Tracking the Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
You nailed it, Detroit is the sickly cow in the herd.... Pray they start losing.

It's a three-horse race, I think, maybe Minny slips back if they keep losing, but it pretty much comes down to us, Detroit, and Edmonton. Gotta win more times than they do and all is well. Seems simple. :sarcasm:

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Sorry, can't project what this team is going to do. I have no guess. Honestly, I'm not sure it matters all that much beyond finishing as strong as possible.

We've exceeded expectations, we've gave us something to cheer about, and we've set ourselves up for a good run in the East next season.

If we make the playoffs, great. I would love it. I'm ready for the playoffs. If we just don't have quite enough to make it, that's fine.

Supposedly 54 or 55 points puts us virtually in. I tend to agree.

Well said. Just finish strong. We haven't played meaningful games so close to the end of the season in a while now. My instinct tells me it's possible, but unlikely. Let's see how the home stand goes. We probably need to win three of the next four. Western Canada has not been kind to us.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
1 full game back of Edmonton.
2 full games back of Detroit, who's in the swing spot.
3 1/2 games back of Minnesota and St. Louis, which will be extremely tough to make up with just 10 games to go.

Phoenix is 1 point up on CBJ, Dallas is tied, Nashville is 1 point back and Calgary is 3 back.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's a three-horse race, I think, maybe Minny slips back if they keep losing, but it pretty much comes down to us, Detroit, and Edmonton. Gotta win more times than they do and all is well. Seems simple. :sarcasm:

I agree about it being between us, Detroit, and Edmonton. But the Blues weren't that good tonight, it almost makes me want to put them in that group.

You nailed it, Detroit is the sickly cow in the herd.... Pray they start losing.

Detroit is the Sick Man of Europe.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The next three games at home are very winnable and that includes the Blues...

The next six on the road will need god on our bench.... :laugh:

Regardless, the Jackets have a chance but the boys must learn how to score goals... Bob can take care of the rest as long as Wiz isn't on the ice...

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
They weren't going to win every game. They've clawed their way back to be so close that every loss stings that much more now.

No doubt about it, they have a tough schedule coming up and the odds are against them. I think it is an actual must that they win all 3 of the next home games. At the very least, I think they need 5 points before heading on the 6-game roader.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
It's hard to predict because several other teams could struggle, and we could back into the playoffs.

Ex. Somebody Louis could tank, Edmontons goalie could get a sharp kidney pain, Datsyuk and Zetterburg could break their legs, and Matty-boy could catch fire and play like he was possessed. .

voodoo%20hockey%20guy.jpg

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
It's hard to I predict because several other teams could struggle, and we could back into the playoffs.

Ex. Somebody Louis could tank, Edmontons goalie could get a sharp kidney pain, Datsyuk and Zetterburg could break their legs, and Matty-boy could catch fire and play like he was possessed. .

voodoo%20hockey%20guy.jpg

That is very very unlikely. There's just too many teams involved here. In that scenario (Edm, Nash, Det) falling could come at the expense of PHX, Dallas (I know they were sellers) rising.

We need a lot of wins. Plain and simple. It ain't over yet but.....it's gotten tougher with just one loss.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Agreed.

San Jose has pretty much separated themselves from the pack, and the Blues and Redwings seem to have re-found their mojo.

The big problem for us is that damn schedule. Having played more games, and having most of our remaining games on the road is just a killer for us.

Let's also be honest. The horrible start to the season really set the table for these conditions, and no one expected us to be within striking distance of the play-offs at this point.

Nothing is impossible, but no matter what happens it has been a hell of a ride.

I looked at everyone's schedule left and the way it plays out, LA, SJ, Minn and St. Louis have the easiest schedules, all play only 4-5 top 8 teams on their schedule. On the other hand, Det with only 10 games left, Edm, Phoe, Nash and Dallas all play heavy schedules of top 8 teams. So I think our only shot is the 8 seed, and Detroit tanking might be our only shot. I don't see the other 9-13 seeds being a threat. We need to go 7-2-1 to get in and that's a very tall order with that brutal 6 game road trip. Hopefully some of those west coast teams have their seed wrapped up and are focused on the playoffs and we can steal some wins.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I looked at everyone's schedule left and the way it plays out, LA, SJ, Minn and St. Louis have the easiest schedules, all play only 4-5 top 8 teams on their schedule. On the other hand, Det with only 10 games left, Edm, Phoe, Nash and Dallas all play heavy schedules of top 8 teams. So I think our only shot is the 8 seed, and Detroit tanking might be our only shot. I don't see the other 9-13 seeds being a threat. We need to go 7-2-1 to get in and that's a very tall order with that brutal 6 game road trip. Hopefully some of those west coast teams have their seed wrapped up and are focused on the playoffs and we can steal some wins.

Det has 5 gm against top 7 teams and 5 against bottom 7 teams.

I see them losing 3 games for almost certainly, Van, Chi and St. Louis tomorrow.

They lost to calgary twice this season already, none of those 7 are sure fire wins though.

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
Remaining schedules, at a glance, for teams within striking distance above/below the Jackets.

:wings:- STL, SJS, @CHI, @NSH, @CGY, @VAN, PHX, LAK, NSH, @DAL

Breakdown: 1 vs. all teams, 5 "somebody's gotta lose" games

:blues:- @DET, @NSH, @MIN, @CBJ, CHI, VAN, PHX, DAL, @COL, COL, CGY, CHI

Breakdown: 2 vs. COL, 2 vs. CHI, 1 vs. all others listed, 4 "somebody's gotta lose" games

:coyotes:- COL, @VAN, @EDM, @CGY, SJS, @STL, @CHI, @DET, SJS, COL, @ANA

Breakdown- 2 vs. COL, 2 vs. SJS, 1 vs. all others listed, 2 vs. "Somebody's gotta lose" teams.

:nashville:- CHI (losing 1-0), @CHI, STL, DAL, DET, VAN, @CHI, CGY, @DET, @CBJ

Breakdown- 3 vs. CHI (first game underway), 2 vs. DET, 1 vs. all others listed, 4 "Somebody's gotta lose" games.

:stars:- @SJS, LAK, @NSH, SJS, @CHI, VAN, @STL, @LAK, @SJS, CBJ, DET

Breakdown- 3 vs. SJS, 2 vs. LAK, 1 vs. all others listed, 2 "Somebody's gotta lose" games

I see quite a few "Somebody's gotta lose" games. We just need to hope a couple of these teams find a way to lose ALL said games.

e- My counts could be off. I'm doing this on little sleep.

Last edited:

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
That is very very unlikely. There's just too many teams involved here. In that scenario (Edm, Nash, Det) falling could come at the expense of PHX, Dallas (I know they were sellers) rising.

We need a lot of wins. Plain and simple. It ain't over yet but.....it's gotten tougher with just one loss.

Did you SEE my voodoo doll? :shakehead

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Just for LOLs CBJ would be winning the Southeast Division right now.

Not only that, but last night would have been the first time that control of the division would have been relinquished to someone else.

Of course, CBJ would have even more points this year by substituting the Southeast opponents for the Central, so...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think the recent indicators are that it is now estimated to take 53 points to get in but regardless, it is still an uphill battle.

St. Louis - 2nd night of a back to back for both teams. Blues goaltending is beatable. 2 points - OOPS 0 pts
Wild - at home. Wild has lost 3 in a row. winnable game - 2 points.
San Jose - at home but the Sharks are hot - 0 points
Blues again - at home - could be a tough one - 1 point
Wild again - 2nd night of a back to back. 1st game on a road trip - 0 points
Avalanche - beatable - 2 points
Ducks - a tough one but we can play them tough. They've cooled off and are playing .500 hockey recently - 1 point
Kings - Loss because the clock stops again "mysteriously" and its a 2nd night of a back to back - 0 points
Sharks again on the road - desperations sets in - 2 points
Stars on the road - who do they have left? - 2 points
Predators at home - playoffs on the line at home - 2 points

Current total: 39
last 11 games: 6-3-2
Final point total: 53 with a clinch or barely miss out on home ice to close the season.

I will also predict that it will be the Red Wings who miss out on 8th and not the Blues.

I see 8 to 9 points down the stretch. 47-48 total; right on my original (47) way back when SWAG but not exactly how I envisioned it happening. Where I differ from the above is I don't see us winning the last 3 but maybe 4 pts there.

Should be an exciting finish.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
And Oilers lose to Kings. We need to just WIN. Sounds simple enough... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad