Tortorella takes emergency leave, will not coach tonight or the ASG

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Jets fan coming in peace..

Torts looked like a lunatic when he coached in Vancouver...

But as a dog lover to the extreme I respect his decision 100%. it's the all star game....which is pathetic on a good day...

Good on him....

The NHL's corporate all star garbage can go to you know where...

As bizarre as he can be...world needs more Torts.. Go Jackets....I hope if you win the Cup he says something completely outrageous and offends many....

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
His wife or someone in the family couldn't take care of the dog for a couple of days? I'm a pet owner and I think it's strange. My mind went to this being JT's way of getting a few days away from the team and getting all the players away from him for a few days... let the CBJ's all-stars go to the game and enjoy themselves without 'coach' there and let coach get his batteries recharged. He seemed really frustrated with their play after pretty much every game the past few weeks, even the wins (and it has been a little painful to watch, hasn't it).

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
So let me make sure I understand 2017. It's been confusing so far.

Priorities list (in order):

Family
Country
Football
Dogs
My Guns
My Money
Other Sports
My Job
Religion
Other Americans Like You
Other Pets
Wildlife
Other Americans Unlike You
The Environment
Refugees

Can anyone check this out for me?

Last edited:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I don't know John Tortorella. Never met him.

He seems like one of those Type A people that live their life "dialed up to 11" 100% of the time. But from what I have observed over the years and his year and a half in Columbus, I think he is really trying to change.

Since he has a Stanley Cup on his resume as head coach, he knows what is just over the horizon. If he genuflected upon everything and used this as an "excuse" to "dial it back to 9" for just a couple days, then good on him. I'm not saying this was his thinking....just spitballin'

I read with great personal interest some of the stories and related things around the #BellLet'sTalk event this week. I'm going through some very minor stuff at the moment which caused me let go of my first impression of this story, and wonder.

It's possible I'm trying to connect dots which do not exist. I'm trying NOT TO BE another knee-jerk reactionary in our 21st century, internet chat-board society.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Since he has a Stanley Cup on his resume as head coach, he knows what is just over the horizon. If he genuflected upon everything and used this as an "excuse" to "dial it back to 9" for just a couple days, then good on him. I'm not saying this was his thinking....just spitballin'

Could be. Smell a bit like leaving practice early and living in the States when he was in Vancouver.

It's not necessarily his fault, but this getting blasted as a Family Emergency in the media was more of the issue to me. Not sure who started that messaging. Fell ill, could've worked just as well. Hit by Rene Bourque could've too.

For all we know, he and his wife planned a getaway over All-Star Weekend never imagining he'd have to coach it. (Mind you, he lost some of his summer with Team USA).

I like Torts, but he's a guy that expect 100% out of each of his players every shift and he wants their mentality to be unbreakable. Feels inconsistent to me. As long as the guys in the room are cool with it, that's all that matters.

If Player X walks in (and then Player Y & Player Z) and says he need a serenity day then...

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Good on Torts.

All the NHL all-star game does is make a lot of money for the NHL. The game and skills competition are worthless. When the all star game was here, I declined the ticket offer since I was a STH. Didn't want to waste the money. The only major league all-star game that is worth watching anymore is the MLB version. The major sports leagues, where the players and their teams worry about the injury factor, should just not even bother. Just do like college football does with naming their all Americans at the end of the season.

I spent over $2K on one of my dogs right rear ACL. Many of my friends thought I was nuts. They don't get that my pets are a part of my family.

As long as the CBJ front office was good with what Torts did, I am good with it too. I get it.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Good on Torts.

All the NHL all-star game does is make a lot of money for the NHL. The game and skills competition are worthless. When the all star game was here, I declined the ticket offer since I was a STH. Didn't want to waste the money. The only major league all-star game that is worth watching anymore is the MLB version. The major sports leagues, where the players and their teams worry about the injury factor, should just not even bother. Just do like college football does with naming their all Americans at the end of the season.

I spent over $2K on one of my dogs right rear ACL. Many of my friends thought I was nuts. They don't get that my pets are a part of my family.

As long as the CBJ front office was good with what Torts did, I am good with it too. I get it.

Pets are family. He is taking care of family. I respect him and his decision, and kudos to the CBJ for allowing Torts some time away. For those of you who don't think pets are family, that is your view. But from past experience in putting the dog down that is in my pic, it is hard. If you are a dog lover, you get it. Best wishes and prayers to Torts and his family during this difficult time

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Beer
Family
Country
Football
Dogs
My Guns
My Money
Other Sports
My Job
Religion
Other Americans Like You
Other Pets
Wildlife
The Environment
Refugees

Checked in out. Only one glaring omission and I fixed it for you.

:D

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Pets are family. He is taking care of family. I respect him and his decision, and kudos to the CBJ for allowing Torts some time away. For those of you who don't think pets are family, that is your view. But from past experience in putting the dog down that is in my pic, it is hard. If you are a dog lover, you get it. Best wishes and prayers to Torts and his family during this difficult time

Did not grow up with a dog, was never a dog lover nor did I understand those that were. But now watching someone close to me with their dog; the dog is more important than I am...maybe that says something about me :help:

But joking aside, their love for their dogs is real and intense. The military service for Torts' son only adds to the intensity. Torts loves the dogs to begin with, maybe his spouse even moreso. But regardless of the love for the dog, he loves his family...So I get missing an ASG to deal with end of life of their dog, to SUPPORT his FAMILY.

Most of us can work at home, at night or on weekend to cover the missed time, or we go to work and are a phone call and a 20 minute drive away if need be....Torts would have been 3000 miles away for 3 days during a family crisis that only his family can understand. And to those that are HS football coaches suggesting that Torts is wrong- maybe they would coach that Friday night game but they would be home that night, and every night, not 3000 miles away in LA for an all-star game. And they would absolutely miss a summer all-star game for a family dog or for some other event that was important to THEM AND/OR THEIR FAMILY. Yes, Torts demands 100% from his players, but he also seems to have enough balance that if one of his players had a similar family/life crisis, he would be supportive of their time away, knowing that he would get 100% when they got back.
Everyone has different perspectives on life; the lack of compassion and empathy at times for different views/experiences is amazing at times.

Last edited:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Did not grow up with a dog, was never a dog lover nor did I understand those that were. But now watching someone close to me with their dog; the dog is more important than I am...maybe that says something about me :help:

But joking aside, their love for their dogs is real and intense. The military service for Torts' son only adds to the intensity. Torts loves the dogs to begin with, maybe his spouse even moreso. But regardless of the love for the dog, he loves his family...So I get missing an ASG to deal with end of life of their dog, to SUPPORT his FAMILY.

Most of us can work at home, at night or on weekend to cover the missed time, or we go to work and are a phone call and a 20 minute drive away if need be....Torts would have been 3000 miles away for 3 days during a family crisis that only his family can understand. And to those that are HS football coaches suggesting that Torts is wrong- maybe they would coach that Friday night game but they would be home that night, and every night, not 3000 miles away in LA for an all-star game. And they would absolutely miss a summer all-star game for a family dog or for some other event that was important to THEM AND/OR THEIR FAMILY. Yes, Torts demands 100% from his players, but he also seems to have enough balance that if one of his players had a similar family/life crisis, he would be supportive of their time away, knowing that he would get 100% when they got back.
Everyone has different perspectives on life; the lack of compassion and empathy at times for different views/experiences is amazing at times.

Truly well said....very vey good post...thank you for that.

JeffKenny

Jan 27, 2017
That pretty much sums up what's wrong with the state of football in some people's minds.

It's just a game, folks.

You are right it is just a game, :handclap: but sometimes it is hard to remember that when you see Calvert get 36 stitches in his forehead and come back to score the winning goal, or Nick Foligno drop the gloves with 230lb Ryan Reeves or Zach Werenski lay on the ice with what he said he was sure was a broken ankle only to come back minutes later.

I just hope ever man in the Blue Jackets locker room is able to accept Torts' reason for not being on the bench Thursday and none of them are questioning his priorities, because that is all that matters.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Family
Country
Football
Dogs
My Guns
My Money
Other Sports
My Job
Religion
Other Americans Like You
Other Pets
Wildlife
The Environment
Refugees

Let's keep politics out of this.

That said...

You might want to sum it up with the idea that different things have different levels of importance to different people.

Maybe, just maybe, we ought to respect the decisions others make since, you know, they're the ones that have to live with the outcome.

I really have a hard time understanding why you're taking this so personally and why you're so aggravated about it. How does this affect your life? Should the CBJ have consulted you for your opinion before allowing this? What is it that you really expect, here? Do you honestly think his players will respect him any less because of this? Really? Given how many CBJ players are also dog owners, what if I told you they might actually identify with and respect him even more because of it?

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Let's keep politics out of this.

That said...

You might want to sum it up with the idea that different things have different levels of importance to different people.

Maybe, just maybe, we ought to respect the decisions others make since, you know, they're the ones that have to live with the outcome.

I really have a hard time understanding why you're taking this so personally and why you're so aggravated about it. How does this affect your life? Should the CBJ have consulted you for your opinion before allowing this? What is it that you really expect, here? Do you honestly think his players will respect him any less because of this? Really? Given how many CBJ players are also dog owners, what if I told you they might actually identify with and respect him even more because of it?

I've said the only thing that matters is the people in the room. I'm not taking anything personally, so save me.

Personally, I've put down many pets. My grandfather even needed me to make the decision to pull the plug on my 62 year old grandmother. And I did. You grieve, you move on. You get a pet knowing that it will live from 10-15 years. Perhaps I've just had to make more emotionally charged decisions than most.

I just found it more strange than anything, then found it even more strange nobody else found it strange. On the bright side Jones, Bob and Cam get to spend some time with Gretzky.

If this team were 12-32 instead of 32-12, I'd wonder if this would be different.

The majority of people care more about their dogs than Syrian child refugees. They really do. I'll save you from a lecture on that. (And yes, I am actively doing things for these people)

Think I've said everything that I need to. I will leave in peace.

P.S. I love dogs.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I was surprised to learn he was grieving for the loss of his son's pitbull.. But, I know dogs can be really important to him and this could be a time to "rebound" with the recent struggles.

I get it can be tough, but I'm surprised to see he was allowed time off. But, I typically work through all of life difficulties/distractions. I try to leave outside distractions in life outside of work, unless given the time to unwind at work. And I try to leave work at work if possible.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It's one out of 82 games. To compare it to HS football is like comparing it to a coach leaving the sideline for an eighth of a game (roughly 6 minutes out of a 48 minute game) based on a 10 game schedule. Based on some comments on here some of you would have fired Joe Paterno when he crapped himself in Ohio Stadium and had to run inside during the game to clean up.
Now if he did this during the playoffs then I would question him.
I have no idea what the dog means to him or what the dog was going thru (again his sons dog in service maybe he promised to take care of him, maybe the dog had emergency surgery as plane was taking off, whatever none of us knows what could be going on). At same time maybe it was a convenient excuse to not waste a few days off for an exhibition game. I don't care. I trust Torts and his decision making.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
As a dog owner I completely understand his decision. But most importantly I realize my opinion/approval of the decision doesn't mean jack. He did what he thought was best and I respect that - especially given that it was his son's dog and is son is overseas serving our country unable to take care of it himself.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Sacrifice isn't empty syllogism. Civilization stays with us because we have Tortorello like people. Deep respect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad