OT: OT - The Directions to the Coachella Valley and the Carrot Festival there in

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Up visiting my dad for the weekend. Cancer really sucks. He retired last year at 71. Spent 6 months barely being able to walk more than 100 ft at a time not knowing why. Then in the hospital for major heart surgery. 3 months recovery. Then treatment for a cancer he knows they can’t cure. He is currently in the hospital and he can’t eat anything and barely has the strength to sit up.
sorry to hear that Matt. you and your family are in my thoughts.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Up visiting my dad for the weekend. Cancer really sucks. He retired last year at 71. Spent 6 months barely being able to walk more than 100 ft at a time not knowing why. Then in the hospital for major heart surgery. 3 months recovery. Then treatment for a cancer he knows they can’t cure. He is currently in the hospital and he can’t eat anything and barely has the strength to sit up.

Pulling for your dad.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
So I’m generally a quiet person, and kind of deal with things on my own. I’ve had not that good of a life, and seen some shit that nobody should see. I grew up in an abusive household and where I wasn’t taken care of. Eventually I moved into the foster care system. Permanently.

Now with that being said, the foster family I went to for the second home treated me like family. It didn’t matter that I was some Native kid. And eventually they became my family. And then the new year rolls around, and my uncle from that part of my life got some devastating news. He was diagnosed with cancer in his liver, bones, and kidneys, and I got flashbacks to when my son was diagnosed with kidney cancer. Unfortunately my uncle is not expected to live other than a miracle. He’s already had a liver transplant this year, is scheduled for a kidney replacement on Tuesday, and then restarts his chemo a couple of weeks after that. It sucks because this guy was someone who would chop through logs without a problem, and also used to lead a church as their pastor and spiritual guide, and now he can barely sit up.

He’s in his mid-60s, so health problems are kind of expected to creep up. But this guy now appears twice that age. f*** cancer.

And as an update to what seems like a throwaway comment, my son who was given a 5% chance of seeing his next birthday when diagnosed is now a happy healthy 16 year old who loves the Red Wings and plays soccer as a defender for his high school.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
IMG_1120.jpeg

Reactions: sabremike

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
So I’m generally a quiet person, and kind of deal with things on my own. I’ve had not that good of a life, and seen some shit that nobody should see. I grew up in an abusive household and where I wasn’t taken care of. Eventually I moved into the foster care system. Permanently.

Now with that being said, the foster family I went to for the second home treated me like family. It didn’t matter that I was some Native kid. And eventually they became my family. And then the new year rolls around, and my uncle from that part of my life got some devastating news. He was diagnosed with cancer in his liver, bones, and kidneys, and I got flashbacks to when my son was diagnosed with kidney cancer. Unfortunately my uncle is not expected to live other than a miracle. He’s already had a liver transplant this year, is scheduled for a kidney replacement on Tuesday, and then restarts his chemo a couple of weeks after that. It sucks because this guy was someone who would chop through logs without a problem, and also used to lead a church as their pastor and spiritual guide, and now he can barely sit up.

He’s in his mid-60s, so health problems are kind of expected to creep up. But this guy now appears twice that age. f*** cancer.

And as an update to what seems like a throwaway comment, my son who was given a 5% chance of seeing his next birthday when diagnosed is now a happy healthy 16 year old who loves the Red Wings and plays soccer as a defender for his high school.
hoping things turn around for your uncle. cancer does indeed, suck.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
hoping things turn around for your uncle. cancer does indeed, suck.

Thanks. I hope he does too, but at that same time kinda hope he just goes out quickly. Because this guy would give you the shirt off his back. But he’s lived a fulfilling life. He’s seen all of his kids and nieces and nephews get married and have kids. As it is rn, only one person is pregnant so I know he’s holding on until the birth, and then he’s probably gone.

f*** cancer. It’s a terrible disease. Give me a heart attack or car accident where I go through the front windshield over that.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Things just seem to be getting worse :(

Thanks. I hope he does too, but at that same time kinda hope he just goes out quickly. Because this guy would give you the shirt off his back. But he’s lived a fulfilling life. He’s seen all of his kids and nieces and nephews get married and have kids. As it is rn, only one person is pregnant so I know he’s holding on until the birth, and then he’s probably gone.

f*** cancer. It’s a terrible disease. Give me a heart attack or car accident where I go through the front windshield over that.
Sorry you're going through this, man. Life is fragile.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I am so sorry to hear that. Cancer can **** all the way off.

On a sadly similar note, I found out this morning that a friend/mentor had a heart attack/other and was rushed to the hospital yesterday. Found out an hour or so later that he was brain dead and only being kept alive by machines. His wife was on her way to say goodbye to him and let him pass on. Gone way too soon.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

On a sadly similar note, I found out this morning that a friend/mentor had a heart attack/other and was rushed to the hospital yesterday. Found out an hour or so later that he was brain dead and only being kept alive by machines. His wife was on her way to say goodbye to him and let him pass on. Gone way too soon.

Condolences MM.

Reactions: Mike McDermott

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA

so sorry to hear that. my condolences.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Shitty man. Apologies

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At the ER with the GF. She rolled an ankle and it ballooned up so we are here for some imaging.

Elsewhere it is my ex’s birthday which I find more annoying than anything. :biglaugh:

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Still missing some good hockey, still at the ER. Someone was saying they don’t have a doctor on duty tonight…
how the f*** can a hospital ER not have a doctor on duty? isn't that like, what all the stupid hospital TVs shows run on?

Reactions: JThorne

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
how the f*** can a hospital ER not have a doctor on duty? isn't that like, what all the stupid hospital TVs shows run on?

It was the guy sitting across from us. We saw two different residents and two different supervisory doctors when we finally got back to the area with the beds/chair spaces.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Last time I went to the ER, I waited for 5 hours to get an X-Ray (nobody was available that could do it), and 11 hours before a doctor was available to perform emergency surgery.

Being up all night in a waiting room is really boring. I’m sure I read the entire Internet that night

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Last time I went to the ER, I waited for 5 hours to get an X-Ray (nobody was available that could do it), and 11 hours before a doctor was available to perform emergency surgery.

Being up all night in a waiting room is really boring. I’m sure I read the entire Internet that night

I brought a book I have read before and just plowed into it to take my mind off the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad