HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm not against trading for Zegras if the package is reasonable but it's also dependent on who we take at the draft.

Trading for Zegras makes sense if we are drafting any of Lindstrom, Iginla, Helenius or a D because he'd provide a much needed injection of pure skill to our top-6. Whereas if we draft any of Celebrini, Demidov, Catton, or Eiserman then Zegras becomes much less appealing.

Reactions: waitin425

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Some are happy to hear this, but many others hear the very same words and they think this means that every player Hugo target must be in the mold of Gordie Howe.
I think you're kinda lumping a lot of different people together here as if it's one incoherent set of opinions and not a set of discrete people/subgroups within the fanbase that have different positions.

Personally I don't want Zegras, I don't think he's the guy. That doesn't mean I would only accept a 21 year old McDavid playing for $15 an hour, I just want like...Martin Necas instead. People were generally open to the idea of trading for Keller last year too, there was probably a 65/35 split in favour of trading for Dubois, etc.

But then again I wanted Dubois so maybe I'm wrong and Zegras is the right target. I just don't think that being opposed to adding Zegras at a premium price means you'll only be satisfied with unrealistic perfection, he's a very polarizing player.

Reactions: 417

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think you're kinda lumping a lot of different people together here as if it's one incoherent set of opinions and not a set of discrete people/subgroups within the fanbase that have different positions.

Personally I don't want Zegras, I don't think he's the guy. That doesn't mean I would only accept a 21 year old McDavid playing for $15 an hour, I just want like...Martin Necas instead. People were generally open to the idea of trading for Keller last year too, there was probably a 65/35 split in favour of trading for Dubois, etc.

But then again I wanted Dubois so maybe I'm wrong and Zegras is the right target. I just don't think that being opposed to adding Zegras at a premium price means you'll only be satisfied with unrealistic perfection, he's a very polarizing player.
Who said premium price for Zegras?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Why would Utah trade one of the best players in the league, on a bargain contract? Keller is going nowhere.

Agreed, odds are they use their abundance of picks to be more competitive next year rather than trade their best player.

Utah has a solid young forward core in Keller, Cooley, Maccelli, Guenther and Doan, if they can find a way to improve their defense this off-season they can have a decent team next year.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Who said premium price for Zegras?
I dunno, I was responding to your post where you specifically talked about how fans expect to get talented young players for scraps and late 1sts. We're not getting Zegras for the Winnipeg 1st + Kidney and Barron and being unwilling to pay what he likely will cost does not mean that I only want perfection.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'm not against trading for Zegras if the package is reasonable but it's also dependent on who we take at the draft.

Trading for Zegras makes sense if we are drafting any of Lindstrom, Iginla, Helenius or a D because he'd provide a much needed injection of pure skill to our top-6. Whereas if we draft any of Celebrini, Demidov, Catton, or Eiserman then Zegras becomes much less appealing.
Agreed with your thoughts on trading for Zegras depending on the above grouping. I will add, if we draft the bottom grouping, we should aim for Necas.

So....this offseason if we could add....

Zegras + Lindstrom/Iggy/Helenius

or

Necas + Mack, Demi, Catton or Eiserman

We will have won the off season!

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You know people are stats watching on hockeydb when they say Zegras plays soft/small.

That dude has more dog in him then all 3 of Dach, Suzuki and Caufield. In fact only maybe Slafkovsky on our top6 would be more agressive than him. He is a pest. Marchand-lite. He hates to loose, hes a gamer like shown in junior/international play. And he absolutely raises his game when stakes are high. He is a gamer.

He missed training camp and had injuries this year. Thats it.
Nah, it's called watching the actual game.

Zegras is soft in that you can push him around.

He's like PK, PK would get in there and muck it up, but he was the toughest player in the world when the officials were in the middle. That's like Zegras, he acts tough when he thinks he's safe.

Actually that's a bit of selling PK short. PK would throw the body, Zegras doesn't really do that.

He is a very good player and depending on the cost, I think it would be a great addition, but saying he isn't soft to what most of us are saying is wrong.

The main issues is a one-dimensional, soft winger.

Reactions: Egresch

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Can't wait for Zegras to stay or get traded somewhere else and get included in the long list of guys we are happy we never acquired just like PLD.
Zegras will put up 80-90 pts. If Habs don't get him there is no way to know what he would have done with the Habs. Dubois is obviously useless unless he is hurt.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
I would try to get Colton Dach for a D with the same value.

CHI : Colton Dach
for
MTL : Adam Engstrom or William Trudeau
I mentioned this earlier in the year. It would be a risk I am willing to take as Colton does have his fair share of injury concerns like his brother

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I would try to get Colton Dach for a D with the same value.

CHI : Colton Dach
for
MTL : Adam Engstrom or William Trudeau
Engstrom has far more value. Kovacevic or Harris in the same range but I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for a glass body like him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
To be honest, there's still a part of me who would be okay with getting PLD on a retained contract. He's just so gosh darn handsome, I can't help it !

Honestly, same. I only wanted Dubois last year if Montreal was buying low and its the same situation right now.

Dubois is still who he always was, a big center who can do a lot in the offensive zone, but who doesn't have a ton of defensive value and who's production is PP driven. LA's just a worse fit than Winnipeg (who got Monahan to help fill the hole).

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad