Trade and Free Agency Thread - 2022 - Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
we need the equivalent of a Teemu Selanne and Paul Karyia singing for cheap for the same team in the hopes of winning a cup.

Reactions: Rocker13

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd be willing to overpay for a unique element.

You think 11M for Gaudreau though? He's 28 and is he 2.5M better than Forsberg?

He just had a 115 point season, along with multiple PPG seasons on awful Calgary teams, and was a top 5 Hart finalist. Forsberg never had a ppg season until this past season. Not sure he is 2.5M better than Forsberg but not everyone is willing to take a paycut. Forsberg should have gone for a little more.

You have to pay for recent success.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Holl is a fairly average 5-6 defenseman who has the unique attribute of being a 6’4” wing span guy who can shunt traffic to the outside and break things up with his reach. Leafs get more mileage out of him letting him free wheel, but he’s only unique on a blueline that doesn’t normally value that body type.
Only issue with Holl is random unexplained brain farts where he stands around and does nothing, which is when goals normally go in with him on the ice. It's like for a minute he forgets where he is.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He just had a 115 point season, along with multiple PPG seasons, and was a Hart finalist. Forsberg never had a ppg season until now.

I don't disagree with you on paying for recent success but is production that far apart?

609 pts in 602 gp so 1.01 pt/game for Gaudreau

Forsberg, a year younger has 469 in 566 or 0.82 pt/game

Prior to this year Gaudreau was 0.95 but this year propelled him forward...

Overall though, I think I see what you're saying 1.01 is a decent difference vs 0.82...

I know Forsberg brings better defensive and a physical game but hard to argue with production.

I can kinda see the difference in the 2.5M AAV, I think Treliving made a bad decision not to negotiate earlier, plain and simple.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He just had a 115 point season, along with multiple PPG seasons on awful Calgary teams, and was a top 5 Hart finalist. Forsberg never had a ppg season until this past season. Not sure he is 2.5M better than Forsberg but not everyone is willing to take a paycut. Forsberg should have gone for a little more.

Forsberg also didn't hit the open market and signed in an income tax free state. Gaudreau should command more than Marner's current contract in UFA.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They offered Gaudreau 10M x 8 apparently, I don't think it's a money thing at this point.

I do wonder at what point did they decide to not negotiate in season and why?

Good thing thet wouldn't budge that extra mil or 2! That should get them a mediocre bottom 6er.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't disagree with you on paying for recent success but is production that far apart?

609 pts in 602 gp so 1.01 pt/game for Gaudreau

Forsberg, a year younger has 469 in 566 or 0.82 pt/game

Prior to this year Gaudreau was 0.95 but this year propelled him forward...

Overall though, I think I see what you're saying 1.01 is a decent difference vs 0.82...

I know Forsberg brings better defensive and a physical game but hard to argue with production.

I can kinda see the difference in the 2.5M AAV, I think Treliving made a bad decision not to negotiate earlier, plain and simple.

Either way, if Gaudreau takes over 11M, we'll know Calgary didn't offer enough.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I thought Gaudreau and Sutter would be toxic but he had a great season.
They were toxic. Go listen to some of gaudreau post game answers. Shutter has shown him no respect. That is why it’s making it easy for him to leave. He was reported offered 10m a year. Won’t stay in Calgary with sutter as coach

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Good thing thet wouldn't budge that extra mil or 2! That should get them a mediocre bottom 6er.

If he says 13 and I sign, you doing it?

Like at what point is it too rich for you?

Again, depth guys etc isn't much of a factor here. Monahan is likely LTRetired with the amount of injuries he has sustained. Lucic expiring in a year.

Either way, if Gaudreau takes over 11M, we'll know Calgary didn't offer enough.

They were toxic. Go listen to some of gaudreau post game answers. Shutter has shown him no respect. That is why it’s making it easy for him to leave. He was reported offered 10m a year. Won’t stay in Calgary with sutter as coach

I mean realistically, what are we talking, 2-4 years of elite - superstar level play before there is a potential drop off in play? Unlikely to get 8 great years out of the deal right? You kinda accept that when you sign these UFA deals in the late 20's....

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If he says 13 and I sign, you doing it?

Like at what point is it too rich for you?

Again, depth guys etc isn't much of a factor here. Monahan is likely LTRetired with the amount of injuries he has sustained. Lucic expiring in a year.

I mean realistically, what are we talking, 2-4 years of elite - superstar level play before there is a potential drop off in play? Unlikely to get 8 great years out of the deal right? You kinda accept that when you sign these UFA deals in the late 20's....

There are risks but that's what you have to pay when you want to sign current elite level players.

I'm sure Calgary will figure things out and find alternatives. Maybe it'll work out. Not sure you can replace that level of player though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Only issue with Holl is random unexplained brain farts where he stands around and does nothing, which is when goals normally go in with him on the ice. It's like for a minute he forgets where he is.

Oh yeah. There’s a low competency floor with some of his plays. I think cause they give him more free reign than is typical of his skill level. Most of the time it’s okay. Except when it’s really bad.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There are risks but that's what you have to pay when you want to sign current elite level players.

I'm sure Calgary will figure things out and find alternatives. Maybe it'll work out. Not sure you can replace that level of player though.

Life goes on, it's the cycle of the league.

Matthews could walk in 2 years...it would absolutely suck but you likely accept you have a bit of a rebuild in front of you and just do it.

Maybe you find some good players to build around and actually have more success as a team. Who even knows.

Calgary could likely do okay on liquidating Tkachuk, Lindholm, Markstrom, Hanifin, Andersson and a UFA Tanev (all at various points) to turn things around.

Reactions: andora

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The cap hasn't risen in 3 seasons. There's runaway inflation. Gate receipts have been and will continue to take a major hit across the league. I'm expecting salary deflation to kick in soon maybe this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad