Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
So apparently Lundell has some offense in his game now. Must have taken all the projections as the safe pick to heart and wanted to show the world this next gear.

Laine for Ekblad+Lundell pls :sarcasm:

Reactions: boydkc

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The taxi squad concept would have to be accepted by the PA. No question. They would need to agree on a set of rules for how it functions.

An expanded roster might make sense in a lot of ways. But I think the need to raise the cap makes it entirely out of the question, quite apart from any arguments about the actual money being spent. They are committed to the 81.5 cap.

I have wondered about taking the taxi squad with them on the road. They could stay at home and practice. Hire an assistant coach to work with them. I could see it go either way. Coach might not want an extra 6 bodies at practice, diluting the focus on the next game. It is a little harder working with a larger group. But maybe that is insignificant, I don't know. It also adds to the cost. More airline tickets, more hotel rooms, more per diems.

Interesting thought. I believe all flights are chartered so that's not an extra cost, hotel room and per diem for sure. But it does add more cost beyond salary, you are correct.

We'll have to disagree about the commitment to the Cap. The way the Leafs and Knights steamrolled over makes me believe that it may become flexible, if owners have their way. It's a difficult thing to manage, with no option to send players anywhere but overseas to keep them playing.

I think the bubble showed that expanded rosters can work. I'm not sure how that fit under the CBA, although playoff rosters are expanded in general beyond cap constraints. Maurice never used his at all though, other than bringing in Harkins, Bourque and Shaw as injury replacements. The option of having the top AHL line and potential top AHL d pairing available adds some more talent to the roster, rather than having them spread out around the globe. Or training without playing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting thought. I believe all flights are chartered so that's not an extra cost, hotel room and per diem for sure. But it does add more cost beyond salary, you are correct.

We'll have to disagree about the commitment to the Cap. The way the Leafs and Knights steamrolled over makes me believe that it may become flexible, if owners have their way. It's a difficult thing to manage, with no option to send players anywhere but overseas to keep them playing.

I think the bubble showed that expanded rosters can work. I'm not sure how that fit under the CBA, although playoff rosters are expanded in general beyond cap constraints. Maurice never used his at all though, other than bringing in Harkins, Bourque and Shaw as injury replacements. The option of having the top AHL line and potential top AHL d pairing available adds some more talent to the roster, rather than having them spread out around the globe. Or training without playing.

The situations of teams like TML,Caps, TBL is exactly why it is written in stone. The other 28 teams are not going to give them an opportunity to wiggle out of it.

What I wonder about is how they might manage having players moving up and down between the roster and the taxi squad. This is where the PA might dig in their heals a bit.

You could have it that once you declare your taxi squad, players could move freely back and forth without waivers. Players on 2 way contracts would get AHL salary while on the taxi squad, NHL salary while on the 23 man roster. But a man would have to go on IR or be sent to the taxi squad to make room to call them up.

Logical to me. The PA might not agree. The waiver requirement is an important feature of the CBA to ensure that teams can't stockpile players and have some good player denied a fair chance, stuck on a strong team. Waivers require other teams to be given a shot at that guy. So suspending it that way may be unacceptable to them. That would greatly reduce the usefulness of the taxi squad. It would be limited to allowing AHL roster players to practice with the NHL team. If that is all it is, maybe they just have the AHL team spend the whole season practicing and trying to be ready for a call-up. I don't think they would like that much.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The situations of teams like TML,Caps, TBL is exactly why it is written in stone. The other 28 teams are not going to give them an opportunity to wiggle out of it.

What I wonder about is how they might manage having players moving up and down between the roster and the taxi squad. This is where the PA might dig in their heals a bit.

You could have it that once you declare your taxi squad, players could move freely back and forth without waivers. Players on 2 way contracts would get AHL salary while on the taxi squad, NHL salary while on the 23 man roster. But a man would have to go on IR or be sent to the taxi squad to make room to call them up.

Logical to me. The PA might not agree. The waiver requirement is an important feature of the CBA to ensure that teams can't stockpile players and have some good player denied a fair chance, stuck on a strong team. Waivers require other teams to be given a shot at that guy. So suspending it that way may be unacceptable to them. That would greatly reduce the usefulness of the taxi squad. It would be limited to allowing AHL roster players to practice with the NHL team. If that is all it is, maybe they just have the AHL team spend the whole season practicing and trying to be ready for a call-up. I don't think they would like that much.

WWYDW(SE): The 2021 NHL Season

Some idea of what a season might look like. The good thing is that there will not be summer hockey. Playoffs will likely end in June, close to normal.

No talk yet about affiliations. Who would seemingly have to travel with the team to avoid being quarantined before arrival. Canadian division seems like a guarantee, when you are measuring your opponents.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Why do you say they will have a hard time getting games?
If because of the signings of Beaulieu, Forbort and Sbisa don't worry about it. They can all be sent down with zero cap hit, or 200k in Beaulieu's case.

They are there as insurance in case Samberg and/or Heinola are not ready.
I fear Maurice will favour the veterans.

Reactions: Bigfish

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think so. Not as long as the rookies are playing well. I can see him shying away from going with 2 rookies in the lineup to start the season, but that is a different story. I doubt they will spend much time in the press box.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I don't think so. Not as long as the rookies are playing well. I can see him shying away from going with 2 rookies in the lineup to start the season, but that is a different story. I doubt they will spend much time in the press box.

I think

Heinola will have his games early on.
Samberg ia already lock in

Perfetti if he does a Scheifele like 1st pre season.
He will get a game or 2.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think

He will get a game or 2.

I'm not sure he will get signed. Rossi did. It's tough to choose 35 players for camp, and find roles for 31 of them, conceivably. It's possible. Maybe the Jets would prefer to keep him around their core, learning from pros, over a player like Vesalainen.
Gustafsson and Suess should stick around, Suess, for the toughness and the PK. Toninato, Thompson. Maybe room for another forward.

If there is an expanded roster there will also be a lot of competition for depth defensemen. Chisholm and Stanley could find themselves in a competition for a roster spot.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I feel like Samberg is a coach friendly type prospect that will get his minutes. He is a big mobile kid who plays a safe game and his defense is his strength. Dylan appeals to what I think are Maurice’s stylistic sensibilities.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I feel like Samberg is a coach friendly type prospect that will get his minutes. He is a big mobile kid who plays a safe game and his defense is his strength. Dylan appeals to what I think are Maurice’s stylistic sensibilities.

Yeah as a d first dmen that doesn't take offensive risks he will get playing time. Maurice might not trust him in a top 4 role to start but I think he will see regular time on the bottom pair to start.

My guess is Moe uses Forbert and his physicality and strong defense to play with Pionk to start as he is the type of foil Pionk needs.

Reactions: ecolad

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think

He will get a game or 2.

The Jets defense is a bit crowded so I see the team allowing Heinola to stay over seas for one more year. That will also allow his ELC to start at a very opportune time for the org.

Perfetti will likely not be in training camp due to the WJC being at the same time as training camps. I imagine what the org does with him will largely be determined by what happens with the OHL. If the OHL doesn't go he will likely be in the AHL or the taxi squad.

Reactions: leer2006 and hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets defense is a bit crowded so I see the team allowing Heinola to stay over seas for one more year. That will also allow his ELC to start at a very opportune time for the org.

Perfetti will likely not be in training camp due to the WJC being at the same time as training camps. I imagine what the org does with him will largely be determined by what happens with the OHL. If the OHL doesn't go he will likely be in the AHL or the taxi squad.
Either way I expect Perfetti to be signed soon. Rossi’s ELC seems like a good blue print for his performance bonus structure. Let the kid go buy a new pick up with his signing bonus money.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I'd rather stretch out 9 games over a long period with him, and keep him around the team practicing with Scheifele and Wheeler, than have him play in a non contact OHL. I don't think there will be an AHL. If the NHL is only allowing for a 35 player training camp roster, it would be a scramble to put together an affiliate out of the remaining pieces. And unless they travel with the team, how do you call up a player? Would there not be restrictions imposed (quarantine) based on provincial and state guidelines for travel?

Reactions: surixon

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So apparently Lundell has some offense in his game now. Must have taken all the projections as the safe pick to heart and wanted to show the world this next gear.

Laine for Ekblad+Lundell pls :sarcasm:
Never understood the argument that he doesn't have offense. His offensive numbers have always been very good. Wouldn't shock me at all if we end up regretting not taking him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah as a d first dmen that doesn't take offensive risks he will get playing time. Maurice might not trust him in a top 4 role to start but I think he will see regular time on the bottom pair to start.

My guess is Moe uses Forbert and his physicality and strong defense to play with Pionk to start as he is the type of foil Pionk needs.

yea it could go that way if we don’t land a top 4 LHD.

Realistically with injuries I can see Samberg getting decent usage as the season wears on.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be surprised if camps didn't open until Dec 26 or 27. Perfetti/Heinola wouldn't miss much camp if they came from the WJHC.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
yea it could go that way if we don’t land a top 4 LHD.

Realistically with injuries I can see Samberg getting decent usage as the season wears on.
I'm hoping Slamberg gives Maurice no choice but toplay him on the 2nd pairing...
Someone mentioning moving Poink after this season and replacinghim with Heinola and I think that is a great idea, if we don't move him in another deal.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if camps didn't open until Dec 26 or 27. Perfetti/Heinola wouldn't miss much camp if they came from the WJHC.

I think the NHL is still targeting early January. They will wait until football season is over, for broadcasting rights in the US. With NBC the window is January to June this year unless the Olympics are cancelled, and they haven't been yet.

So you might be right about training camps. I'm sure the Jets would like to have them in camp. However maybe they join the team later.

If we were to construct a training camp roster of current players, including unsigned ones, for a 35 player camp, the depth would look something like

18 forwards
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Harkins-Thompson-Appleton
Toninato-Suess-Perreault
Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Reichel

14 defensemen
Morrissey-De Melo
Samberg-Pionk
Beaulieu-Poolman
Forbort-Sbisa (LD is variable from 2-4)
Niku-Kovacevic
Chisholm-Gawanke
Stanley-Nogier

3 goalies
Hellebuyck
Brossoit
Comrie

I don't see us a bringing over a 4th goalie, with Berdin's recent comments. Or taking Holm out of the SEL though it is possible, to have a look at him as a pro.

The option would exist to cut 6 players if it's a 31 player roster again (no idea what the roster size will actually be or if there is a taxi squad that stays in Winnipeg and practices), and leave room for Heinola and Perfetti to join the team later. Still could be some roster changes though.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I think the NHL is still targeting early January. They will wait until football season is over, for broadcasting rights in the US. With NBC the window is January to June this year unless the Olympics are cancelled, and they haven't been yet.

So you might be right about training camps. I'm sure the Jets would like to have them in camp. However maybe they join the team later.

If we were to construct a training camp roster of current players, including unsigned ones, for a 35 player camp, the depth would look something like

18 forwards
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Harkins-Thompson-Appleton
Toninato-Suess-Perreault
Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Reichel

14 defensemen
Morrissey-De Melo
Samberg-Pionk
Beaulieu-Poolman
Forbort-Sbisa (LD is variable from 2-4)
Niku-Kovacevic
Chisholm-Gawanke
Stanley-Nogier

3 goalies
Hellebuyck
Brossoit
Comrie

I don't see us a bringing over a 4th goalie, with Berdin's recent comments. Or taking Holm out of the SEL though it is possible, to have a look at him as a pro.

The option would exist to cut 6 players if it's a 31 player roster again (no idea what the roster size will actually be or if there is a taxi squad that stays in Winnipeg and practices), and leave room for Heinola and Perfetti to join the team later. Still could be some roster changes though.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Yes bang on .but move out Perreault as he will be sent to Ottawa so they can meet the cap floor. Add McKenzie,

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I think Forbort will prove to be much more valuable to the Jet`s than most expect. He will probably start as our 2nd pairing, playing a strong support and shelter role for Pionk, while allowing Samberg to adjust to NHL speed and intensityon the 3rd pairing . It`s difficult to say if he will actually produce enough to warrant consideration as a longer-term 2nd pairing but I wouldn`t be terribly surprised if Samberg might be really challenged to bump him down until well into the year at least. The more intriguing question is wheher the Jets might want to reshuffle at some time to look at
Samberg on the 3rd pairing right side , or possibly even on the 2nd pairing right side if he adjusts to pro easily. I believe that he played on the right some in the NCAA. Should be an interesting TC for sure!

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes bang on .but move out Perreault as he will be sent to Ottawa so they can meet the cap floor. Add McKenzie,
Ottawa now has enough salary to meet the cap floor. Not that I mind the idea of trading MP to clear space if Chevy needed it to sign someone that makes a difference. How much of a sweetener would you give? I'd be reluctant to give too much and would probably just prefer to ride out the season with MP.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

They hVe to have Heinola in the training camp.
He is already one of the team best dman.
Just a matter of physical improvement.
If they worry about sliding his elc 1 more year now. They the team is really content on keeping that almost same D as last year. (Actually they did)
If Heinola shows he can step in. They should let him play.

Perfetti, yes i forgot that WJ.
For him that would be best to be there.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Forbort is a fall back if one of Samberg or Heinola doesn't shine during training camp/pre season. If they do shine he plays 3rd pairing.

I'm not sure that Maurice will be quick to bench Beaulieu off the start. Maybe if he struggles. But Mau is pretty high on him as a player. Maurice credited him with a lot of our (limited) success, and other than the stint he had playing his offside with Bitetto, he gave a boost to the lineup every time he came back. I do agree that Forbort seems to be the fallback on Samberg. There's no sense yet whether the Jets want to keep Heinola with the organization this year. Starting him at d+2 ensures that we are going to get prime years out of him. Samberg seems to be the priority this year to get into the lineup. But if there is a prospect we have that can win a job on his talent this year, it's probably Heinola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad