HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know how PLD got so over rated?? His stats for big man in weak junior league were only 1.5ppg. Not amazing. Only averages 54 points over 82 NHL games. Which is good, but not high end.

It's much deeper than that with Dubois's potential. He's more like a 60-70 pts guy under the right situation (playing with talent) and he offers that big body that skates well which frees up space for the talented players on his line.

Yeah, he doesn't have a good character resume and there are trends. But I don't ignore all the trends and only look at some. One of the trends I clearly see is he fades when placed with less talent but he produces when placed with talent. When I was interested him last year, I wanted to only pay him $7M or $7.5M max. Kings over reached with both the trade and contract and then played him 3C pretty much most of the season. Horrible management IMO.

With me, it's a usage problem. Expecting him to carry a line by himself is miss management for what he provides. It's not the type of player he is. I hope the Kings do buy him out before he turns age 26 on Jun 24th and then, we can sign him for 3 or 4 years at like $4M max.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
So what do y
It's much deeper than that with Dubois's potential. He's more like a 60-70 pts guy under the right situation (playing with talent) and he offers that big body that skates well which frees up space for the talented players on his line.

Yeah, he doesn't have a good character resume and there are trends. But I don't ignore all the trends and only look at some. One of the trends I clearly see is he fades when placed with less talent but he produces when placed with talent. When I was interested him last year, I wanted to only pay him $7M or $7.5M max. Kings over reached with both the trade and contract and then played him 3C pretty much most of the season. Horrible management IMO.

With me, it's a usage problem. Expecting him to carry a line by himself is miss management for what he provides. It's not the type of player he is. I hope the Kings do buy him out before he turns age 26 on Jun 24th and then, we can sign him for 3 or 4 years at like $4M max.
So what do you think where Dubois would be in our lineup? Second line with Dach?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So what do y
So what do you think where Dubois would be in our lineup? Second line with Dach?

Hard to say but I'd have him with Suzuki and Caufield to start. Slaf moves with Dach and not sure who I would put as the other winger. Inside edge to Newhook.

I am not in love with Dubois but I do see some chance at opertunity by offloading one or two of our anchor contracts and also getting Dubois to be a 50-70 pts forward by managing better usage.

Dubois would be my powerforward winger who can play center if we run into injury issues. One way or another, we need more 50-70 pts forwards who are physical beasts. If not Dubois, we will have to find one at some point.

This is the deal starting point or no deal.
* Dubois (retention down to $7M or $7.5M... Can't make more than Suzuki on our team)
* Kings 25th or 26th 1st with lottery protection only. I don't want the 24th 1st.
for
* Gallagher and/or Anderson (both or one... TBD)
* Harris and/or Ylonen (both or one... TBD)

Reactions: durojean

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't know how PLD got so over rated?? His stats for big man in weak junior league were only 1.5ppg. Not amazing. Only averages 54 points over 82 NHL games. Which is good, but not high end.
Happens all the time - hockey people are trained to salivate when they see a player w size + skating ability. Chad Kilger, Benoit Pouliot plenty of examples of those types of players being drafted early and lasting much longer than they should in the NHL all based on size + skating potential

As MSL said when asked how he was able to keep going despite not being drafted, not being offered an NHL contract, being waived etc.

“I just kept trying to find ways to make myself a better hockey player, and kept improving when others simply didn’t…there was no magic”

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If he was the same exact player, but signed for 3-4 years at 5M+, we wouldn't be as enthusiastic.
Who is going to pay Sean Monahan that?

3-4 years duration is foreseeable, though.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The bolded about you wanting to pay him $7-7.5 million is a lie. Anybody can go back to the PLD thread from last offseason to see it. You were advocating for paying Dubois $9 million to outbid the Kings at all costs. Bringing up guys like Hintz and Horvat as comparable. People told you that was an awful idea and you continued to get defensive and preach that Dubois is something he’s not. Similar to what you’re doing in this thread now.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Who is going to pay Sean Monahan that?

3-4 years duration is foreseeable, though.
Based on the season he just had, i’m sure that's what he's looking for, that's what the market dictates he should get (59pts in 83 games, strong on faceoffs, can play in the top 9, all 3 forward positions, special teams).

I suspect some team will give it to him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Ghule and Newhook for Marner
Is this a joke?

Terrible for us on so many levels and exactly what the Laffs need to fix their biggest roster needs (cheap/cost controlled top pairing D & top 6 winger, both with large untapped ceilings likely to provide significant value at their respective cap hits the next few seasons).

This may be one of the worst proposals I've seen from a Habs pov, kudos.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's fully relevant.

People are not hating on French Canadian players, they specifically don't want PLD on the Habs. He's the player being discussed.

Did you read what I was replying to?

The poster generalized with French-Canadians in response to Dubois. He didn't just stick to Dubois. Compounded with another poster who also generalized with French-Canadian players, not solely Dubois.

Go back and read it again.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Monahan on a 1 year deal at 2M was a luxury and he's remembered fondly here because of it.

If he was the same exact player, but signed for 3-4 years at 5M+, we wouldn't be as enthusiastic.
Disagree.

I'd take him on that kind of contract right now and be happy (preferably 3 vs 4 years).

He's a great fit to what we need in our middle 6, fits in great to the culture, and has already demonstrated the positive mentoring aspect.

Add him, find a way to offload Dvorak.

Had he signed that last summer, it would've been planned as way too risky after his 1st injury shortened year... And we'd have lost out on the WPG pick....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dubois at this point kind of reminds me of Denis Rodman before he joined the Bulls.

Some people are worried about Dubois not producing and it's valid but they also tend to follow the heard of sheep and bandwagon parties. Following things around like the latest flavor of the month. Most of them didn't want to trade for him when he was with the Jets so we can't blame them too much for being consistent. Trying to limit risks during our rebuild/transition years which has to be respected as well.

Risks are there yes but if we are able to unload one or two of our anchor contracts, get Dubois with retention, Add a future 1st, and also have him return to a 60 pts forward who provides physicality, it does have the potential to becoming a great trade for us. I have lots of faith MSL gets the most out of him.

Not an automatic no for me but there are parts of the deal that are must haves if we are discussing the trade further:
* One or two of our anchor contracts going the other way (Gallagher/Anderson... 3 years left)
* Future 1st with lottery protection coming with Dubois (25th or 26th drafts... I don't want the 24 1st)
* Dubois with retention below both Suzuki and Caufield.

If the Kings don't like all 3 parameters to start discussion, I quickly tell them we are out. Just like we told the Jets when the price to acquire was too high.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Disagree.

I'd take him on that kind of contract right now and be happy (preferably 3 vs 4 years).

He's a great fit to what we need in our middle 6, fits in great to the culture, and has already demonstrated the positive mentoring aspect.

Had he signed that last summer, it would've been planned as way too risky after his 1st injury shortened year... And we'd have lost out on the WPG pick....
Fair enough...

IMO, even if you manage to offload Dvorak, that's just way more money than I want to pay for a guy whose going to play middle 6 for me.

If all things go according to plan, he's not playing ahead of Suzuki/Dach, so 5M+ for 3-4 years is way too steep for me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Disagree.

I can see Monahan getting lots of 3x $4M offers. More than 3 years and more than $4M becomes a risk IMO. He's rebounded yes and is healthy yes but he does have a history of injuries that could pop right back up very quickly. I think most reasonable GM's would approach this the same.

Monahan should not be paid as a 2nd line asset. Whoever does this is making a mistake. He should be paid as a middle 6F

Fair enough...

IMO, even if you manage to offload Dvorak, that's just way more money than I want to pay for a guy whose going to play middle 6 for me.

If all things go according to plan, he's not playing ahead of Suzuki/Dach, so 5M+ for 3-4 years is way too steep for me.

3 years at $4M is the sweet spot for me on Monahan.

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Based on the season he just had, i’m sure that's what he's looking for, that's what the market dictates he should get (59pts in 83 games, strong on faceoffs, can play in the top 9, all 3 forward positions, special teams).

I suspect some team will give it to him.
Long and significant injury history mitigates against that, IMHO.

What might drive the price somewhat higher is a bidding war between several teams looking to shore up their center position.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Let's get Danault back!!!

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Danault - Dach
Armia - Newhook - Gallagher
Evans/RHP - Dvorak/Evans - Anderson/Pezzetta/Evans

Evans should be ideally playing on the 4th line but could also play on the 3rd line
Oh…we’re back to wanting to finishing 8th and losing in 1st round again

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Long and significant injury history mitigates against that, IMHO.
Agreed...if not for his significant injury history, he'd be looking at an even more lucrative contract offer IMO.
What might drive the price somewhat higher is a bidding war between several teams looking to shore up their center position.
As usual in free agency, you're always overpaying for the most coveted assets and given that free agency isn't what it used to be, he won't have trouble cashing in.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can see Monahan getting lots of 3x $4M offers. More than 3 years and more than $4M becomes a risk IMO. …

3 years at $4M is the sweet spot for me on Monahan.
Hockey News forecast, FWIW:

He'll be 30 when the new season starts, but unlike Lindholm, you could probably fetch him for two, perhaps three years, maybe four if you want to stretch it, at, say, $3-$3.5 million per season.

It’s just one publication and lots can happen until UFA Frenzy, but since Monahan liked it here and was valued by his teammates, I wouldn’t count out the Habs as a suitor on a sub-$4M per contract, 3-4 year term.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hockey News forecast, FWIW:

He'll be 30 when the new season starts, but unlike Lindholm, you could probably fetch him for two, perhaps three years, maybe four if you want to stretch it, at, say, $3-$3.5 million per season.

It’s just one publication and lots can happen until UFA Frenzy, but since Monahan liked it here and was valued by his teammates, I wouldn’t count out the Habs as a suitor on a sub-$4M per contract, 3-4 year term.

Depends on who signs him. If it's the Avs and they are a legit contender, the AAV comes down a bit because Monahan has a chance at a cup.

If it's the Habs who might chase a wild card spot, AAV might be closer to $4M vs $3M.

There will be lots of interest but on team friendly deals type interest.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ghule and Newhook for Marner

Marner becomes like Gaudreau very quickly when he is not surrounded by the talent the Leafs have. Most people know this. Marner is a great skater with great vision and play making but he belongs on a team with talent/grit around him. Gaudreau on the Flames vs the Blue Jackets is a great comparison. Great talents but need help

What does Marner do for us? Make us a regular season champ and duds in the playoffs? We already have two smurfs like Caufield and Hutson. Lets not add another one where it looks all flashy but no results come.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Marner becomes like Gaudreau very quickly when he is not surrounded by the talent the Leafs have. Most people know this. Marner is a great skater with great vision and play making but he belongs on a team with talent/grit around him. Gaudreau on the Flames vs the Blue Jackets is a great comparison. Great talents but need help

What does Marner do for us? Make us a regular season champ and duds in the playoffs? We already have two smurfs like Caufield and Hutson. Lets not add another one where it looks all flashy but no results come.
Geez, Marner, draft Catton….with Hutson and Caufield, RHP and Farrell, we’d have enough shrimps to feed a whale.

I want Lindstrom and Beaudoin with our 2 firsts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad