Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
A hell of a lot more than 4, which is what he has this year in 31 games. He has 15 goals in 101 games. And you want him and Hagg for the rights to Kaprizov and Dumba?

I would aim higher actually but Konecny is on his way to being a very good player - fun to watch but I think his coach isn't a big fan. Anyhow, I wouldn't have traded for Marcus Foligno or Chuck Kobasew for that matter. You can guess who's in charge of these decisions isn't me. I'm saying that Dumba has the kind of trade value where you can get a first-round forward in exchange, a la Jones-Johansen, Larsson-Hall. I don't have much faith that Kaprizov wants to be part of this org, thus I'd look to trade his rights if that's true.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
How many goals does a 20 year old have to score in the NHL before you can call him a goal-scorer?

Speculative trade to be sure but the kind of thing I could see Fletch doing especially if the sense is that Kaprizov or another unsigned player (Belpedio, Greenway, Kahkonen) is not interested in joining the Wild. Dumba and Zucker are both question marks for next season remember.
Can't see Fletch trading Greenway yet ( he's a Jr and wild have his rights until Aug 15th 2019 ). He can go back to BU for his Sr year, sign at the end of his Sr year but Wild will have to burn a year of his contract or he will most likely go to UFA
Don't know when Kahko rights expire
Belpedio rights expire Aug 15th 2018. I think his rights will be traded. Can't see him signing to go to play in Iowa when he becomes UFA a few months later

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Can't see Fletch trading Greenway yet ( he's a Jr and wild have his rights until Aug 15th 2019 ). He can go back to BU for his Sr year, sign at the end of his Sr year but Wild will have to burn a year of his contract or he will most likely go to UFA
Don't know when Kahko rights expire
Belpedio rights expire Aug 15th 2018. I think his rights will be traded. Can't see him signing to go to play in Iowa when he becomes UFA a few months later

I have zero reason to think Belpedio wouldn't sign with the Wild. He's a very honorable young man, he and Suter have that Culver Academy pedigree in common, and if he signs he has a chance of cracking the NHL roster. Seems like a good relationship there, and Greenway has also stated he plans to sign with the Wild. Kaprizov seems like the disgruntled one, but we don't really know - other than that he holds the cards. It will up to Fletch to work with Dan Milstein and Kaprizov to the extent possible. If it's not, there's no reason to panic this spring. They do have to sign Kahkonen this summer or relinquish.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't trust the cap going up until the ink is dry. It was supposed to go up a couple of years ago and stayed flat. There is also the players escalator clause that needs to be agreed to.

Bettman has said the minimum increase will be to $78 million. The escalator might bring it up above that, but as far I as I know, $3 million is the minimum.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
With the timing of everything I don't see a lot of point of trading either Reilly or Olofsson right now, either. You're probably not going to get a compelling return for either, and both could still develop into valuable players. It seems like the only downside here is that keeping both likely means Reilly in the minors for the rest of the year, which doesn't seem super fair to him.

The insane thing to do would be to trade Spurgeon in the offseason for God-knows-what. He'd bring in a haul, but I can't see us not regretting that, regardless of how the defense has (briefly) looked without him.
I'm not saying that we should trade Spurgeon, but if he brings in someone just as good, say a first line forward with no issues, then we've got to consider it, at least.

That would be a trade we would consider at the TDL if it looks like we're a longshot to go far in the PO's.

Spurgeon for Mittelstadt? I think Mittelstadt is going to be a star, but admit that would be a chancey trade. Guys like Spurgeon are tough to find.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not saying that we should trade Spurgeon, but if he brings in someone just as good, say a first line forward with no issues, then we've got to consider it, at least.

That would be a trade we would consider at the TDL if it looks like we're a longshot to go far in the PO's.

Spurgeon for Mittelstadt? I think Mittelstadt is going to be a star, but admit that would be a chancey trade. Guys like Spurgeon are tough to find.
Yeah, I can't advocate actually trading Spurgeon unless it's an "offer you can't refuse" situation. If he can bring back a player that stands a good chance to play at 1C for a decade or more I'd consider it; I'm not sure if Mittelstadt is that or not. That's probably more of a draft-day trade than a TDL trade though.

Even in the "offer you can't refuse" scenario I get the feeling there's a good chance we'd regret trading him. We've done alright without him for a short stint, but over the course of a season or seasons his absence would be felt.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trading Spurgeon would be very tough. He is representative of what is good about the Wild.

Oh well, off to see my team get destroyed by the Gunners!

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Do the Wild offload a couple contracts and possibly trade for a goalie?

Mrazek is likely available.. just read an article regarding how he would fit with Dubnyk in MN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Stalock has been fine. Don't see trading for a goalie, unless he is prepared to play in Iowa.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do the Wild offload a couple contracts and possibly trade for a goalie?

Mrazek is likely available.. just read an article regarding how he would fit with Dubnyk in MN

Det is in cap hell too. It's a hard trade to make without giving up a lot for a $4m rental backup goalie. Especially one that hasn't played well the last couple of seasons.

I wouldn't mind a goalie trade, but I'd be looking to MTL for Lindgren.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This is an odd team. I just don't see any middle of the road trades, they either have to be very small, huge.

I'd really like to see GMCF lose a couple of AHL/ECHL contracts and get down to at least 48 contracts.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
How much leverage does Kaprizov have?

From my understanding, none. If he wants NHL, it's here as long as the Wild hold his rights.

Right or wrong?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
How much leverage does Kaprizov have?

From my understanding, none. If he wants NHL, it's here as long as the Wild hold his rights.

Right or wrong?

Right in that he doesn't have team choice or anything like that. He can only get rookie max on a contract. His leverage is having the desire or not to play in the NHL versus another league. Unfortunately from our perspective he is under contract and can play in Russia another few years, putting him closer to UFA status. That's not until he is 27 I believe, so a long way down the road. The scenario the Wild need is for him to voluntarily buy out his KHL contract and sign an entry-level deal here. That could happen this summer presumably but it in no way must.

Reactions: Monkeypox

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I have no idea what Foligno's value could be. Our guy valued him a lot, so I'd have to guess there would be 1 or 2 others out there that might, but who knows.
I'd bet Buffalo would take Foligno back.
He was a huge part of team and especially in the locker room

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd bet Buffalo would take Foligno back.
He was a huge part of team and especially in the locker room
Really?

Though i could see how he was a huge part of the suck they have going on there In BUF. I would guess that Foligno and Reilly/Olofsson would get Girgensons(who apparently is not doing so good this year) and maybe a draft pick, or something like that. Don't see that as being great for the team....maybe addition by subtraction in Foligno's case.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Really?

Though i could see how he was a huge part of the suck they have going on there In BUF. I would guess that Foligno and Reilly/Olofsson would get Girgensons(who apparently is not doing so good this year) and maybe a draft pick, or something like that. Don't see that as being great for the team....maybe addition by subtraction is Foligno's case.
Zero interest in any more players from the Sabres. I would be more than happy with Foligno for a 3rd or 4th and just pretend him playing in Minnesota never happened.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I wonder what it would cost to get Duclair out of AZ.

He might end up not doing anything for Minny, but a change of scenery might do the kid good.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Girgensons would be interesting as a 3rd liner.

Seems to me that if the Wild could have had Girgensons at 1.6 for two seasons and got Marcus Foligno for that crazy deal instead that 1) Buffalo wasn't interested in dealing the young Latvian and/or 2) the Wild wasn't interested in acquiring him. Maybe things have changed but I don't see Buffalo as a good partner for Fletch, like Sid wasn't good for Nancy.

I like the idea of Duclair better. Speedy, a skilled shooter, and better than you think defensively but so much depends on how things go with Zucker. Think he wants to be here but Fletch has to stop overpaying for guys he likes and pay on merit. Thus the Dumba question as well. Not sure how he can reasonably ask to be paid more than Spurgeon but you don't want to run into the Subban bridge deal problem either.

I think guys like Reilly and Olofsson have quite a bit of (relative) value actually. If they're out the door, it has to be for another good young asset under team control.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Seems to me that if the Wild could have had Girgensons at 1.6 for two seasons and got Marcus Foligno for that crazy deal instead that 1) Buffalo wasn't interested in dealing the young Latvian and/or 2) the Wild wasn't interested in acquiring him. Maybe things have changed but I don't see Buffalo as a good partner for Fletch, like Sid wasn't good for Nancy.

I like the idea of Duclair better. Speedy, a skilled shooter, and better than you think defensively but so much depends on how things go with Zucker. Think he wants to be here but Fletch has to stop overpaying for guys he likes and pay on merit. Thus the Dumba question as well. Not sure how he can reasonably ask to be paid more than Spurgeon but you don't want to run into the Subban bridge deal problem either.

I think guys like Reilly and Olofsson have quite a bit of (relative) value actually. If they're out the door, it has to be for another good young asset under team control.
I could see Reilly or Olofsson going for someone like Duclair, if not Duclair specifically.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Which one(s) of Granlund, Nino, Brodin, Spurgeon, Scandella or Coyle got paid on something other than merit?

Foligno is the only recent example I can think of.

Reactions: 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad