HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Maybe, but I also think he's a soft, selfish player who would disappear once a tough playoff series began
I dont think its a good idea either but he does have the best playoff PPG of the core 4 guys.

Marner - 0.88 ppg
Matthews 0.87 ppg
Nylander - 0.80 PP
Tavares - 0.74 PPG

He has and will catch a lot of crap but Marner is not the reason they lost.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
What would you say if these chain of events happened...

1) Guhle for Zegras

2) Habs use our pick to draft a D (to replace Guhle). This unblocks our D clutter for this season and next.

3) Habs use pieces like the Anderson, Dvorak, Jets 1st, Mesar, to add Laine.

4) Dubois gets bought out and signs a small deal with the Habs. 4 years at $4M.

Slaf / Suzuki / Laine
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Dubois / Roy
Armia / Evans / Gallagher

RHP, Pezzetta, Ylonen, Farrell
Beck, Kapanen, Tuch

Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Struble, Barron, Harris, Kova, Engstrom
Not sure who we would draft on D.

Monty / Primeau
Fowler
According to Arpon Basu, you should definitely forget about Dubois in Montreal, in case they were any doubt.

He said in his latest podcast that the Habs won't touch him with a 10 foot pole.
Said that they never did have much interest in him and that they felt pressured by the public to make an offer (not sure about that one...).
That the whole process gave them a sour taste in their mouth and don't want to revisit Dubois at all.
I'm paraphrasing but you should really go check out his podcast. He goes on about it.

Or you can always just ignore it, like you usually do. ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
According to Arpon Basu, you should definitely forget about Dubois in Montreal, in case they were any doubt.

He said in his latest podcast that the Habs won't touch him with a 10 foot pole.
Said that they never did have much interest in him and that they felt pressured by the public to make an offer (not sure about that one...).
That the whole process gave them a sour taste in their mouth and don't want to revisit Dubois at all.
I'm paraphrasing but you should really go check out his podcast. He goes on about it.

Or you can always just ignore it, like you usually do. ;)

So Basu knows everything?

You know there were a lot of other things said in the post you replied to and you focused on Dubois only where it was the smaller add of all the moves? Who's the one obsessed with Dubois now? You got to take a step back and rethink it through right?

There is a shit load of other major moves and you only talked about Dubois? Seriously? ;)

Reactions: 26Mats

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

You know there were a lot of other things said in the post you replied to and you focused on Dubois only where it was the smaller add of all the moves? Who's the one obsessed with Dubois now? You got to take a step back and rethink it through right?

There is a shit load of other major moves and you only talked about Dubois? Seriously? ;)
I'm pretty sure he knows more we do.
But, like i said, you can always choose to ignore it if it doesn't fit your scenario.

Was i obligated to adress the whole post?
I commented only on Dubois because it was the part that i had new info on and i thought appropriate to put it there since you brought him up, again.

Already commented on Guhle before. Didn't want to post the same thing multiple times.
Verbeek said he wants a top4 RHD.
But maybe Verbeek too doesn't really know what he wants.

Reactions: BXN and Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

He was very adamant about it, he wouldn't stick his neck out that way based on a hunch.

He wasn't even speculating or leaving a door open, he flat out shut it down based on information he has which he implied was directly from the team, not through third party sources.

Dubois ain't leaving LA any time soon, such a deal is way too complicated to make right now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was very adamant about it, he wouldn't stick his neck out that way based on a hunch.

He wasn't even speculating or leaving a door open, he flat out shut it down based on information he has which he implied was directly from the team, not through third party sources.

Dubois ain't leaving LA any time soon, such a deal is way too complicated to make right now.

I'm going to let you guys focus on Dubois only at this point.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think Basu, probably Godin and Engels get fed tidbits.

I think management does something like that to get a person with credibility to quash rumours without the team needing to always come out and quiet things down, sort of a way to keep the media and hopefully be extension the fans quiet so they're not as distracting to players and potentially be more of a desired destination.

The fans and media make it not the best place, especially with the media part thar likes to run it like TMZ than a sports team.

Basu mentioned on their podcast last year to keep an eye on Newhook and that's who they traded for.

Now, will they get all the info? No, but they'll get some so we, the fans see they're getting things correct and actually trust them when they say "hey, nothing is going on"..

With Bergevin nothing came out, so the trades were mostly unexpected, but the media was just a joke and had no info on anything.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Basu, probably Godin and Engels get fed tidbits.

I think management does something like that to get a person with credibility to quash rumours without the team needing to always come out and quiet things down, sort of a way to keep the media and hopefully be extension the fans quiet so they're not as distracting to players and potentially be more of a desired destination.

The fans and media make it not the best place, especially with the media part thar likes to run it like TMZ than a sports team.

Basu mentioned on their podcast last year to keep an eye on Newhook and that's who they traded for.

Now, will they get all the info? No, but they'll get some so we, the fans see they're getting things correct and actually trust them when they say "hey, nothing is going on"..

With Bergevin nothing came out, so the trades were mostly unexpected, but the media was just a joke and had no info on anything.

I think it's possible they leak some of this stuff to steer media/fans away but I doubt it happens as much as some talk about it.

Should they care about what the media and fans chit chat about? It's not something easy to control. If they are focus on that part, they are distracted IMO.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think it's possible they leak some of this stuff to steer media/fans away but I doubt it happens as much as some talk about it.

Should they care about what the media and fans chit chat about? It's not something easy to control. If they are focus on that part, they are distracted IMO.
Doesn't see they're focusing on it, but every so often push it one way, or try and quiet it.

The media is pretty much a joke here and there's a percentage of type of media that lives more for drama than reporting anything of actual substance.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

1) Guhle for Zegras
I wouldn't be happy and i'm probably not as high on Guhle as most here.
2) Habs use our pick to draft a D (to replace Guhle). This unblocks our D clutter for this season and next.
And makes it significantly worse
Wouldn't be mad at that, worth a roll of the dice.
NON.

Reactions: BXN

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

1) Guhle for Zegras

Slaf / Suzuki / Laine
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Dubois / Roy

Beck, Kapanen, Tuch

Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Monty / Primeau
Fowler
Seriously whats this obsession with Dubois.... the guy is a loser hes the last thing i would want around our players

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

1) Guhle for Zegras

Slaf / Suzuki / Laine
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Dubois / Roy

Beck, Kapanen, Tuch

Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Monty / Primeau
Fowler

I'd be open to taking a flyer on Laine at a very low price. Despite the rumors, I'm not sure Columbus are looking to sell low at this time.

Trading Guhle for Zegras depends on how good the dman we draft, compared to how good the forward we pass on.

It's essentially:

Guhle and lindstrom/Demidov/Iginla/Catton/Eiserman/Senecke

Vs.

Zegras and Parekh/Levshunov/Buium

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Kaliyev is someone I've brought up as an interesting candidate to acquire in a trade from LA. A buy low player you can insert in your third line and add some scoring on the PP particularly.

While some of these look good, the fact he was scratched could be something off the ice or at practice, coaches maybe don't trust him. Blake was also not tender in his post-mortem press conference, saying Kaliyev didn't help the team when he did play.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Which is an interesting take since he’s the Leafs leading playoff scorer over last 7-years @ 50 pts and only positive player amongst core-4, likely because he’s the most defensively aware
Perhaps. He’s still 25% responsible for them constantly choking 😉. And in the series I’ve watched him, isn’t doing much. Example being when matthews was injured, He was missing - except for that beautiful goal in that 3rd period loss. He reminds me of gaudreau. Great regular season player who is invisible when games get tough with heavy checking. Not sure habs should be spending 10-12 mill on a winger who will be 29-30 by the time habs are relevant. As mentioned, His production is always way down come playoff time. Not sure being their best point producer in the playoffs is a compliment to him or an indictment on how bad they all are in the post season

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

1) Guhle for Zegras

Slaf / Suzuki / Laine
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Dubois / Roy

Beck, Kapanen, Tuch

Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Monty / Primeau
Fowler
This is a good read.

But after watching the intensity/physicality/skill displayed in the first game of Florida/Boston series, I would suggest your proposed line-up would be shattered by either of those teams. You are, in this writer's respectful opinion, placing far too much reliance on players who have never consistently displayed the high compete level necessary to win, who are often injured and who have yet to show that they can compete and excel at the NHL level.

I would also suggest that Hughes will be adopting a much more staid approach in the realization that this team is not one or two players from being a legitimate contender. Watching Boston and Florida play last night will provide any observer possessing a modicum of hockey insight all the confirmation needed to reach that determination. Hughes has done everything to accumulate draft capital and, unless he is blown away by an offer, he will use those draft choices to build organizational depth that will afford his team a realistic opportunity to compete against the league's heavyweights.

There are no magic beans to ensuring a successful re-build. There are no shortcuts. We have been undermined by almost three decades of organizational rot. Patience is a necessary virtue in this instance.

Nevertheless, an enjoyable and creative read.

Reactions: BXN

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Can you put these trade targets in order, from your favorite one to least favorite :

- Kaapo Kakko
- Peyton Krebs
- Alex Turcotte
- Dylan Holloway
- Jack Quinn
- Alexander Holtz
- Vasili Podkolzin

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Can you put these trade targets in order, from your favorite one to least favorite :

- Kaapo Kakko
- Peyton Krebs
- Alex Turcotte
- Dylan Holloway
- Jack Quinn
- Alexander Holtz
- Vasili Podkolzin
Pass…. none of them will help Habs get to next level

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

- Kaapo Kakko
- Peyton Krebs
- Alex Turcotte
- Dylan Holloway
- Jack Quinn
- Alexander Holtz
- Vasili Podkolzin
I wouldn't mind Holtz as I think he may provide some nice secondary scoring if given the opportunity.

I did like Quinn up until all his injuries. Feel bad for the kid

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

- Kaapo Kakko
- Peyton Krebs
- Alex Turcotte
- Dylan Holloway
- Jack Quinn
- Alexander Holtz
- Vasili Podkolzin
Kakko - Been a while and hasn't shown anything, so wouldn't pay much.

Krebs is Krap.

Turcotte is worth a 4th.

Holloway is worth a late 2nd, so have to imagine Edmonton just hangs on to him

Jack Quinn - injured quite often, hut would be worth the gamble.

Holtz - might be worth it.

Podkolzin - pass as I think he struggles again and goes back to Russia, otherwise would be a nice candidate for the AHL.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

- Kaapo Kakko
- Peyton Krebs
- Alex Turcotte
- Dylan Holloway
- Jack Quinn
- Alexander Holtz
- Vasili Podkolzin

-Jack Quinn

-Alexander Holtz

[end of list]

Holloway has more value to Edmonton than on the ice, so there's no real way to get him without overpaying. I'd rather Montreal play the guys they have over the rest.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is a good read.

But after watching the intensity/physicality/skill displayed in the first game of Florida/Boston series, I would suggest your proposed line-up would be shattered by either of those teams. You are, in this writer's respectful opinion, placing far too much reliance on players who have never consistently displayed the high compete level necessary to win, who are often injured and who have yet to show that they can compete and excel at the NHL level.

I would also suggest that Hughes will be adopting a much more staid approach in the realization that this team is not one or two players from being a legitimate contender. Watching Boston and Florida play last night will provide any observer possessing a modicum of hockey insight all the confirmation needed to reach that determination. Hughes has done everything to accumulate draft capital and, unless he is blown away by an offer, he will use those draft choices to build organizational depth that will afford his team a realistic opportunity to compete against the league's heavyweights.

There are no magic beans to ensuring a successful re-build. There are no shortcuts. We have been undermined by almost three decades of organizational rot. Patience is a necessary virtue in this instance.

Nevertheless, an enjoyable and creative read.

Just a wild idea on what Hughes could try to pull off wondering what the reaction would be.

I have no idea on what Hughes will try this summer but I do think he wants to add pieces to the roster now. Maybe not like the level you seen in my post but I do think he is going to try for 1 or 2 trades.

So, you would not like that roster if Hughes did something like that? I'm assuming so.

- Kaapo Kakko
- Peyton Krebs
- Alex Turcotte
- Dylan Holloway
- Jack Quinn
- Alexander Holtz
- Vasili Podkolzin

Difficult to rank IMO. What I do know is none of them have Dach type ceiling level. Personally, I think if we make a move, we are after someone better than Roy. Otherwise, we are just cluttering our roster with more middle 6F types.

Very curious to see what kind of target Hughes goes after. Dach and then Newhook. Then what?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Could Beniers be in play? Seattle is in a strange situation. As currently constructed they're too good to be able to scout the top draft picks, they're not close to being contenders, and their prospect pool doesn't inspire much confidence.

He's an RFA this summer and the Kraken would only consider trades that start with our 1st round pick.

I'd use our first pick on Beniers if it was the 6th or 7th pick. The question is: what else would they need from us that would provide immediate results on the ice to help them get into the playoffs?

Could we upgrade from 26th to 9th by dealing them Savard, Harris and Armia (retain 50% on Armia)?

At say 9th, we should be able to land Iginla or Sennecke.

Then maybe a Guhle for Zegras, and we are in business. If we are concerned about experience on D for the next 2 or so years, , we could sign a Matt Roy in UFA, who is over 4 years younger than Savard and probably not too, too expensive given his modest offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad