Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
From talking with Sabres fans, it seems they’d have interest in Ek + Dumba + 1st for Eichel, which to me seems like a deal we’d have to do as long as Eichel’s health is fine. We’d still have shoes at center, but you could theoretically give Ek’s money (+ a bit) to Danault in FA and things workout.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
From talking with Sabres fans, it seems they’d have interest in Ek + Dumba + 1st for Eichel, which to me seems like a deal we’d have to do as long as Eichel’s health is fine. We’d still have shoes at center, but you could theoretically give Ek’s money (+ a bit) to Danault in FA and things workout.
At this point even I've gotten wary of including Ek in any deals... but that's a hard one to say no to.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
At this point even I've gotten wary of including Ek in any deals... but that's a hard one to say no to.
Yep me too. And the thing that I absolutely don't want to do is to over-value Ek or not see a 'sure fire' trade.

We all have to come to really value Ek. But is having an Eichel and then a very good #2 say Rossi better? Is our team closer to a cup by adding offense and taking away the defense? It seems like you'd have to say yes but the homer in me says, ..is it? Are they?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Eriksson Ek reminds me a lot of Michael Peca, in that he's a guy that doesn't quite have elite offensive skill, and instead has a fantastic all around game, but should be playing 2nd line center, not 1st line center. Putting him into a trade and getting a 1st line center back sounds pretty great, on a surface level analysis. I do wonder about Eichel's injury, his future abilities after rehab, and personality (Mr. September seems pretty loved by his teammates while I've heard only bad things about Eichel, but all of it has been through fans and media, so can it be trusted?).

It's definitely a trade I'd take a long look at.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Eriksson Ek reminds me a lot of Michael Peca, in that he's a guy that doesn't quite have elite offensive skill, and instead has a fantastic all around game, but should be playing 2nd line center, not 1st line center. Putting him into a trade and getting a 1st line center back sounds pretty great, on a surface level analysis. I do wonder about Eichel's injury, his future abilities after rehab, and personality (Mr. September seems pretty loved by his teammates while I've heard only bad things about Eichel, but all of it has been through fans and media, so can it be trusted?).

It's definitely a trade I'd take a long look at.
I feel like I’ve heard that one before.

Reactions: BagHead

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
If Ek’s play this season is indicative of who he is as a fully formed player, I’m not sure including him in a deal for Eichel does enough to address the organization’s need at center. Yes, you get that long-sought-after 1C, with greater talent and a higher ceiling, but you’re then still either relying on Rossi to be a top-six center or wading into free agency to find someone to play behind Eichel. It’s not a drastically different situation to where the team is now, even if there’s no debate as to who the better or more valuable player is between Eichel and Ek.

Much as I’d be loathe to lose him, because his talent is undeniable, I think I’d rather part with Fiala. I’d feel more confident in finding scoring from the wing than I would in getting another 2C. If you think Danault is as good or better than Ek, then this line of thinking doesn’t make any sense, but I’m not convinced that Danault will be better bang for your buck.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
If Ek’s play this season is indicative of who he is as a fully formed player, I’m not sure including him in a deal for Eichel does enough to address the organization’s need at center. Yes, you get that long-sought-after 1C, with greater talent and a higher ceiling, but you’re then still either relying on Rossi to be a top-six center or wading into free agency to find someone to play behind Eichel. It’s not a drastically different situation to where the team is now, even if there’s no debate as to who the better or more valuable player is between Eichel and Ek.

Much as I’d be loathe to lose him, because his talent is undeniable, I think I’d rather part with Fiala. I’d feel more confident in finding scoring from the wing than I would in getting another 2C. If you think Danault is as good or better than Ek, then this line of thinking doesn’t make any sense, but I’m not convinced that Danault will be better bang for your buck.

i disagree, 1c is the hardest position to fill in the nhl. if you have a chance to fill it with a top 15 player in that position you take that deal everytime. then build from within on the others. sturm can move up to 3c, hartman has shown he can play okay at the 2c if rossi has growing pains, and you have plenty of prospects that should be ready within a couple years. losing ek might sting a little, but the benefit far outweighs the cost. building from within is the way to go, i wouldnt overpay in free agency to fill the 2c slot when we have players that can cover it much cheaper while others develop

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
i disagree, 1c is the hardest position to fill in the nhl. if you have a chance to fill it with a top 15 player in that position you take that deal everytime. then build from within on the others. sturm can move up to 3c, hartman has shown he can play okay at the 2c if rossi has growing pains, and you have plenty of prospects that should be ready within a couple years. losing ek might sting a little, but the benefit far outweighs the cost.
Yeah, that’s fair enough. Is the difference in value and production between Ek and someone like Danault enough to make including Ek in a deal for Eichel prohibitive? Probably not.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Yeah, that’s fair enough. Is the difference in value and production between Ek and someone like Danault enough to make including Ek in a deal for Eichel prohibitive? Probably not.

i honestly wouldnt even try to sign denault if we got eichel. Reason being is we would have to majorly shake up our roster due to cap. i think the better move would be to play hartman and perhaps resign bonino for another year at a minimal cap just to have a safety net for rossis first year. sturm can move up, hartman has shown he can handle a 2c role too if needed.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We are not forced to do anything. That trade could easily backfire.

Reactions: TwiztedHeat

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's a no-brainer for Guerin. Defensive centers aren't all that hard to find

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
JEE is prototypical playoff style player. Have to keep in mind the combination of heart, grit, hockey IQ and skill makes for an elite playoff performer. Skill alone makes for a quick exit.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
JEE is prototypical playoff style player. Have to keep in mind the combination of heart, grit, hockey IQ and skill makes for an elite playoff performer. Skill alone makes for a quick exit.
True and valid points. Hypothetically if Sturm is a gritty forchecking center that can shutdown and score some goals we could look to replace Ek for half the cost.

Ek @4-5m a year?

Vs

Sturm @ 1.5-3?

Again this is all in mind we are potentially making a play at a 1c. Otherwise we aren't considering this what so ever.

Reactions: GuerinUp

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Ek + Dumba + 1st for Eichel? If there is assurance that Eichel returns to health (and that's as assurance I would absolutely require, from doctors, etc....), then that is a great trade for us. You have everyone you want under the cap, with about 3M to spare for more expensive 12th and 13th forwards. The only problem is how to protect the ED.

Since Eichel replaces Erikson-Ek on the protected list, the choice becomes exposing your forwards from Foligno/Greenway on down to protect Soucy, or protecting Soucy and leaving Moose or Greenway available.

Not sure what I would do. But I sure like the idea of KK/Eichel/Zucc and then Fiala/Hartman and Rossi later in the year/Boldy as the top 2 lines.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
True and valid points. Hypothetically if Sturm is a gritty forchecking center that can shutdown and score some goals we could look to replace Ek for half the cost.

Ek @4-5m a year?

Vs

Sturm @ 1.5-3?

Again this is all in mind we are potentially making a play at a 1c. Otherwise we aren't considering this what so ever.

my thoughts as well

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
We should find a trade where we add to our center group without trading Ek or Rossi.

Dumba for 1st+roster player+top(ish) prospect (the Zucker trade)

1st+1st+?+Rask for Reinhart

Parise(50%) + ? to whoever for future considerations

Kap 7 years $8m
Fiala 6 years $7m
Eriksson Ek 5 years $4.5m
Soucy —> Expansion

Kaprizov(8)-Reinhart(5.2)-Zuccarello(6)
Foligno(3.1)-Ek(4.5)-Greenway(2.1)
Boldy(.881)-Rossi(.925)-Fiala(7)
XXXX-Sturm(.725)-Hartman(1.7)
XXXX

Brodin(6)-Menell(1.5)
Suter(7.54)-Spurgeon(7.58)
XXXX-Addison(.795)
XXXX

Talbot(3.67)
Kahk(.725)

Dead cap: 3.77m
Total cap: 71.711
Spots to fill: 4LW, 13th Fwd, 3LD, 7th D, extra
Unknowns: who the “roster player” is in the Dumba trade
Cap Space: 9.789m

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
My hope is we do not throw Fiala into an Eichel offer because we cannot make the cap work with Parise still on the roster.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Couldn't a 3 way with Seattle help everyones cause?!

Parise picked
Skinner picked

We all get together to make a massive 3 way trade :popcorn:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So they agreed to this after the OT goal?:laugh:

I would probably do that deal, but JEE is an underrated horse, and a big part of the chemistry of this team.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
My hope is we do not throw Fiala into an Eichel offer because we cannot make the cap work with Parise still on the roster.
Parise isn’t going to be on the roster next year. The question is, how much of his money will be off the books. I think we could find a team that would trade for his deal if we added significant futures. There were teams that didn’t even want to get to the cap floor this year that are hurting from Covid. Having his AAV much higher than actual money would help those teams (even if the money isn’t super low yet) The question will be if the price in futures is worth it.

and, even if Parise was on the team, we could make it work with the cap. You can’t be paying bottom 6 guys millions of dollars, but the teams that win often aren’t.

Reactions: JP Flow

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
You swing for Eichel you better not miss. Ek or Fiala isn't Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, or Nino. In BG I'll trust, but I'll instantly suffer from buyers remorse.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Ek @4-5m a year?

Vs

Sturm @ 1.5-3?

I could see Sturm taking JEE's spot on the GREEF line- except we'd have to make up a new name. Sturm isn't so physical, but he is faster, has a long reach, and wins FO's. Greenway and Foligno are plenty physical enough.

Kap - Eichel - Lizard
Boldy- Rask/Rossi - Fiala
Green - Sturm/Hartman - Folingo
Parise - Dewar?/Rask - Hartman

Suter - Spurge
Brodin - Menell
Soucy/Cole? - Addison
Ottenbreit/Belpedio

Talbot /KK

Those first two lines are an upgrade over what we have now, and I think Sturm would add a different flavour to the 3rd. Soucy would be taken by Seattle. I believe ROR will be able to take in place in a couple of years, but we would have to tread water in the meantime. Losing, him, Dumba, and having a declining Suter would make for a lesser D corps. I don't have a lot of faith in Menell's and Addison's ability to play defense...that would be a problem.

Thought experiment. If Talbot has a really good playoff, do you expose him so you can keep Soucy? While my first instinct is to say no, because G's are really important, but Talbot is hitting his mid 30's, and has never been an elite starting goaltender. Odds are he will come back down to earth next year, and certainly the year after that. Are we better off keeping the younger Soucy? I suspect that FA goalies would be attracted to playing here because of the quality and structure of the team, and we could find another Talbot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad