Speculation: Trade, FA Rumours (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This board loves its bottom 6 forwards when they are in their early 20s when hope springs without limits and then turns on them in their late 20s when they are still bottom 6 players even when they are actually more effective players and then treats them like the spawn of the devil if they are able to hold onto a career into their 30s.

Thats not really true. Most on the board like bottom 6 players that are effective. Age is irrelevant to most. The issue is that we keep bringing in ineffective older players and using them over more promising youth. If Chevy actually went out and acquired competent vets for those role very few would be complaining.

Few have had an issue with old man Perrault performing at an elite level in our bottom 6 over the years. No one has issues with Copp and Lowry who are in their mid to late 20's.

The 2015 line was young but they performed extremely well. Why wouldn't people want to see more of it. That combo with the Lowry/Copp combo potentially gives this team avery balanced bottom 6 that can be deployed in multiple ways.

What will happen is Moe will leave Harkins in the PB and dress Thompson (yet another over the hill glue guy) and ice another 4th line that can't be counted on to play more then 6 minutes.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
This board loves its bottom 6 forwards when they are in their early 20s when hope springs without limits and then turns on them in their late 20s when they are still bottom 6 players even when they are actually more effective players and then treats them like the spawn of the devil if they are able to hold onto a career into their 30s.
You know Stempniak was 32 when he played for us right? Saying "this board thinks players above 30 are useless" kind of goes entirely against the post you were quoting, as it was about our love for Stempniak. We don't dislike players playing into their thirties, we dislike players who don't yield positive results and who have never yielded positive results as they play in front of players or could potentially yield positive results.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd imagine it's difficult to play like this on a shutdown line with Copp and Lowry, which is where he played most of the season and still managed to out produce the rest of the bottom six by a wide margin. This Harkins-Roslo-Appleton looked great for the entirety of their stint together but that didn't stop Maurice from stapling Roslo back with Lowry and Copp at first opportunity.

I feel you bud, one more month :laugh:

It's such a small sample size to get caught up on though, and the 3 best games came against non playoff teams, with Chicago being a token 12 seed. They were a - in Philly. And Harkins playing with Scheifele and Wheeler got a goal against Buffalo, after the Eakin trade which gave the team a boost at centre, at least temporarily.

I think there are some positives to take from the play though of that line, but it doesn't have to be set in stone. Harkins-Lowry-Roslovic were pretty good against Calgary.

Putting Roslovic at centre gives another RH option though, with Little out for the year, and frankly would be a pretty significant talent upgrade on Shore, on the way to running a 4 line team. I'd be more prone to run Harkins-Lowry-Copp, and Perreault-Roslovic-Apples than running the 2015 line. But you can configure those players as you want, Harkins and Roslovic could be interchangeable, if the Jets want to see how he fares at center, or Harkins and Perreault too.

If we run 2 even PPs this year, ice time could balance out a bit between top and bottom, for players like Roslovic and Copp. The critical point in Roslovic's ice time is Maurice's reluctance to use him on the PK, where Vincent did.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Some turn on our 22 year old goal scoring wingers too. :naughty:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You know Stempniak was 32 when he played for us right? Saying "this board thinks players above 30 are useless" kind of goes entirely against the post you were quoting, as it was about our love for Stempniak. We don't dislike players playing into their thirties, we dislike players who don't yield positive results and who have never yielded positive results as they play in front of players or could potentially yield positive results.
Sorry I should have used the sarcasm emoji when responding to a post with Stempniak in it. The legend of Lee Stempniak lives to this day.

In terms of our own prospects this board tends to put anyone new on a pedestal and projects the optimal ceiling as likely. When the player fails to meet these lofty expectations the blame gets thrown around and they fall out of favour with each passing year even if they have actually developed into better and more consistent players.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't give a flying fiddler's fart who's on our bottom 6 just as long as they are doing their job and aren't getting too much money that we can't keep our best players .

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Some turn on our 22 year old goal scoring wingers too. :naughty:
It is not just the Jets board. Draft picks and prospects are loved and revered across HFBoards for their "unlimited" potential. Once they become NHL players the vast majority eventually start falling out of favour as it is unrealistic for other then a small handful to reach which is initially expected from them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It is not just the Jets board. Draft picks and prospects are loved and revered across HFBoards for their "unlimited" potential. Once they become NHL players the vast majority eventually start falling out of favour as it is unrealistic for other then a small handful to reach which is initially expected from them.

Yup inevitably HFBoards eat their young and old alike once they leave the nest. So odd that boards universally love prospect potential and universally hate their coach.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The most value prospects have on this board (HF in general)is when they haven't played an NHL game. It's like buying a new car, he depreciates as soon as he steps on the ice.

Reactions: Jets 31

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Chevy actually went out and acquired competent vets for those role very few would be complaining.

Few have had an issue with old man Perrault performing at an elite level in our bottom 6 over the years. No one has issues with Copp and Lowry who are in their mid to late 20's.

The 2015 line was young but they performed extremely well. Why wouldn't people want to see more of it. That combo with the Lowry/Copp combo potentially gives this team avery balanced bottom 6 that can be deployed in multiple ways.

What will happen is Moe will leave Harkins in the PB and dress Thompson (yet another over the hill glue guy) and ice another 4th line that can't be counted on to play more then 6 minutes.
Exactly. Few players he has brought in for the bottom 6 were any good.
Briing in someone like Weise for the league minimum. Copper Lowry Weise would be a pretty hard 4th line to play against. Dare I say, Katy Perry and his 145 playoff game experience for 1m - 1.25m. Maroon would hvae been a nice pickup for the 4th. If you're gonna spend the money, buy the right product.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Corey Perry was on a bonus laden 35 year plus contract. Last year he made 1.5 mill plus 1.6 million bonus for a total of 3.1 million!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Corey Perry was on a bonus laden 35 year plus contract. Last year he made 1.5 mill plus 1.6 million bonus for a total of 3.1 million!
Hate the guy but worth every penny for the playoffs alone. He shows the other players what it takes.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Flyers are interesting as I'm having a hard time understanding their need. They already have Konecny and Voracek on the right side. They could put an acceptable package together though IMO.

Yea I don't see the need from Philly's perspective but who knows what's in Fletcher's mind?

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around moving Laine, but if that's the decision there's certainly been enough teams rumoured to be interested that I'd hope we'd be able to make a very strong trade, getting exactly what we want and that the asking price remains very high:

Flyers:
- Provorov
- Konecny & Sanheim/Myers

Boston:
- Carlo, DeBrusk & Studnicka

NJ:
- Hischier/Hughes
- Severson, Kuokkanen & unprotected 1st

Carolina:
- Hamilton if willing to extend
- Pesce + Necas/Jarvis

Ottawa:
- Stutzle (still not signed to an ELC)
- Brady Tkachuk & one of Bernard-Docker, Lassi Thomson, Erik Branstrom
- Colin White & Sanderson

Etc.

We need a young top 4 D, ideally with top pair potential that can play on the right side and/or a center with top line potential that can be a sure fire 2nd liner in case Perfetti stays on the wing. If we aren't getting a return like that, we really should just keep Laine.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No it does not. Just confirms that they are and where interested.
I am 50 percent that he gets moved before this season but more likely next year

50% is a big number Joe considering we are counting down to the season and traditionally this is not the time of much trading? What makes you think there is still that level of interest, has the uncertainty of a season kind of changed the normal pattern of deal making? Selfishly (with Stats here now) I would like to see Laine given one last crack before both sides part ways unless the package is much better than I am anticipating.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
50% is a big number Joe considering we are counting down to the season and traditionally this is not the time of much trading? What makes you think there is still that level of interest, has the uncertainty of a season kind of changed the normal pattern of deal making? Selfishly (with Stats here now) I would like to see Laine given one last crack before both sides part ways unless the package is much better than I am anticipating.

The people I know say there is a lot of interest in him and the Jets are listening. I just think unless they don't trade him and he comes in and blows the doors off this season they move from him. I just don't think they believe he is worth 9+

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Will anyone give him that in a flat cap market?
With the flat cap environment, a 3- or 4-yr extension might be appealing to Laine. Take him to 26-27 years old and cash in then.

That might be the obvious solution. Then 2024 offseason becomes our Toews-Kane decision summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad