HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I feel that all the Zegras talk is so much like the PLD talk. Then KH goes out and does something we never expected (Dach)

KH will surprise us again, you watch. A player that all of us will go "what the " just watch
I'm wondering if there could be a possible deal in the works for our 1st.

Hypothetically.......We have a specific target in mind, pick any player, we go to that team and say we want this guy and we'll pick whoever you want at #5 as the main piece in the deal. Of course pending contract extensions, full recon is done on the player background lol, etc.....

Could this be a realistic option or pure playstation mentality? Is there a team out there that's needing to change things up because what they're doing just isn't working...ie Buffalo, Anaheim, Ottawa, etc.... A player in their early 20s, established and would fit what we're wanting to and how we're wanting to play.

Jus throwing shit out there for conversation sakes because really...why not (No Zegras :))

Reactions: Milhouse40

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I feel that all the Zegras talk is so much like the PLD talk. Then KH goes out and does something we never expected (Dach)

KH will surprise us again, you watch. A player that all of us will go "what the " just watch
Just to add an interesting note, McCagg is adamant that Dach was not Plan A either, and that the Habs had Noah Ostlund ranked very highly in the draft and wanted to take him, but they thought he wouldn't be there at 13 so they settled for Dach

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

There where lots of rumor that MTL was in the mix for PLD last year. Seems like there is equally the same level of chatter with Zegras. I think it is reasonable to think that KH will be exploring this option, but I also think it is reasonable to think that similar to the PLD situation, he wont overpay for a player like Zegras.

I also put more faith into him pulling a deal for someone else. That is why I though Perfetti could be a target given respective organization needs.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Just to add an interesting note, McCagg is adamant that Dach was not Plan A either, and that the Habs had Noah Ostlund ranked very highly in the draft and wanted to take him, but they thought he wouldn't be there at 13 so they settled for Dach
One of the talking heads I think Marek & Friedman on 32 Thoughts said, Chi had two teams who offered picks around same vicinity - Habs and a mystery team, which is why Habs added an extra pick (66OA) to get the deal done

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't like the idea of trading Guhle. Big mobile D who is proven at a young age. Love to add Zegras but not at the cost of Guhle. Rather trade Struble, Jets 1st, and Mesar. Ducks might bite on that... regardless of what their fans say. That's 3 very good young assets that helps their rebuild.

Call me crazy but I prefer to trade the 5th OA pick for Zegras vs including Guhle.

What's your assessment on Zegras? Proven 60 pts forward but does he have 80+ in him? Would we be spoiling him with more talent to work with and then having to pay him more like the Leafs did with Marner? Zegras to me is a legit 60-80 pts guy but he's more on the soft side as a forward and someone like Dach or Suzuki will help him reach his ceiling. That's what's on my mind about Zegras anyways. Points are points but I want hockey players who can play playoff style and not fade away when the games gets rough.

At the end of the day, Zegras is a 60 pts forward. I hope that's what we are paying for, not a 80+ forward who may never reach it.

If Zegras is a 60 point forward, is Caufield a 25 goal scorer? If we believe players peak by age 22-23, that would make sense.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
There where lots of rumor that MTL was in the mix for PLD last year. Seems like there is equally the same level of chatter with Zegras. I think it is reasonable to think that KH will be exploring this option, but I also think it is reasonable to think that similar to the PLD situation, he wont overpay for a player like Zegras.

I also put more faith into him pulling a deal for someone else. That is why I though Perfetti could be a target given respective organization needs.
I could be wrong but I believe a saw an article that said Hughes didn't even get to the point of making an offer for PLD. Much of the rumours and smoke was pure speculation and never got serious. Maybe Chevy started asking for prospects/picks Hughes didn't consider trading or he was waiting/hoping PLD would hold out and lower his value before engaging.

I just don't think Habs were as involved in PLD as many thought they would be.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
A lot of people talking about Zegras and his potential play in the playoffs.. You don't know how someone's going to play in the playoffs until they reach the playoffs. The guy hasn't played one game there yet. If we judged players based off of their playoff performances only, you may as well induct Dale Weise and Rene Bourque into the Hall of Fame right now.

Edit: I didn't even know this until checking, but Zegras HAS played in the playoffs... the AHL playoffs, where I'd argue there would be just as much physicality, especially against a young first-round draft pick who likes to be flashy. He had 3 pts in 3 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23 and 417

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
It's playoffs or bust for 90% of Habs fans.

HF breeds a rare form of super fan that wants to tank for 3-5 straight years to get good players, to hopefully get wins later on.

Most fans just want to cheer for wins, and they want them to happen sooner.

People are having a hard time understanding that a rebuild is aimed at acquiring talent, it is not based on time but on results. People asking for a hard 5yr tanking schedule fail to understand that you can pivot to a competitive team sooner if the key element are there. Equally, people wanting to push to compete too soon fail have a fairy tale view of the current roster level of talent.

Reality is that this team is still far from a contending team and accelerating this by signing ufa wont cut it.

I could be wrong but I believe a saw an article that said Hughes didn't even get to the point of making an offer for PLD. Much of the rumours and smoke was pure speculation and never got serious. Maybe Chevy started asking for prospects/picks Hughes didn't consider trading or he was waiting/hoping PLD would hold out and lower his value before engaging.

ah! I missed that one. Still reassuring that he didn't engaged in a bidding war.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Think I would do this.

* Dubois for 7 years @ $7.5M
vs
* Gallagher for 3 @ $6.5M
* Dvorak for 1 (Habs can retain 50% to make the cap work better for LA next season).
* Harris
* Maybe we add a B prospect

Very good chance both Dubois and Gallagher waive their NMC. Gallagher gets to play with Danault again.

Risky to take on Dubois for 7 years at $7.5M but he can't be that done. I think MSL gets the best out of him and we can use his size up front.

• Wow
Reactions: Deebs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lehkonen is overrated. he is a very good player but his production is not good enough for the line he is playing on. They got a reasonable return for him. Barron is still developing and the pick hasn't been made or traded yet.

No, he is not over-rated. He is a second line forward who is good defensively, produces in the playoffs, and whose AAV is slightly on the low side. His term is also reasonable.

Lehkonen was a decent player but he fainted every time he got a scoring opportunity. Maybe he was crewed up by idiot coaches but he didn't start to produce until he got to Colorado. In any event he is too old for the Habs.

LOL, he is signed through ages 29-31.

Barron is very good offensively. He might improve defensively and with decision making or he may have no hockey sense.

Agreed that we should not give up on Barron yet. No need to rush Hutson or Reinbacher. Struble and Xhekaj are waiver-exempt. No need for either of them to be 7th Ds.

Matheson-Guhle
Xhekaj or Struble-Savard
Harris-Barron-Kovacevic are 5-6-7

Mailloux and Reinbacher are not that far away, a year for Orville and months for Mailloux. Hutson is a wild card.

Personally, I'm open to trading Guhle for a good top-6 forward (not for scrap).

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
One of the talking heads I think Marek & Friedman on 32 Thoughts said, Chi had two teams who offered picks around same vicinity - Habs and a mystery team, which is why Habs added an extra pick (66OA) to get the deal done
It wasn't a mystery team, it was revealed right at the draft that the other team was Columbus (who had #12).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I would not believe that for one bit. I am sure Hughes talked with the Jets a lot but Hughes probably came to conclusion that we could not give them a young NHL body like Vilardi.

So maybe this is why there was not a formal offer. No doubt in my mind Hughes was in talks with the Jets.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It appears Hutson is ready in terms of the offensive areas but with the defensive areas, it's too hard to know after 2 NHL games. I have faith he comes into camp ready but I'm also OK with him starting in the AHL.

Making moves? I'm sure we will try. We have to assume Hughes make a few of them this summer. Hopefully we are not making moves for the sake of it and they are good moves for the organization

What could he learn at the AHL level with all the goons?
He's elite offensively, that we saw right away in his 2 first NHL games. He'll only get better.

He do need some seasoning defensively but that also can be done in the NHL as Q. Hughes did.
He won't be in the NHL for his prowess defensively, let the other guys get better defensively.

As for the moves, I think KH has so many assets that he could pull more than one big trades if the opportunity presents itself

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What could he learn at the AHL level with all the goons?
He's elite offensively, that we saw right away in his 2 first NHL games. He'll only get better.

He do need some seasoning defensively but that also can be done in the NHL as Q. Hughes did.
He won't be in the NHL for his prowess defensively, let the other guys get better defensively.

As for the moves, I think KH has so many assets that he could pull more than one big trades if the opportunity presents itself

How to play D structure in his own end... against players stronger than him.

Reactions: Saundies and bsl

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Could there be a case where you and I and someone else could have a difference of opinion about this?

Like I said, speak for yourself. I want to see a better team next year. If they fall short of the playoffs, so be it -- no one needs to get fired -- but they should be playing competitive games all throughout the whole season for the greater good of the team.
Of course the team and coaches will compete and try to win but i can promise you management wont force moves to make the playoffs this season matter fact Hughes already confirmed this we still have many holes and a young def im sure HuGo are looking more at the 2025/2026 season to start thinking about playoffs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm wondering if there could be a possible deal in the works for our 1st.

Hypothetically.......We have a specific target in mind, pick any player, we go to that team and say we want this guy and we'll pick whoever you want at #5 as the main piece in the deal. Of course pending contract extensions, full recon is done on the player background lol, etc.....

Could this be a realistic option or pure playstation mentality? Is there a team out there that's needing to change things up because what they're doing just isn't working...ie Buffalo, Anaheim, Ottawa, etc.... A player in their early 20s, established and would fit what we're wanting to and how we're wanting to play.

Jus throwing shit out there for conversation sakes because really

Why not simply trade them the 5 pick?

Reactions: Rozz

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I think I would trade Winnipeg 1st pick to get rid of Gallagher contract this summer.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Think I would do this.

vs
* Dvorak for 1 (Habs can retain 50% to make the cap work better for LA next season).
* Harris

Very good chance both Dubois and Gallagher waive their NMC. Gallagher gets to play with Danault again.

Risky to take on Dubois for 7 years at $7.5M but he can't be that done. I think MSL gets the best out of him and we can use his size up front.
And having a 7.5M$ contract up for a 3rd line who dont show up. While we are in the most important part of our core years. Yeah trash idea.

Reactions: bsl and sampollock

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Think I would do this.

vs
* Harris

The Dubois ship has long sailed for me. I would have gambled on him last summer....but after this season, I would only look to acquire him at that price point, if he has proven to be worth that price point. Dubois has proven the opposite to date, and it is not a gamble we should take at this point.

Reactions: sampollock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad