Tracking the Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Switching conferences for a moment, the Rangers,Isles & Winnipeg have pretty similar stretch runs but Rangers (2) & Isles (1) have games in hand. Washington has a bit tougher schedule. To me it looks like Rangers are still 50-50 as the 8th team.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Switching conferences for a moment, the Rangers,Isles & Winnipeg have pretty similar stretch runs but Rangers (2) & Isles (1) have games in hand. Washington has a bit tougher schedule. To me it looks like Rangers are still 50-50 as the 8th team.

Winnipeg is in dire straits right now; they're closer to Carolina and Tampa Bay than anything right now.

There's likely to only be the one Southeast team in the playoffs, and seven from the other two divisions. In order, the teams that control their destiny are Pittsburgh, Montreal, Boston (all within 1 game of each other), Toronto, Ottawa, NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Buffalo.

NY Rangers can finish with 62 points, NY Islanders 60, New Jersey 59, Philadelphia 57. Toronto and Ottawa are at 66, and thus two games clear.

What we need are the Rangers to lose some games, while basically everyone else on this list keeps winning. Problem is that they finish the season with two of their last three games being against Florida and Carolina.

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
What I find interesting about this whole thing is that the "logjam" had broken up into two groups of teams neck-and-neck for playoff spots: the haves and have-nots.

Phoenix sort of bridged this gap yesterday, but for a while it was 3rd-8th, then a small gap to 9th-13th.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
St. Louis beats Detroit in regulation. If we win tonight we'll be two points back of Detroit, and after tonight both teams with 9 games left.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Think it's nearly official that if we're to bump someone out, it will be Detroit. I sure wish Head to Head was the first tiebreaker though. :laugh:

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
This is how I track the playoff hunt. If we win we get closer to the playoffs. If we lose we get farther from the playoffs. Other teams, playing other games, have an effect but if we win we get closer, if we lose we get farther away.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
St. Louis beats Detroit in regulation. If we win tonight we'll be two points back of Detroit, and after tonight both teams with 9 games left.

PHX is now an issue too.... damn, lose one game and the sky falls! Next season the Jackets better win big Oct-Dec, I'm tired of calculating odds daily.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Perhaps we should change the title of the thread to Tracking the Draft Pick. :cry:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
No matter what happens the rest of the season, it's been a much more enjoyable year than I thought it would be.

Absolutely. We had great run, I think that run alone made alot of fans believers in the new roster, Bob, and management showing the courage to grade Gaborik. I remember back when you couldn't dream of a 30 goal scorer waiving his NTC to come here...we got a 40 goal scorer.

Of course when we win the next 2 (SJ and STL), we'll all start talking points again :laugh:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Sportsclubstats.com now gives the CBJ a 3.3% chance to make the play-offs.

Yeah, as I said in the last GDT we put ourselves in a position where we have to win out. Even 7-1-1 might not be enough. No points in the last two games was pretty much the end of us. Unless a team in the top 8 collapses, the playoff positions are pretty much decided.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Yeah, as I said in the last GDT we put ourselves in a position where we have to win out. Even 7-1-1 might not be enough. No points in the last two games was pretty much the end of us. Unless a team in the top 8 collapses, the playoff positions are pretty much decided.

I think most of us pretty much saw this coming when looking at the closing weeks' schedule. I'm pleased with how the season has gone, though I would have been happier with a playoff spot. Now, I'm still hoping for as many wins as possible in the remaining games (especially when I'm in attendance!), but as successful a draft as possible. As a longtime Tribe fan, I'm used to the familiar refrain, "Wait till next year!"

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
DET's record extrapolates out to 53 points (basically)

It's weird how 55 was pretty much unanimously agreed upon as the playoff bar since the day the 48 schedule was announced and how it's so close to being true.

OH and the way this team is playing I can't count them out until they're mathematically eliminated

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I'm bored today, so I thought I'd look at the contender for the 8th playoff spot and their remaining schedule.

As of today (4/10)

8th - Detroit (43 Points) - San Jose, @Chicago, @Nashville, @Calgary, @Vancouver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Nashville, @Dallas (4H, 5A) - only one supposed easy win @Calgary. MAX POINTS - 61

9th - Dallas (41 Points)- @Nashville, San Jose, @Chicago, Vancouver, @St. Louis, Los Angeles, @San Jose, Columbus, Detroit (5H, 4A) - all remaining games against playoff contenders, might be the toughest. MAX POINTS - 59

10th - Columbus (41 Points)- St. Louis, @Minnesota, @Colorado, @Anaheim, @Los Angeles, @San Jose, @Dallas, Nashville - (2H, 6A) - need to play with their backs against the wall, every point is important, might need to win 7 of 8 to get in, second toughest. MAX POINTS - 57

11th - Phoenix (40 Points)- @Edmonton, @Calgary, San Jose, @St. Louis, @Chicago, @Detroit, San Jose, Colorado, Anaheim (4H, 5A) - they've got their work cut out for them, the games on the road are tough. MAX POINTS - 58

12th - Edmonton (39 Points)- Phoenix, Calgary, Minnesota, @Colorado, Anaheim, Anaheim, Chicago, @Minnesota, Vancouver (7H, 2A) - they've got the easiest route because of all the home games, 7 of 9 against playoff teams, this is the team to watch because of the home games. MAX POINTS - 57

13th - Nashville (38 Points)- Dallas, Detroit, Vancouver, @Chicago, Calgary, @Detroit, @Columbus (4H, 3A) - they might be out because they have only 7 games remaining with only one "should win" remaining, not looking good for the Preds. MAX POINTS - 52

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad