Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I thought I read Ennis would be a cheap 1/3 (instead of 2/3) buyout because of his age. If that's the case, don't see why he wouldn't just stick around and be bought out next summer.
I don't think so, unless the buyout rules have changed since this article was written?

What about cost?
The cost is either 1/3 or 2/3 of the remaining salary, averaged out over twice as many years that were left on the contract. This is determined by the age of the player at the time of the buyout - if they are under 26, they get 1/3, if they are 26 or older they get 2/3.
It is worth mentioning that any salary slide on the remaining years goes out the window. If a 26+ player has a year at $4.2m and a year at $3.6m left, they don't get $1.4m, $1.4m, $1.2m, $1.2m - they get $1.3m in each of the 4 years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ennis is being paid ONLY 3.65M both this year and next, though his cap hit is 4.6M.

Yeah for Leipold. Boo for actual hockey.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I thought I read Ennis would be a cheap 1/3 (instead of 2/3) buyout because of his age. If that's the case, don't see why he wouldn't just stick around and be bought out next summer.
He has some value I would rather trade him than buyout

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Only two forwards have looked good. Also playing on a new team, for a new coach, with a new system normally takes some time. And the constant line shuffling makes that harder to create chemistry. The new guys have more of an excuse than the players who have been here for years and can't pull it together.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Only two forwards have looked good. Also playing on a new team, for a new coach, with a new system normally takes some time. And the constant line shuffling makes that harder to create chemistry. The new guys have more of an excuse than the players who have been here for years and can't pull it together.
The guys that have been here for years look terrible because they're being forced to play with the new guys.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
How about Ennis to Pittsburgh for Cole? Not sure Pittsburgh would do this though
What about Foligno for Cole? Let Cole walk at the end of the year and Buyout Ennis, and just pretend last summer never happened.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Penguins fans seemed down for it and I can't say that I'd mind it. It seems unrealistic though.
It would require Fletcher to admit to what everybody else already knows. Last summers trade was brutal.
FTR- I think I would offer the same trade for Prosser just to get rid of Foligno.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So it sounds like Buffalo is open for business. Any interest in some buy-low depth options? Maybe a 4th + Stewart for Girgensons? Make it juicier if they'll take Ennis instead :naughty:

Really though, Botterill is going to have to go off like the 4th of July at some point between now and next season. It'll be entertaining to watch, if nothing else.

Edit: Crap, I meant to post this in the Trade thread and ended up here somehow.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scandella and Pominville for Ennis and Foligno? :sarcasm:

We'll throw in a 4th, too.

Funny thing is that Scandella has been their best Dman, and Poms has been good, too. No one in BUF is complaining about them.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Funny thing is that Scandella has been their best Dman, and Poms has been good, too. No one in BUF is complaining about them.
Well look at Scandella's competition for playing time. He was playing with Justin Falk (yes, the BAD one) on the first pairing for a little while. Pominville only had 5 goals in the first 41 games of the season last year (the entire first half).

It's not to say we couldn't use both of them, but some people are exaggerating their impact last year (not saying you personally).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

In the games I've seen, both players have looked about like they did on Minnesota. The biggest difference is that there's almost no supporting cast. Scandella hasn't just been their best defender, he's been their only top4 defender for most of the year. Pominville stands out a little more than he did here mostly because the entire team seems to have had their wills broken. Only the guys that weren't in Buffalo last year seem to have any fire to them. Scandella and Pominville stand out mostly because they're functional NHL players on a team full of problems.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Not sure we're in the position to be buyers yet... Although, I'm on board for any plan that gets Ennis off the team.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not sure we're in the position to be buyers yet... Although, I'm on board for any plan that gets Ennis off the team.
Yeah, we're definitely not buyers, but I'd be open to any opportunistic moves we can make. Especially something like moving later picks to upgrade the bottom 6 somewhat. I'm not sure that Girgensons is really that, but he seems like he might bounce back in the right situation. Plus he's relatively young and cheap.

Realistically though we shouldn't be making any moves. I'm plenty happy just getting rid of Quincey.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Scandella and Pominville for Ennis and Foligno? :sarcasm:
I would do it for just one of Pommer or Scandella. Although, after last summer I would hope that Fletcher isn't allowed to talk to Buffalo anymore.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've watched about a few BUF games this year, and Scandella has looked quite good. Poised, considering the conditions he is playing under. His breakout passes are on the tape, and his puck retrieval and movement before the first pass has also been good. Defending has been decent, though sometimes they just get overwhelmed back there. Only place where I don't see him assert himself if offensively. He looks a little bit like Brodin, but to be fair to Scandella, they desperately need a guy who can play solid D, not some knucklehead who thinks he is Bobby Orr.

Poms doesn't stand out at all , but he gets his points.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
You see what you wanna see. Like Scandella, but he has been on a downswing since 14-15. At 4 million per, that matters.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So it sounds like Buffalo is open for business. Any interest in some buy-low depth options? Maybe a 4th + Stewart for Girgensons? Make it juicier if they'll take Ennis instead :naughty:

It would take more than that for Grigs (really only the 4th round pick). Stewie has no value for Buffalo as a rental. Ennis would cost us to get rid of them. Buffalo doesnt really need Ennis, Moulson, and Pommer eating up ~$15m of their cap next year.

Girgensons was who I wanted instead of Foligno. It's a trade with Buffalo, so Wild's 2nd rounder?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
You see what you wanna see. Like Scandella, but he has been on a downswing since 14-15. At 4 million per, that matters.
I wanna see Ennis contribute like a middle six NHL'er with an offensive game. Why am I not seeing it?

Reactions: 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad