Speculation: Toughness to Pittsburgh

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There have been a few interviews with Hextall and Burke and they appear to have a very common message: they want to address the team toughness of the Penguins if they get the chance. It's not that surprising, JR left the team as a pretty small and speedy forward group with a bunch of small and speedy puck movers on defense, so they do need to balance it out somewhat. But they have been adamant about this in quite a few articles:

Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, Pirates News, Live Coverage | DK Pittsburgh Sports
Penguins Hextall Says He’d Like to Add Toughness, But… | PHN+
Joe Starkey: For better or worse, the Penguins are about to get tougher

Both Hextall and Burke have been pretty adamant about this, so I think this is a safe bet. It would almost definitely be a forward, because they're absolutely jammed packed on defense right now (sadly my dream of Oleksiak coming back won't happen). So who do you think they could end up targeting? A few names that make sense to me:

-Brown, connection to Hextall
-Bennett, connection to Burke (IIRC Burke absolutely loves Bennett)
-Laughton, connection to Hextall (I can't imagine Philly trades him here but he would definitely fit)

Bond

May 10, 2012
You should really overpay for Bennett. Burkie loves truculence, first and your most medicore RW prospect lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am sure Hextall will grab Morin once Hagg comes back healthy and we try and "sneak" Morin back thru waivers.

Then he will go on to punish the Flyers physically for the next 5-7 years.

I actually thought Hagg made some sense too, but I don't see that working with how jammed the Penguins are on defense. And that doesn't even touch on the trading between the two teams aspect.

Will they try to get Ryan Reaves again?

Vegas won't trade him so it's a moot point.

Matt Irwin, Buffalo Sabres.

Brendan Smith for Jon Gruden

Tough means tough, not "ass at hockey".

A tough player is usually ass at hockey, but not everyone who is ass at hockey is tough :laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I actually thought Hagg made some sense too, but I don't see that working with how jammed the Penguins are on defense. And that doesn't even touch on the trading between the two teams aspect.

A tough player is usually ass at hockey, but not everyone who is ass at hockey is tough :laugh:
The last part rules oh Hagg then.

;)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The last part rules oh Hagg then.

;)

Hey I think Hagg sucks too, but he's actually tough :laugh:

Guys who are known for their toughness are almost always bad players (outside of a select few players like Tom Wilson), but being a bad player doesn't mean they're tough. Brendan Smith's just a bad player.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Guys who are known for their toughness are almost always bad players (outside of a select few players like Tom Wilson), but being a bad player doesn't mean they're tough. Brendan Smith's just a bad player.
He really isn't. He got beat up my Kotkaniemi.

He hits...usually it's after the player passes the puck so it's not worth anything. But coaches like him.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He really isn't. He got beat up my Kotkaniemi.

He hits...usually it's after the player passes the puck so it's not worth anything. But coaches like him.

Ah, so he's modern day Jack Johnson then. Gotcha :laugh:

Sounds like they need a Rasmus Ristolainen

And speaking of Jack Johnson clones, although Risto is more like a 2010 Jack Johnson.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

lol
hey, I've read your posts, let us Sabres fans try and move some of our, (clears throat), movable parts?lol

Reactions: Empoleon8771

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Radulov, Getzlaf, Backes, Lee, Tkachuk... I mean those dudes aren't/weren't ass at hockey and I'd consider them pretty tough. Pretty much every player in the 90s... hell some of the players in the 2000-2015 timeframe could take/give hits without laying on the ice like soccer players. I get the need for speed but damn you have to have a guy or few who makes the opposition sweat the pucks in the corner and can get nasty if necessary.

Not getting my hopes up here...but have been beating the big / power forward drum for so long - just hope it happens before it doesn't matter. Played with Geno and whomever his partner is and you've got the most obvious piece the Pens have missed in years. Once Kunitz went downhill we pretty much stuck with the high upside small forward model.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hey Cody Ceci turned into a decent player in Pittsburgh. It could happen with Risto :dunno:

Not really related to this specific thread, but I think Ristolainen is at least an intriguing player. The Ceci comparison is a good one because he had a similar issue, being played way over his head and getting caved because of it.

He doesn't make sense for Pittsburgh, but if you pair him with a good DFD and have him on a well structured team, I think he could be a really good piece for a team's 2nd pair. Ristolainen would do really well on a team like the Islanders IMO.

Radulov, Getzlaf, Backes, Lee, Tkachuk... I mean those dudes aren't/weren't ass at hockey and I'd consider them pretty tough. Pretty much every player in the 90s... hell some of the players in the 2000-2015 timeframe could take/give hits without laying on the ice like soccer players. I get the need for speed but damn you have to have a guy or few who makes the opposition sweat the pucks in the corner and can get nasty if necessary.

Not getting my hopes up here...but have been beating the big / power forward drum for so long - just hope it happens before it doesn't matter. Played with Geno and whomever his partner is and you've got the most obvious piece the Pens have missed in years. Once Kunitz went downhill we pretty much stuck with the high upside small forward model.

Getzlaf and Radulov don't fit here, but even if they did, you could name at least a dozen terrible tough guys for every 1 good tough guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad