Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I still really believe in this roster and think we'll have a very strong second half.

I think we easily make the playoffs and then who knows?

I am hoping the team responds to the coaching change and this is the downstream effect.

Reactions: Jet

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh I get it. I bet scheifele felt he was underpaid his last deal and will not want that to happen again. I think TNSE will take care of him handsomely though either by high dollars or term on his next deal.

Mark is on a great contract now and he turns 29 already in March, where has the time gone. The good news is we have him this season and 2 more so Mark will turn 32 during the first year of his new contract. That is not far off the Wheeler deal age wise. It’s also about the same age Little was when he signed his last contract with us. So TNSE does have a habit of signing our stars that are in the 31-33 year old range to 5 or 6 year old deals.

That being said I am terrified TNSE tries to “take care of him” on the next deal or make up anything. I would much rather sit back and see how this season and next play out for Mark.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Mark is on a great contract now and he turns 29 already in March, where has the time gone. The good news is we have him this season and 2 more so Mark will turn 32 during the first year of his new contract. That is not far off the Wheeler deal age wise. It’s also about the same age Little was when he signed his last contract with us. So TNSE does have a habit of signing our stars that are in the 31-33 year old range to 5 or 6 year old deals.

That being said I am terrified TNSE tries to “take care of him” on the next deal or make up anything. I would much rather sit back and see how this season and next play out for Mark.

This is a business, this whole notion of needing to top up on the next deal is silly. Do any of the best teams do this?

Reactions: WolfHouse

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Scheifele and Wheeler don't play 26 minutes a night they might have more energy for defending in their own zone. This was Maurice's biggest mistake as far as i'm concerned, hockey is a team sport not a 2 player sport, just ask Edmonton. If Lowry keeps Scheifele and Wheeler's minutes down to normal i think both players with be better which will make the Jets better.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is a business, this whole notion of needing to top up on the next deal is silly. Do any of the best teams do this?

one of the major flaws in the current NHL is overpaying 30 year olds for what they accomplished in their 20’s. That has slowly started to correct but not fast enough for my liking.

Wheeler got overpaid/rewarded because he peaked late, he was a key cog on a then CONTENDING team that just went to the final four, and we had one more year in that window. Life was great in Jetsville that summer.

If Mark can check those same three boxes leading up to his next contract then he should get paid market value. If not then perhaps the Andrew Ladd path is the best way forward for the org. Let another team throw the big contract at Mark and free up the cap space.

To be clear I have an open mind but we are at a crossroads and it’s show me time. If Mark leads us back to the promised land great. If we are not a legit contender that makes noise this season and next then it may be time for a shake up of the leadership of this player group.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
one of the major flaws in the current NHL is overpaying 30 year olds for what they accomplished in their 20’s. That has slowly started to correct but not fast enough for my liking.

Wheeler got overpaid/rewarded because he peaked late, he was a key cog on a then CONTENDING team that just went to the final four, and we had one more year in that window. Life was great in Jetsville that summer.

If Mark can check those same three boxes leading up to his next contract then he should get paid market value. If not then perhaps the Andrew Ladd path is the best way forward for the org. Let another team throw the big contract at Mark and free up the cap space.

To be clear I have an open mind but we are at a crossroads and it’s show me time. If Mark leads us back to the promised land great. If we are not a legit contender that makes noise this season and next then it may be time for a shake up of the leadership of this player group.

My thoughts exactly.

I look at Tampa; they seem to force their best young players to take three year bridge deals to help their cap situation (Kucherov, Point, Segachev etc) but they don't then turn around and overpay them based on getting mvp seasons for dirt cheap. They still get market value or better deals for Kuch, Point etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would argue you don't overpay 35+ they are a lot of 30 year olds that produce at a high level and with the way players keep themselves in shape its not hard to see why

Reactions: ps241

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

That’s just the nature of the UFA system in the NHL. If you don’t want to have any players 33-35 making big dollars, then you have to accept that you won’t have any players 28-30 because that’s when those deals are signed and if you don’t want to risk the end of those deals then you won’t benefit from the prime years at the beginning.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

im not an advocate of trading him on his current deal. 6m for a guy who is usually a ppg player is a great deal, & on the low-end (this year) he's roughly a 60pts player, still a fair deal. it's the next contract. depending if perfetti is actually a C, and PLD signs a long-term deal, i wouldn't back-up the brinks trucks for scheifele. if he's willing for 2-3 year deals - similar to what Joe Thornton did in SJS - then i'd entertain that. But i think he will end up signing a deal similar to wheeler or little, and both players trended down pretty early when those deals kicked in.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That’s just the nature of the UFA system in the NHL. If you don’t want to have any players 33-35 making big dollars, then you have to accept that you won’t have any players 28-30 because that’s when those deals are signed and if you don’t want to risk the end of those deals then you won’t benefit from the prime years at the beginning.
But there is a difference between signing mark when he is 28 to a 5 year deal that ends at 33 then signing him when he hits 30. Also, when is player's primes as they are reaching them earlier, there is also the issue of player loyalty. People on here were arguing that Connor signed his team friendly deal, because he saw how the team was taking care of Wheeler. If we suddenly say, if we aren't contenders and you hit 29 we are going to try and trade you and keep the team young, because, quite frankly, we can't afford an older team that also has implications.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
little, wheeler, morrissey signed a year early to their contract expiry. Buff signed 6 months early.

could be the same for scheifele.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I’m not saying never I am saying there is a season for everything. It’s not binary and it’s case by case but I would say “no” more than yes. Buff turned out to be a very good signing. Wheeler not so much due to the flat cap. It turned out to be smart to walk away from Ladd. Little was cut short.

As I said I would wait and see on Mark. Nothing wrong with value trades like win now with Pacioretty for Suzuki tomorrow. Back in the day win now 29 year old Nieuwendyk to Dallas for top blue chip prospect Iginla to Calgary.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I’m not saying never I am saying there is a season for everything. It’s not binary and it’s case by case but I would say “no” more than yes. Buff turned out to be a very good signing. Wheeler not so much due to the flat cap. It turned out to be smart to walk away from Ladd. Little was cut short.

As I said I would wait and see on Mark. Nothing wrong with value trades like win now with Pacioretty for Suzuki tomorrow. Back in the day win now 29 year old Nieuwendyk to Dallas for top blue chip prospect Iginla to Calgary.
We forget how lucky the Jets are that the Little contract is LTIR - Copp would be gone and likely no $$ for Schmidt

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I only said "consider moving" Scheifele. And then only after some other things fall into place and only for a very good return - which he would bring. But we need a top 6 RW.

Yes, job 1 is extending Dubois. Monday is soon enough. :laugh: 8x8 - hope it doesn't cost more.
I'm not too worried about our pool of upcoming young forwards at this point, but a couple of extra high picks collected at the TD would bolster that.

I think Copp will be exactly the kind of PO boost a lot of teams are looking for. We should have some bargaining power there. Stastny will also have significant value. I would still try to bring Stats back next year, with another reduction in pay.
I think we will need Perfetti in the top six next year... Dubois is going to cost 8-9m I think so that probably excludes signing Stas at anything other than league minimum

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we will need Perfetti in the top six next year... Dubois is going to cost 8-9m I think so that probably excludes signing Stas at anything other than league minimum

I haven't done the sums, but I am hoping we can afford Stats at about 2 mil and that he will sign for that. I doubt he will sign for <1 mil.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Pretty much

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

If Copp is gone, there is plenty of room to bring back Stastny

If Copp is somehow still here and someone else goes, he can play top six just fine

We can throw Perfetti into top six when he is ready, not because we have to imo

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think the opportunity cost of having 3 awesome centers is high, though, considering you'd have to play one on your third line. One of those could be converted into a top line winger or D that plays way more minutes.

That said I'm really interested to see how Scheif does with new coaching staff for sure, before I'd entertain trading him.

Like some said maybe he could be converted into a winger himself... though I'm not so sure he'd be willing to get paid like one...
having great c depth is paramount in the POs. being able to roll 3 lines that can score is basically the make-up nearly every cup champ. unfortunately our 3rd line is a black hole of offense, and a 4th line doesn't see much ice on some nights. until we can get to the likes of what TBL/STL/WSH/PIT had as their 3rd lines i don't think we will make it far in the POs.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
My thoughts exactly.

I look at Tampa; they seem to force their best young players to take three year bridge deals to help their cap situation (Kucherov, Point, Segachev etc) but they don't then turn around and overpay them based on getting mvp seasons for dirt cheap. They still get market value or better deals for Kuch, Point etc.
The lack of taxes in Florida plays a huge role in that strategy

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The lack of taxes in Florida plays a huge role in that strategy

No doubt. I feel like Tampa is such a great location and organization they get their guys a good 10% cheaper than market value.

The way they handle their negotiations with a common interest is definitely something to emulate. And I do think we have thrown guys a bone here and there when we can. And signed some great great deals.

Hopefully something similar will happen with Scheifele's next deal.

I think a 5 year deal that carries Scheif through his 31-35 year old seasons and has him paid in the $9 million range is perfectly reasonable

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My thoughts exactly.

No state income tax and living in Tampa on a stacked team, might just play into it a tiny bit.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Thing with tbl is that their drafting, UDFA, and trading is quite superior to ours.

This team can lose JT Miller (ppg centre), arguably the best third line in hockey (they're #1 line basically in the PO's) , lose kucherov and point for large spurts of the year and ho hum along.

Their drafting/developing has been better. Their trading is better (sergachev, jt Miller, Mcdonagh, cernak, coleman.... Only Mcdonagh had limited trade protection btw), their UDFA is better (Tyler Johnson, Yanni gourde, and they had had carter V and marchessault previously). The Jets and 99% of the nhl is not there.

They lose players due to the salary cap and just buzz along.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thing with tbl is that their drafting, UDFA, and trading is quite superior to ours.

This team can lose JT Miller (ppg centre), arguably the best third line in hockey (they're #1 line basically in the PO's) , lose kucherov and point for large spurts of the year and ho hum along.

Their drafting/developing has been better. Their trading is better (sergachev, jt Miller, Mcdonagh, cernak, coleman.... Only Mcdonagh has limited trade protection btw), their UDFA is better (Tyler Johnson, Yanni gourde, and they had had carter V and marchessault previously). The Jets and 99% of the nhl is not there.

They lose players due to the salary cap and just buzz along.

They are the best run org in the league imo and the org I want to emulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad