GDT: Trade Deadline Madness Part 2 - Do or do not, there is no try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
This man deserves a medal.

Even though he was brave enough to take a stance that made him a temporary pariah/person non-grata he still has the grace to take it with a sense of humor.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

TY FF. You can't have passion and expect everybody to fall in line.

Oblivion

Oct 2, 2008
Calgary
Pretty surprised reviewing the main boards how down people are on Russell. Indeed he's not looked great this year but he was sooooo good last year.

He and Wideman were strangely complementary when they played within their limits.

I'm hoping he lands in a good situation in Dallas that'll see him thrive and that both sides come out winners in the deal (the 2nd becoming a 1st wouldn't be half bad either).

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Pretty surprised reviewing the main boards how down people are on Russell. Indeed he's not looked great this year but he was sooooo good last year.

He and Wideman were strangely complementary when they played within their limits.

I'm hoping he lands in a good situation in Dallas that'll see him thrive and that both sides come out winners in the deal (the 2nd becoming a 1st wouldn't be half bad either).

That is all the analytics guys. They don't take into consideration that Calgary's style of play has reduced individual possession stats by 5-6%. Russell will go to Dallas and have ok Possession stats.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
TY FF. You can't have passion and expect everybody to fall in line.

My pleasure sir. I downright know it's entirely likely we'll be at opposite ends of the argument and I'll vehemently disagree with your point of view and your logic. I know there will be times when my own passion gets the best of me and I become rude if not downright insulting.

But I respect that you have your own opinion, even if it differs vastly from my own at times and I respect that you will debate it endlessly with those who may not do so nicely. That you come back from a ten round boxing match and have been through the wringer and can still smile and crack jokes about it makes it all worth it.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So here is a theoretical.

Say Russell does super badly in Dallas and nobody signs him. If he's willing to come back on a one year deal or even a longer deal with lower cap (say 3 million or less) does anyone say yes?

I know I would.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

Say Russell does super badly in Dallas and nobody signs him. If he's willing to come back on a one year deal or even a longer deal with lower cap (say 3 million or less) does anyone say yes?

I know I would.

I would as well. I loved Russ on the team - great team guy and was a great player when we needed him to be.

moon*

I know I would.

Even if he does do badly in Dallas he will still get offers for much more than one year.

I think with the way Wotherspoon has played and the addition of Jokkipakka that there is no room for Russell at all, but if we moved Smid and Wideman and didn't have Hartley back I would look at bring Russell back for 3 million a year or less.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary

I know I would.

Id hope he plays well enough to play 50% of the playoffs.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I know I would.

I always thought that was his value and wouldn't be opposed to a long term deal.

Mind you if he goes to Dallas and sucks, maybe we don't want him back? (ie: Glencross)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I would love to have him back, but the flames have 7 NHL defensemen on the roster for next year already, and I'd rather have nakladal and wotherspoon back if possible

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
No to Russell whatever the price or term. Don't get the obsession with bringing back players that were huge reasons why the Flames are where they are. I'd rather go with Wotherspoon than continue spinning tires.

Anyway, lolNucks

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No to Russell whatever the price or term. Don't get the obsession with bringing back players that were huge reasons why the Flames are where they are. I'd rather go with Wotherspoon than continue spinning tires.

Anyway, lolNucks

Not sure if this is true. How does the Stars offer a higher pick? 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad