Trade and Free Agency Thread - 2022 - Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Quick question for you CBA people: If a team tenders a qualifying offer to an RFA, are they still eligible to trade that player without signing a contract first?

LBloor

Jul 21, 2021
Is this lineup possible?

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Tavares - Copp - Nylander
Milano/Heinen - Kampf - Engvall
Balcers/Donato - Helm - Robertson

Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Sandin
Gio - Lilly
Fleury

Murray
Comrie
Yes if the cap magically jumps 6-10 m by tomorrow

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Just what they are missing :) He's a good AHL talent or a marginal bottom 6 guy. I estimate his chances to help the Leafs would be about the same as Arcobello or Didomenico. I could actually see him having a bit of success on a thin club that could given him some top 6 reps but he doesn't seem to have a bottom 6 skill set which is what they need. He isn't actually an NHL center and he doesn't pk.

I don't think I could justify playing him ahead of Steeves or Robertson who are likely to be the beneficiaries of Mik's departure so who could you possibly sit for him to play?

Lol classic dubas if this happens

Quick question for you CBA people: If a team tenders a qualifying offer to an RFA, are they still eligible to trade that player without signing a contract first?

The only answer I have is you can do it on NHL 22 so probably 😂

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
JT was one of the top 5 faceoff men last season in the whole NHL. Only JT miller would possibly push tavares on the wing. Nobody else. And miller is only a couple inches better than tavares on the draw, percentically only too. Tavares is a killer on the circle.

Also uh, tsn is all over our goaltending department now. Johnston is saying we are in for another gezoalie tomorrow. TSN just added TWO arcticles and videos of the goaltending/johnston saying situation in our goaltending. Its getting fun sire.

Accommodating Tavares in his new flexible forward role is going to be kind of weird. He's still an elite faceoff man, true, so you line him up to take draws, and quite happy to do so.

But then you also need to pair him with a dependable two way center who can be tasked with puck transport and defensive coverage, but is relatively poor at taking faceoffs - since you wouldn't want to burn up a line with two elite faceoff takers. Maybe it's Marner, but if not, who does that guy look like?

Reactions: The Podium

LBloor

Jul 21, 2021
You basically said yes it’s possible, but the handedness/positions might be off despite them being flexible and playing either side.

I have Copp as a C only because he still has the mobility to be a two-way player. JT may be effective defensively, but can’t transition to offense well anymore. Would be worth exploring an option that allows him to move away from the defensive side of the position.

I meant more, can we get that to fit in the cap, and does it make us a better team going into next year
Copp will get 4.5-5 m for 3-4 years by someone this week.

Reactions: Nylander88

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Weren't we publicly shopping miks rights lol

How is that coming along

Probably should have done so with Jack as well and possibly sandin
Yeah not sure why not with Jack as it doesn't seem like there was any effort made to sign him after Mrazek was moved. I don't think the other two would have had any takers.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Accommodating Tavares in his new flexible forward role is going to be kind of weird. He's still an elite faceoff man, true, so you line him up to take draws, and quite happy to do so.

But then you also need to pair him with a dependable two way center who can be tasked with puck transport and defensive coverage, but is relatively poor at taking faceoffs - since you wouldn't want to burn up a line with two elite faceoff takers. Maybe it's Marner, but if not, who does that guy look like?
Dave Bolland or Matt Stajan? Maybe even a Nik Antropov? When's the last time we spoke to any of their agents?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Wondering what everyone's top 3 realistic targets are for tomorrow now that there is some clarity on buy-outs, RFA non-tenders and speculation on prime UFA targets?

Mine are Andrew Copp, Nick Leddy & Nick Deslauriers.

The Copp prediction is based on the Leafs moving out Kerfoot's money.
Gagner, Zach Anton Reese and Comrie

Not targets, just who I think we sign.

Reactions: showtime8

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
With Gaudreau as good as gone from Calgary. I would look at moving Nylander to them.

To Toronto-
Rasmus Andersson
Matthew Coranato

To Calgary-
William Nylander
Justin Holl

Sign Burakovsky for 5yrs/5 million

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I belive so, but more importantly is teams always overpay at this time of year

But even leaf fans hate Holl, do you really think he is highly valued in the league ?
Considering some teams are willing to give up a decent price for worse rentals, there should be. A player who makes 2 million and can play tough mins at a decent level should have value

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Yes if the cap magically jumps 6-10 m by tomorrow

FORWARDS (12)
Right wing: Mitchell Marner ($10,903,000) - William Nylander ($6,962,366) - Danton Heinen ($1,500,000) - Rūdolfs Balcers ($800,000)
Centre: Auston Matthews ($11,640,250) - Andrew Copp ($5,000,000) - David Kämpf ($1,500,000) - Darren Helm ($800,000)
Left wing: Michael Bunting ($950,000) - John Tavares ($11,000,000) - Pierre Engvall ($1,300,000) - Nicholas Robertson ($796,667)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: TJ Brodie ($5,000,000) - Timothy Liljegren ($1,400,000) - Rasmus Sandin ($1,300,000)
Left: Morgan Rielly ($7,500,000) - Jake Muzzin ($5,625,000) - Mark Giordano ($800,000) - Haydn Fleury ($800,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Matt Murray ($4,687,500) - Eric Comrie ($2,000,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 21
Salary Cap: $82,500,000
Bonus Overages: $212,500
Cap Hit: $82,477,283
Cap Space: $22,717

Seems plausible, might not be realistic numbers though

I belive so, but more importantly is teams always overpay at this time of year

But even leaf fans hate Holl, do you really think he is highly valued in the league ?

Absolutely he is

LBloor

Jul 21, 2021
Considering some teams are willing to give up a decent price for worse rentals, there should be. A player who makes 2 million and can play tough mins at a decent level should have value
Did you watch the same leaf games I did all season. He is a give away machine who even his own team scratched

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

Yeah that is true sire. If Johnny be good takes the draw, then I'm fine also him moving side to side back to back, and some other total fool getting the defensive coverage d-o-n-e. Tavares is getting slower and slower, hopefully him and simmonds have worked out a lot this summer. They need speed, speeds' what they need like ROCKY. So tavares also needs a coach like mickey. And motivation like apollo, mr T and adrian. This ain't it for us lately and we need all those gary roberts type of killers summertime. This team yet, is no winner team for life.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Did you watch the same leaf games I did all season. He is a give away machine who even his own team scratched
Yes I did, and he had a bad stretch but was solid after that. He's a worst a #5 who can play top 4 in a pinch. Like I said, worse players teams paid a decent price for. You're at worse getting a late 2nd or a 3rd from a team. Lets not make Leafs players worse than they are.

It's like people saying Nylander won't be highly valued because he's lazy

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like we still have unfinished business with Ottawa.

I wonder how a Kerfoot for Brown deal would go over? We bring the scrappier, higher compete guy home and the Sens get a really cheap center/winger guy in real money and both are UFA next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad