Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
My big hope with Guerin is that he's got the charisma to attract good people and proceeds to actually listen to those people.

This. Totally this.

But I expect to be greatly disappointed.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Since we've spent a lot of time thinking about what could happen, does anyone want to guess what will actually happen?

kegstandbyme

Apr 12, 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Since we've spent a lot of time thinking about what could happen, does anyone want to guess what will actually happen?

If we lose a player without working out a deal, I still feel it’ll be Soucy.

Otherwise I could see Guerin add sweeteners (both Pens picks? At least one of our first rounders) for them to take Rask for instance.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
With Hamilton reportedly looking for $8m-$9m (around 2:30) I'm guessing Carolina doesn't bring him back. If that happens I'd put them at the top of the list of landing spots for Dumba.
  • His cap hit's almost identical to what they currently have allocated to Hamilton
  • 2 years seems like a convenient term for them
  • Dumba can replace at least some of Hamilton's offense and is probably more reliable defensively (though I guess that question's a real can of worms)
  • Carolina's already looked into acquiring him once, at least year's trade deadline
The Wild probably don't land a center in that deal they could probably get a 1st + a good prospect, which is more ammo.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
With Hamilton reportedly looking for $8m-$9m (around 2:30) I'm guessing Carolina doesn't bring him back. If that happens I'd put them at the top of the list of landing spots for Dumba.
  • His cap hit's almost identical to what they currently have allocated to Hamilton
  • Dumba can replace at least some of Hamilton's offense and is probably more reliable defensively (though I guess that question's a real can of worms)
  • Carolina's already looked into acquiring him once, at least year's trade deadline
The Wild probably don't land a center in that deal they could probably get a 1st + a good prospect, which is more ammo.

Hurricanes fans have been talking about it for a while on their board. My proposition there was a 1st+Rees/Suzuki/Ponomaryov base. Not sure how Guerin would feel about something like that, but it's an additional 1st and an additional center prospect. It would be a very similar return to the Zucker trade, so you hope whichever prospect we'd get would progress the same way Addison has.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Hurricanes fans have been talking about it for a while on their board. My proposition there was a 1st+Rees/Suzuki/Ponomaryov base. Not sure how Guerin would feel about something like that, but it's an additional 1st and an additional center prospect. It would be a very similar return to the Zucker trade, so you hope whichever prospect we'd get would progress the same way Addison has.
I remember dismissing the 1st+Rees/Suzuki thing last year and I'm still not all that keen on it, but under the circumstances it'd make sense for us.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I remember dismissing the 1st+Rees/Suzuki thing last year and I'm still not all that keen on it, but under the circumstances it'd make sense for us.

I'm not in love with it, it still feels a little light, but I'm also not really holding out hope for more at this point.

I have no idea why Evason tanked Dumba's value by refusing to use him on the PP. Or maybe he and Guerin were playing 4D chess to try to make his defensive play look better. Who knows.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Geekie and a 1st. What about Necas for Dumba and a 2nd?
They weren't trading Necas last year and I doubt it's become any more likely since then. Don't know how they feel about Geekie; pretty good AHL stats but hasn't really stuck in the NHL yet and turns 23 this July. Might be in a boat similar to the one Donato was in with Boston.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The more I read, the more I want to grab Alexander Wennberg as a stop gap. Apparently he played well in Florida and played up and down the lineup. In a pinch, he could be a top line center, but he's more of a middle-6 guy.
.67 assists/60 is brutal for a center. Certainly not someone you would want playing with skill players

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I assume Trocheck has worked his way into being a part of their future?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
They weren't trading Necas last year and I doubt it's become any more likely since then. Don't know how they feel about Geekie; pretty good AHL stats but hasn't really stuck in the NHL yet and turns 23 this July. Might be in a boat similar to the one Donato was in with Boston.
Jarvis, a 2nd, and a cap dump coming back?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
that's f***ing terrible

It's probably better than a 1st+Rees/Suzuki/Ponomaryov, if only because their 1st this year is 27th and Jarvis is better than anyone we'll get there. I agree it's not ideal for us, but at this point I'm not expecting Guerin to make any moves that would be "ideal" for us. Carolina's only one year contracts are Niederreiter and Trochek though, so they wouldn't have a cap dump in the first place.

If Carolina can get Eichel without giving Trochek to Buffalo, maybe Trochek for Dumba works to some degree. We'd have the benefit of being able to negotiate a contract immediately, or even prior to any trade. Who knows.

But I can't see them parting with Necas, who's a winger anyway, or any other pieces we'd be interested in from their roster.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Jarvis, a 2nd, and a cap dump coming back?
This is one case where I don't think there really needs to be cap coming back. They lose Hamilton and add Dumba without really changing their cap situation, and the Wild shed space from the blueline to reallocate up front. It's part of the reason I think they make so much sense as a destination.

I'd be fine with their 1st + Jarvis, but Canes fans seem to think he'll be jumping into the lineup next year so that might be a non-starter.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is one case where I don't think there really needs to be cap coming back. They lose Hamilton and add Dumba without really changing their cap situation, and the Wild shed space from the blueline to reallocate up front. It's part of the reason I think they make so much sense as a destination.

I'd be fine with their 1st + Jarvis, but Canes fans seem to think he'll be jumping into the lineup next year so that might be a non-starter.

1st+Jarvis feels like a pipe dream at this point, even if I would have expected something similar last year or the year before.

Maybe if we can make this deal happen after the expansion draft, it makes more sense to Carolina, but I still don't know if that's something they really want to do.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I could see a scenario where a Trocheck/Dumba deal could work because Necas can likely play 2C, Staal can play anywhere on that roster and be good, you've got Suzuki who could play 3C (if you move Staal up) and Jarvis can slot in on the 3rd line.

Svechnikov - Aho - Teravainen
Nino - Staal - Necas
Jarvis - Suzuki - Fast
Foegele - Lorentz - Geekie

Slavin - Dumba
Skjei - Pesce
Bean - Lajoie

Ned
UFA Goalie (Andersen, Raanta, Mrazek, Ullmark, Halak, Driedger)

-----

Kaprizov - Trocheck - Zuccarello
Boldy - Rossi - Fiala
Greenway - EEk - Foligno
Bjugstad - Sturm - Hartman
Beckman

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Addison
Soucy - Menell

Kahkonen

On paper, the Hurricanes look worse, but I'm not sure what they can really do about likely losing Hamilton and needing to get Suzuki and Jarvis into the lineup. Wild look like world beaters, tho.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Has anyone ever thought of this:

We spend hours a day discussing possibilities. I wonder if the actual brass of the team spend this much time?

To be honest, I doubt it.

That's the problem with hockey. It's an old boys network, and the guys who run the teams aren't really thinking about all the possibilities. Same old, same old...

In a situation like this, if BG is actually thinking about his job, there has got to be a good trade available that would really help this club. Some guy who is undervalued by his own team, but would improve the team just a little bit. If you can get one or two of those every year, it will be good.
No I haven't thought about it cause old boys or not they aren't what you're painting them as and that's a good thing.

Our team would be blown to hell every year if it was ran by anyone on this board and that's just reality.

They're professionals we are sleuths that's fact.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Reinhart isn't my first choice either, but at the very least he's a capable 50-60 right handed top 6 player. Alex Wennberg is not close to that.
One has actually been a center his entire career so far and one has not.

One has a subpar 50% face off percentage. One does not.

One is a +11 over 400+ games one is -80+

One has been handed top roles since entering while the other has been forced into lesser roles since his breakout season followed by injured seasons.

One makes 100% more sense than the other and will likely come short term and cheap by no loss of assets.

Shall I continue?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The only thing to like about Wennberg is the cheap acquisition cost, but you have to know that you usually get what you pay for.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yeah I don't get the interest either, nor do I understand Ottawa apparently holding out for more than whatever Guerin was offering. But if they can't swing a trade they like and end up cap-strapped in free agency, you'd kind of expect them to circle back around to him.

I feel like it is that whole "ya, but didn't you see him in 201X?! He literally was a 1C!!!" type thing. We all, as fans, like to hold on tight to the highlight years over the collective picture sometimes.

Reactions: Bazeek

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
One has actually been a center his entire career so far and one has not.

One has a subpar 50% face off percentage. One does not.

One is a +11 over 400+ games one is -80+

One has been handed top roles since entering while the other has been forced into lesser roles since his breakout season followed by injured seasons.

One makes 100% more sense than the other and will likely come short term and cheap by no loss of assets.

Shall I continue?

Alex Wennberg is the hill you're going to die on? Really? I don't even like Reinhart, but if you're making me pick the better hockey player it's Reinhart 15 times out of 10 and I don't think there's a lot of room to debate that.

Please do go on. I'd like to see some actual statistics this time too. By the way, both are under 50% on faceoffs, not just one of them.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
I could see a scenario where a Trocheck/Dumba deal could work because Necas can likely play 2C, Staal can play anywhere on that roster and be good, you've got Suzuki who could play 3C (if you move Staal up) and Jarvis can slot in on the 3rd line.

Svechnikov - Aho - Teravainen
Nino - Staal - Necas
Jarvis - Suzuki - Fast
Foegele - Lorentz - Geekie

Slavin - Dumba
Skjei - Pesce
Bean - Lajoie

Ned

-----

Kaprizov - Trocheck - Zuccarello
Boldy - Rossi - Fiala
Greenway - EEk - Foligno
Bjugstad - Sturm - Hartman
Beckman

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Addison
Soucy - Menell

Kahkonen

On paper, the Hurricanes look worse, but I'm not sure what they can really do about likely losing Hamilton and needing to get Suzuki and Jarvis into the lineup. Wild look like world beaters, tho.
Yep. Pure genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad