HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
If LA crashes out against EDM again, and PLD doesn't produce, their management will be under serious pressure to unload him. I can see a scenario where habs trade Anderson and Gallagher for PLD straight up.
And after he crashed out on 3 different teams The Habs would want him why exactly?

Not for a long term deal that will likely be another anchor in a couple of years.
A 4ish year deal that isnt too high in cap hit it wouldn't be a problem. They have plenty of guys coming off the books and the cap is going up so much.

Reactions: Scintillating10

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
And after he crashed out on 3 different teams The Habs would want him why exactly?
Id rather PLD (1 player) than 2 players taking up spots. His cap hit is not that bad if he just plays to his 60pts/season. Hes the right age for our core, right size we are lacking, and can play C if Dach gets injured again.

Sure his contract runs 2 years longer, but he is not aging out (still under 30).

I'd do it.. LA can't stand him, so theyll be happy with lowiq Andy and sparkplug Gally on their 3rd line.. Danault might be happy too..

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Id rather PLD (1 player) than 2 players taking up spots. His cap hit is not that bad if he just plays to his 60pts/season. Hes the right age for our core, right size we are lacking, and can play C if Dach gets injured again.

Sure his contract runs 2 years longer, but he is not aging out (still under 30).

I'd do it.. LA can't stand him, so theyll be happy with lowiq Andy and sparkplug Gally on their 3rd line.. Danault might be happy too..
Well first of all PLDs contract is 4 years longer not 2. This is not worth the risk. He flaked on 2 teams already and now seems disinterested in the third. PLD just don't make sense. The Habs don't need lazy players.

Also LA isnt adding cap space for this kind of deal.

Reactions: Runner77

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Well first of all PLDs contract is 4 years longer not 2. This is not worth the risk. He flaked on 2 teams already and now seems disinterested in the third. PLD just don't make sense. The Habs don't need lazy players.

Also LA isnt adding cap space for this kind of deal.
4 years longer, meh id still take him vs andy/gally, at least he adds skill.

And LA would gladly take on the extra money than to be joined with PLD for 7 more years.

I think in MTL, PLD would do well (vs if we gave up what LA did last year). His contract would not be an eyesore, as it represents a legit improvement to the lineup. And he would be with family, CLB and WPG are two of the worst places to play, who knows how much this screwed him up?? Look at Laine, same thing.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

And LA would gladly take on the extra money than to be joined with PLD for 7 more years.

I think in MTL, PLD would do well (vs if we gave up what LA did last year). His contract would not be an eyesore, as it represents a legit improvement to the lineup. And he would be with family, CLB and WPG are two of the worst places to play, who knows how much this screwed him up?? Look at Laine, same thing.
what family? His father is in Manitoba isn't he?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

I strongly disagree. ''I think The Habs would end up paying 8.5 for 7 more years to a 3rd line guy.

There is also a chance that if The Habs eat salary someone takes Gally or Andy in the next year or two but 7 years of PLD...no chance.

Also a Legit improvement to the lineup? Have you see him play and his totals for the year? Nearly identical to Gally btw.

I would just play J Roy is whatever spot you had planned for PLD. Much better option for 7.5 MILLION less.....

The Habs get PLD and he is the new Drouin. Full of talent but zero on the "give a shit meter"

Getting him would be a colossal error

One last thing, According him him being long term in LA is a dream come true so.....what makes you think he would waive to come here?

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl and Canadiens98

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Like I said if it was no longer than 4 years and a reasonable cap hit then I think it makes sense. I mean even if he regresses down to 25ish goals its still worth it. He is 33 and just put up his best season so far.
At 33 can't see Marchessault getting more than 4 at most. Similar to Giroux deal. If he sign for 3 year, I would offer 7.8m per. If he wants longer I would look elsewhere or trade route.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
At 33 can't see Marchessault getting more than 4 at most. Similar to Giroux deal. If he sign for 3 year, I would offer 7.8m per. If he wants longer I would look elsewhere or trade route.
yea 3 or 4 is what I would do but 7.8 is probably more than I would be comfortable with. He makes 5 right now so a raise for sure. So maybe 4 years at 6 or 6.5

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If LA crashes out against EDM again, and PLD doesn't produce, their management will be under serious pressure to unload him. I can see a scenario where habs trade Anderson and Gallagher for PLD straight up.
I very much doubt LA accepts.

There may be GM's that still value Anderson but it would take 2 1st's to unload Gallagher.
Is a 32 year old 16 goal scorer with heart worth $3.25M for 3 years?

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Out of the box options coming, you have to give to get:

Guhle for Necas

Montreal 1st for Zegras

Winnipeg 1st plus Savard for Holtz

Armia for a 3rd round pick

Sign Matt Roy to replace Savard (4.5 years younger)
Sign Sean Monahan as UFA to mentor the forwards and allow Beck or Mesar time to develop.

One of Mailloux or Hutson makes the team.

We get younger, more offensive talent, and finish up with about $5M of cap space.

Following year, we have the $5M plus $4.4M Dvorak plus $4.2M retention plus $2M cap increase, total $15.6M to give raises to Slaf, Struble and Primeau and add one more good player.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
BPA no matter what.

This isn't the Bergy era, HuGo aren't afraid to make big deals to get forwards....

Take the bpa and use the young D you have to make a deal along with the Peg 1st. I would bet they make a big deal for a forward at or near the draft.
Exactly.

If you feel BPA is by a good margin a D at your pick, draft him and go the trade route for a forward.

If you can't do that, try to find a way to trade down with a team that covets those premium Ds. Pretty sure there will be someone that will want to trade up for a Silayev, Dickinson, Levshunov, Buium...

But don't draft a forward just because of need. Ok if you feel he is BPA.

Reactions: General Fanager

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Nice list but being able to play games is very important to me in a capped league.
Lundell Jarvis and Necas fit that bill if you look at the past three seasons.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Yes we get rid of two contracts but then we have a distraction for another 7 years. It doesn't make sense in terms of what we're trying to build here. We want hard workers who are good teammates. Dubois is neither unfortunately.

Reactions: themilosh

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Guhle for Necas

Montreal 1st for Zegras

Sign Sean Monahan as UFA to mentor the forwards and allow Beck or Mesar time to develop.

We get younger, more offensive talent, and finish up with about $5M of cap space.

Following year, we have the $5M plus $4.4M Dvorak plus $4.2M retention plus $2M cap increase, total $15.6M to give raises to Slaf, Struble and Primeau and add one more good player.
1) No
2) No
3) I do like Holtz but that's a big price and leaves us shorthanded at RD. Maybe :)
4) Yes....Times up for Army
5) Maybe but I'd like other options if possible.
6) No
7) Not sure either makes it or should make it out of camp but depending on what happens this summer, anything is possible.
8) Maybe
9) Maybe

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I can’t say I’ve seen a lot of Chatfield, but he’s at 15:12 ATOI for the year and has been a healthy scratch at times. Carolina has a very solid defence corps, but I’d be concerned as to whether he’s just a guy that looks good in limited minutes. What kind of contract are you thinking and is it worth adding to the logjam?
Chatfield is a #6 on Carolina, playing 15-17 mins/game with no PP or PK time.

He is THE definition of a replacement level player.

Fact he'd be possibly the 2nd best RD on this team tells more about the Habs RD depth than Chatfield's talent.

I think they let Pesce go this summer and keep him and then we'll see if Chatfield is a top 4 for real.

Reactions: Andrei79 and Draft

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

Guhle for Necas

Montreal 1st for Zegras

No to trading Guhle. No to trading Habs 1st this year for Zegras. The rest are maybes to me.

Reactions: Habs Icing

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Oh god this again.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No to trading Guhle. No to trading Habs 1st this year for Zegras. The rest are maybes to me.

The problem with most proposals made on HF bords is that they give up too little for what is received.

I like Guhle but I don't think he is a truly dominant defenceman and positionally, trading a good D for good F makes sense for us. Guhle's ceiling is McDonagh for me.

As for the Habs first pick, here's a mental excercise: what player could we draft with that pick that would fetch us more than Zegras in return?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I don't think management is interested in a player who crumbles under pressure. That's without all the drama that surrounds him. Let's also not forget MSL loves Tortorella and PLD completely quit from being unable to handle the heat.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Is la a bad place to play? You have tons of cash in la you live very well. He still could not get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad