HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #86: 2023-2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The Habs don't want to stay with 3 goalies for much longer, once they sign Monty, Allen is gone. Or they trade Monty because he's asking too much.

It's going to be before the deadline.
You might be right. If Allen casn actually get a good return, I think Kent will listen and mull it over.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Habs don't want to stay with 3 goalies for much longer, once they sign Monty, Allen is gone. Or they trade Monty because he's asking too much.

I doubt it. Primeau most likely to go. If he trades Allen, anything happens to Monty he has to go with rookie and AHL fodder. Hughes never tanked for Bedard, he's not going to tank never. Not in his makeup

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If Edmonton loses McDavid they're going into a long rebuild.

I'd offer the next seven years of 1st rounders.
I wonder how many picks it would take, to be fair.

Lets say it's this at the 2025 draft, the Habs+Flames pick, the 2026 1st, the Habs and Pens 2nd and all subsequent picks in 2025.

Massive haul, but also massive gamble. Im thinking they'll want players of some kind back if they were to trade him. I don't see a way it works.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

Who the hell wants Allen and his nearly 4m cap hit?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wonder how many picks it would take, to be fair.

Lets say it's this at the 2025 draft, the Habs+Flames pick, the 2026 1st, the Habs and Pens 2nd and all subsequent picks in 2025.

Massive haul, but also massive gamble. Im thinking they'll want players of some kind back if they were to trade him. I don't see a way it works.
If McDavid is a pending UFA in two years and he wants to leave, that's the offer I'd send to Edmonton for a sign-and-trade: a 1st rounder for every single year of the contract.

Half this thread including a lot of my posts is dedicated trying to play pretend matchmaker with Edmonton and Calgary, but that probably doesn't work and can't work due to the decrepit state of those institutions.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It's not a huge cap hit but teams that need a goalie for the most part don't have cap space.
So how do Habs get rid of a goaltender without retaining salary? Trade Monty or take back similar cap to trade Allen. And with Allen the return might not be much. If they believe Monty can be a top 10-15 goalie in the league then move Allen if they can.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I doubt he's trading Allen, just gave him a big contract. Monahan and Savard my bets to be moved. Pearson too, he's taking a roster spot away from a young forward. Who can use the ice time. We can judge him better

It wasn't that big of a contract. He has another year.

Yeah, Pearson is gone at TDL for sure. He can still play as a defensive 3rd liner. Some team out there will value that.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Wouldn’t that simply recreate the Oilers current problem here ?

I’m all for giving him whatever salary he wants as an UFA ($12-15M ? done ! ) but if we need to trade Guhle, Dach & Caufield, yes we get the better player but would we really be a significantly better team after ?

Just feels lately that depth is almost as important during the playoffs run, all it takes is a cheap shot on your star and you’re out.

We had a great cup run but the 3 teams we beat were missing one of their top6 C.

Kind of, but the Oilers problem is less not having enough good depth and more consistently overpaying for bad depth.

I know you're referencing the cup run, but its pretty irrefutable proof that you need elite/star talent to win. I'm not saying Montreal should trade literally everyone, but finding talent on the edges is easier than getting a generational talent.

Its all moot, since its pretty unlikely that Edmonton will trade McDavid or that Montreal would have the best offer for him.

Reactions: jrom

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Genius GM Kent Genius Hughes the Genius GM gave Allen a raise AND another year

I’d bet nobody wants Allen or his contract.

I agree with you ReHabs its not a good contract at first look. But there is only one year left on his deal.

It dont hurt us because the term is low and easily absorbale.

MSL was on record saying that Allen won't be here to profit from the shadow of the three he planted.

In other words, they got him on the backside of his career and explicitly stated he won't be here when we will be ready to truly compete.

Thats f***ing tough and Allen has swallowed the pill and has bringed in a positive attitude in all of this.

I think that is the reason why they "massively" paid him. I think its simply good business as Allen is a valuable pieces in the rebuild, he sucks and he is a good vet.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Kent Johnson has been sent to the AHL a couple of days ago.

He had 40 points in the NHL in his D+2.

What could we give for him? He is a crafty player with a nice shot and very nice mitts, a bit soft tho.

I would totally get him as a LW/C for a Dach type of trade.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Would anyone trade future considerations for Huberdeau and a Calgary first like we did with Monahan?
I think the only way we take that contract is if we are getting a top-5 pick out of it and dump one of our own crappy contracts. And that just doesn't seem like something Calgary should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad