. I think that was just him jumping on an offer he couldn’t refuse.
Because that offer was so heavily bonus laden and his primary residence for most of the year is Ft Lauderdale…

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
watching the carolina/NYR game and man I would offer the moon for Svechnikov...Hurricanes kinda need a 2C since KK completely lost it but we do not have a 2c to spare... and I saw that they might lose 3 of their D's this summer..and the 3 others next summer..they do have nice D prospects in Morrow and Nikishin but, I assume they will need more.

So, if Brady Skjei and Brett Pesce decide to walk this summer, I would offer :

Mike Matheson + Mailloux or Xhekaj + Calgary's 1st round pick in 2025

for

Andrei Svechnikov
I'd do this in a second but unfortunately don't think Carolina bites. Slaf Dach Svech would be so fun

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because that offer was so heavily bonus laden and his primary residence for most of the year is Ft Lauderdale…
He could still keep that primary residence and play for LA, just as he’s keeping it now.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Basu, probably Godin and Engels get fed tidbits.

I think management does something like that to get a person with credibility to quash rumours without the team needing to always come out and quiet things down, sort of a way to keep the media and hopefully be extension the fans quiet so they're not as distracting to players and potentially be more of a desired destination.

The fans and media make it not the best place, especially with the media part thar likes to run it like TMZ than a sports team.

Basu mentioned on their podcast last year to keep an eye on Newhook and that's who they traded for.

Now, will they get all the info? No, but they'll get some so we, the fans see they're getting things correct and actually trust them when they say "hey, nothing is going on"..

With Bergevin nothing came out, so the trades were mostly unexpected, but the media was just a joke and had no info on anything.
I doubt they would purposely leak the Newhook trade. Very unprofessional. Not saying much for opposing GM.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
Ghule and Newhook for Marner
I think we could give up less and get Marner. Not because I’m saying “Marner sucks” or “Marner is average” because I think he’s a fantastic player. I think you need to consider (a) it’s the final year of his contract next year, (b) he has a $10.9 million cap hit which is a huge amount of money/would be somewhat of a deterrent for a trade, and (c) although I think he’s popular amongst the team, I think the leafs are looking to finally make drastic changes and shake things up. They aren’t getting rid of Neylander and Matthews. Tavares and Marner are likely on their way out.

If we took on his salary next year and offered Winnipegs First and maybe Jordan Harris it may be enough - maybe I’m crazy though. The only holdup may be that they are trading to us and we’re a rival. Plus, Marner has to waive his non trade clause.

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
Alright I'm gonna be honest here, when I came up with this, I was looking at it as "if I was GM of the Leafs" lol. The day before me and my pals would shooting the shit of what we would do if we would be in charge of the Leafs.
As a Habs fan, if you could be the Leafs GM for the day, you’d trade Matthews, Neylander, and Marner to the Habs for a bag of chips, a friendly handshake, and you’d retain their salary. I think we all would ;).

• Love
Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think we could give up less and get Marner. Not because I’m saying “Marner sucks” or “Marner is average” because I think he’s a fantastic player. I think you need to consider (a) it’s the final year of his contract next year, (b) he has a $10.9 million cap hit which is a huge amount of money/would be somewhat of a deterrent for a trade, and (c) although I think he’s popular amongst the team, I think the leafs are looking to finally make drastic changes and shake things up. They aren’t getting rid of Neylander and Matthews. Tavares and Marner are likely on their way out.

If we took on his salary next year and offered Winnipegs First and maybe Jordan Harris it may be enough - maybe I’m crazy though. The only holdup may be that they are trading to us and we’re a rival. Plus, Marner has to waive his non trade clause.

Just the pick and and Harris or added with Ghule?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hire a precocious group of young PI's with a talking dog to get to the bottom of it...

And not be surprised at all when, with a little help from the forum ghosts, they captured "Ken Hughes" only to reveal that he was actually BargainBin in disguise 🥸

Meh. Better off keeping Guhle than setting the clock back several years and hoping the pick surpasses him eventually & in time to bolster our existing core young core before their current contracts expire.

If the cost to offload Anderson & Dvorak and take a flyer on Laine, is only Mesar & a late 1st, I'm in!

Not small enough.

Duchene's 1@3M is a good precedent. No reason or benefit to roll out 4yrs given PLDs track record.

I like the idea of targetting Zegras, but that roster is considerably better with Guhle over Z.

Good context. It would be a difficult one to flip Guhle for Zegras. I would say today that I am 60/40 at not trading Guhle. I'm not a 100% no and it makes me think.

I do like the idea of adding Zegras but not sure what it takes. He's not a power forward but he's not that soft either. He does help our PP and offense. If we skip on this, not sure how long it will take to be able to add a talent like this up front.

Laine is an interesting one. Only 2 years but might stay. If the cost is manageable for us, I would do it.

Not going to comment on Dubois because too many are sensitive about it.

Reactions: Miller Time

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Calgary offered him 100 million.
That’s right - $84M to be exact w $64M in bonus payouts. Playing hockey is their livelihood, it’s all about maximizing take home earnings especially for top end players where we’re talking generational wealth

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Definitely hard to ignore the postive change in team performance of whichever team trades Dubois. I do question how Dubois would fit in with the team's locker room, not to mention the media attention that would come with having Dubois.

It will be interesting to look back in 3-5 years and see how it looks then. Is he still with the Kings or another team. If with another team, does it turn around or more of the same.

Let's Hope

He's going to try for sure. Teams will be calling us with their ideas too. They know where we stand as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Marner not waiving for the Habs. Think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad