Tortorella takes emergency leave, will not coach tonight or the ASG

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I love animals, but really? Really? 10 year old pit bulls die. That's what they do.

Considering the number of athletes that are playing right after a parent dies -- feels off.

Considering I like my dogs better than I like a lot of people can disagree with your statement. If it is something you have a strong bond with, I don't blame him one bit.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Considering I like my dogs better than I like a lot of people can disagree with your statement. If it is something you have a strong bond with, I don't blame him one bit.

This 100%.

What I'm scratching my head over is the NHL enforcing the "Crosby rule" in this situation.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I understand skipping the ASG for the dog, its a gimmick, but not sure I understand skipping out last night. Not that it would have mattered of course.

Not to make it about me but my childhood pet died at 3AM the night before I had to go to one of my first days of college a few years ago. I had classes from 9 AM to 4 PM (schedule sucked) but I still went to all of them. It was hard as hell though.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I cannot imagine a player not playing in a game because a pet is dying. Sorry. So to me that trickles up to the leader.

And I love my pets. Can't imagine missing games for it. You are in the NHL. I'm not sure I'd skip my beer league game for that.

He has 4 other pitbulls so will he be missing games for all of their dying days?

Put it under when he's not on a road trip.

I like Torts and I like dogs, but I think this is kind of pathetic.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I understand skipping the ASG for the dog, its a gimmick, but not sure I understand skipping out last night. Not that it would have mattered of course.

Not to make it about me but my childhood pet died at 3AM the night before I had to go to one of my first days of college a few years ago. I had classes from 9 AM to 4 PM (schedule sucked) but I still went to all of them. It was hard as hell though.

He had to miss last nights game due to the league rules that you must have missed the game before the ASG in order to skip it or you will be suspended for the first game back from the ASG. So no matter what he would have had to miss on game. Skipping last night game means he will not lose his pay or have a suspension on his record.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
It's his son's dog who is stationed overseas. Probably means a lot more to coach.

Not to make it about me but... my cat's name is Emma

CBJwheel

Mar 4, 2007
Findlay
This isn't like the Stanley Cup final. It's an All-Star game. I'm sure Tortorella saw the ASG as nothing more than a distraction. Compare that versus a family pet with failing health--it would have been an easy choice for me as well if I were in his place.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Births
Deaths of Parents, Spouse, Children, Siblings
Severe illness, accident or natural disaster involving one of the above relatives

The only reasons you don't go to work when able. Maybe I'm a jerk.

FWIW I don't mind him skipping the All-Star game, but why do it if you have to miss a game?

Plus, how long does it take to kill a dog? This isn't 1920. There are airplanes.

I place this in the same category of people grieving a 60 year old gorilla. I mean, it's a 60 year old gorilla, what do you expect? Now, if it were shot because humans did something stupid, that's a little different.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Too bad for the dog but we might all die.

Tortorella's current day character is an interesting topic, especially when unprecedented responses to incidents such as this take place. In such extreme business as coaching you rarely do well with what many might classify as normal. Tiger does not get out of its stripes yet newfound halo has taken place over Tortorella's act.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Different pets mean different things. I've had pets all my life, but there were some not so great times in my life where a pet meant more than anyone will ever know. When they passed, it was really hard. With some it isn't that way.

Bottom line is I've heard Torts talk with great passion about his dogs, and I'm not about to judge.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Personal time is personal time. If it's important enough to him to do this, then who are any of us to judge?

I might be more sympathetic because of my own situation. I have 0 kids and 2 dogs. They are 11 and 12 years old and I will be devastated when they go. They are as important to me as any of my friends and family, and quite frankly, more so in most comparisons.

But again, what I think, or anyone thinks really doesn't matter. This is between Torts and CBJ management.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I place this in the same category of people grieving a 60 year old gorilla. I mean, it's a 60 year old gorilla, what do you expect? Now, if it were shot because humans did something stupid, that's a little different.

RIP to my mans Harambe.

JeffKenny

Jan 27, 2017
A friend of mine is a head high school football coach here in Ohio. I asked him today "what would happen if you called your AD and said you wouldn't be at the game this Friday because your dog was sick"? He said "I would be fired". I then proceeded to tell him what happened with the Blue Jackets. He said "well i guess high school football is more important in Ohio than NHL hockey".

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
My dog is 13.5 (and 110 lbs, so that's rather old) and dealing with cancer, heart failure and some sort of neurological condition. I completely understand Torts missing the game.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
A friend of mine is a head high school football coach here in Ohio. I asked him today "what would happen if you called your AD and said you wouldn't be at the game this Friday because your dog was sick"? He said "I would be fired". I then proceeded to tell him what happened with the Blue Jackets. He said "well i guess high school football is more important in Ohio than NHL hockey".

That pretty much sums up what's wrong with the state of football in some people's minds.

It's just a game, folks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad