HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Could Beniers be in play? Seattle is in a strange situation. As currently constructed they're too good to be able to scout the top draft picks, they're not close to being contenders, and their prospect pool doesn't inspire much confidence.

He's an RFA this summer and the Kraken would only consider trades that start with our 1st round pick.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Could Beniers be in play? Seattle is in a strange situation. As currently constructed they're too good to be able to scout the top draft picks, they're not close to being contenders, and their prospect pool doesn't inspire much confidence.

He's an RFA this summer and the Kraken would only consider trades that start with our 1st round pick.
He’s their Suzuki. He’s not going anywhere.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He’s not in the playoffs which is the issue. He disappears in the biggest games. In the 21 times he played in a game 5, game 6, or game 7 he’s scored a total of 1 goal.

I’m also sure he’s going to want a contract similar to what Nylander got (8 years at $11.5 million AAV). I wouldn’t be happy if Montreal gave up good players for Marner and gave him that type of contract.
Yet over last 8-years he’s the highest scoring player on the Leafs w 50pts…

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
But we are a team that cannot even make it to the playoffs. Having a guy like that suddenly accelerate our development very quickly. Far less effort to produce, less tight games for us. It's less pressure to the whole roster to win games.

If they get to the playoffs and can’t get past the 1st round does it really matter?

They’ll get back to the playoffs in the next few years. I think they need to keep adding players that can win in the playoffs, not just get a team there, especially at a very high cap hit.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
But we are a team that cannot even make it to the playoffs. Having a guy like that suddenly accelerate our development very quickly. Far less effort to produce, less tight games for us. It's less pressure to the whole roster to win games.
Yeah, but then we eventually get into the playoffs and he disappears while we pay him $11M. Not a good thing

Reactions: Habs Halifax

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Seattle has pretty good prospects considering they've only been in the league 3 years. Wright, Firkus, Rehkopf, Goyette, Nyman & Winterton are all legitimate forward prospects.

They have an interesting goalie prospect in Kokko.
They're not that strong at D. I'm expecting them to take a D in this year's draft.

And, no, they won't be trading Beniers. He struggled a bit in his 2nd year, but the whole team did.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Fair enough...

IMO, even if you manage to offload Dvorak, that's just way more money than I want to pay for a guy whose going to play middle 6 for me.

If all things go according to plan, he's not playing ahead of Suzuki/Dach, so 5M+ for 3-4 years is way too steep for me.

Don't forget to price in the cap increase...

Cap jumping 4M$ is going to skew up the UFA/vet contract offers this summer, and it's likely the cap increases further over next 3-4 yrs.

It's one thing to be ok rolling with Dvorak (@4.45) next year and hoping Beck, Mesar, Kapanen etc. make a rapid transition... But if one feels that the Habs need to upgrade our 3C & C depth in general as part of the push into playoff lock, it's either going to cost 5M$+ on the UFA market, or quality assets in trade to get a cost controlled/RFA option.

Monahan fits that bill and has shown to be a great fit internally. I'd roll the dice.

I thought about this in 5 seconds, calm down, bro. This is a message board with fans shooting the shit. You take this way too seriously.
Awww did I hurt your feelings?

Sorry, I thought this was a message board. Have a take, don't suck.

If your take sucks, and it gets pointed out, no need to take it personally.

Taking yourself too seriously indeed. It was a very bad trade proposal... Not a big deal.

Reactions: 417

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I wonder if Minnesota or Detroit would trade their pick 13OA/15OA for Matheson??
So you trade a vereran defenseman, playing 25 minutes a night who scored 60+ points this year, who skates like the wind and is a top 3 puck moving defenseman for magic beans? For the hope the child you draft at 13 or 15 pans out and becomes a mainstay on the Habs?

Got it! :facepalm:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
People making x plans based on y hypothesis to get Dubois look more and more like wile e coyote chasing the roadrunner. While their perseverance is cute, this won t end well….

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
So you trade a vereran defenseman, playing 25 minutes a night who scored 60+ points this year, who skates like the wind and is a top 3 puck moving defenseman for magic beans? For the hope the child you draft at 13 or 15 pans out and becomes a mainstay on the Habs?

It would have to be a first ++ to move him, most likely at least 1 promising prospect.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think Habs will have 2 picks in top 15. Romanov and #98 got the Habs the 13th pick. Struble and #27 will get us about same.
I don't think struble will be the one who gets moved. Harris, Kovacevic, Barron are all on the block before Struble. He's too well rounded. He's potentially a more talented Josh Gorges-like heart and soul guy.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Francis has a mandate to be very aggressive this summer, Kraken ownership are very concerned w upcoming announcement by NBA awarding Seattle a franchise and want to be highly competitive now like VGK to firmly establish their position in the market - per Friedman & Marek from last week’s 32 Thoughts

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Maybe, but I also think he's a soft, selfish player who would disappear once a tough playoff series began
Which is an interesting take since he’s the Leafs leading playoff scorer over last 7-years @ 50 pts and only positive player amongst core-4, likely because he’s the most defensively aware

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Which is an interesting take since he’s the Leafs leading playoff scorer over last 7-years @ 50 pts and only positive player amongst core-4, likely because he’s the most defensively aware
Marner's production still drops by 21% during the playoffs over his career.

This year it dropped by 65%.

That's expected for a rookie, not for a veteran who has played 8 seasons.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would you say if these chain of events happened...

1) Guhle for Zegras

2) Habs use our pick to draft a D (to replace Guhle). This unblocks our D clutter for this season and next.

3) Habs use pieces like the Anderson, Dvorak, Jets 1st, Mesar, to add Laine.

4) Dubois gets bought out and signs a small deal with the Habs. 4 years at $4M.

Slaf / Suzuki / Laine
Zegras / Dach / Caufield
Newhook / Dubois / Roy
Armia / Evans / Gallagher

RHP, Pezzetta, Ylonen, Farrell
Beck, Kapanen, Tuch

Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux

Struble, Barron, Harris, Kova, Engstrom
Not sure who we would draft on D.

Monty / Primeau
Fowler

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Marner's production still drops by 21% during the playoffs over his career.

This year it dropped by 65%.

That's expected for a rookie, not for a veteran who has played 8 seasons.
It’s a relative measure: how does that compare to Tavares, Matthews & Nylander?

There’s also the defensive game which is ultra important during playoffs - Marner is their lead PKer and as mentioned the only member of core-4 whose a positive player during playoff career

Tavares is the weak link not Marner - JT doesn’t bring playoff offense let alone 200 ft game

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s a relative measure: how does that compare to Tavares, Matthews & Nylander?

There’s also the defensive game which is ultra important during playoffs - Marner is their lead PKer and as mentioned the only member of core-4 whose a positive player during playoff career

Tavares is the weak link not Marner - JT doesn’t bring playoff offense let alone 200 ft game

Ideally, both Tavares and Marner are gone. They bring in someone like Monahan as a UFA and both Tavares/Marner bring in help on D/goaltending.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yes precisely. You have to deal from a position of strength to get valuable assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad