Pre-Game Talk: Toronto VS Edmonton (saturday game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I actually think that this 11-7 lineup experiment that’s going on lately , will actually be implemented to start the playoffs by Keefe .
I wasn’t to keen on this at all , pretty against it actually , but it just came to me that he just might try this for real . Firstly it’s a way to keep the D core healthier and fresh for a possible long run , and it allows them to play the elite 6 more , especially AM and MM and WN upfront and Mo in a more offensive role mostly . This is just a theory of mine and I know there are real problems that can arise from it , also not a very good track record thus far ( limited ) .
You can always flip Mo or Gus or Lilly or TJ up front in a pinch ( extreme circumstances)
I just have this feeling that this is what they are looking at ??
I’m on the fence now , if I take away some old worn biases , maybe there’s something to this ? but if you have that talent up front and they are in their prime and can go ? Why not try ?
I guess we will see …
Just a hunch and a thought ?
They are progressive enough and rely on those mumble jumble stats do-Hickey wizardry ( just kidding for those who need to know ) lol
But , they just might try this ??
Anyway
GLG
Hope we come up big tomorrow, could use a statement game this late in the season moving forward into the land of OZ And beyond hopefully …

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It was actually a sarcastic response to the poster swinging all the way left on Keefe having vantages of Holl that HF posters aren't privy to make player assessments. I just swung it all the way right to show how silly all or nothing is here.

For the record, I was against Holl not being given an opportunity to play under Babcock, and there are posts of me saying it in HF (and it doesn't mean bupkiss anyways, right? :D).

Having said that, I think there is a big difference between a then 27-28 year old Holl not being given an opportunity to gain experience and develop vs. a 23 year old Liljegren, Sandin, and essentailly a rookie Timmins, all of whom are players that have higher ceilings, and are being counted on to be key players for us in the long-term. Holl? Not so much...
Keefe > Babcock and our defense these past two seasons trumps anything that Babcock iced. If you recall back then (and I'm sure you do since you have such a great memory...) we couldn't hold onto leads and had a tendency to allow teams to get that tying goal. Now we don't. You can thank Holl partly for that.

We are in "win now" mode. Not "let's let Lilli give it a try" mode.

Lilli will get his chance. This season won't be it. If anyone sits in the playoffs, it's likely going to be Lilli and Gustaffson.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Edmonton looked like a real contender against Leafs. Hopefully Leafs show they can be good on home ice too, like the Oilers were. I can see Oilers going to the finals.

It will require a 60 min effort. If Samsonov starts letting in floaters to McDavid and Hyman like he did in Edmonton it will be game over before the first period is done.

• Wow
Reactions: TheGroceryStick

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Hopefully the Leaf brass wines and dines McDavid behind the scenes this weekend, so he comes home at the end of his contract. haha :)
and when the time comes for him to "come home" and doesnt cause Dubas will find away to still be here and keep screwing up the cap space, then what? Guys can we stop living in dream land for a minute. Its just like all the Yotes fans, all 10 of them saying Matthews is coming home. We continue to come up with the same jokes and 5 first round picks but last i checked, their playoffs dont end after handshakes and 3-1 choke jobs.

Wait and see is much better than dream land.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Rielly + Gust against McDavid surely has to have you all seeing how big of a fraud Keefe is, right?

He just loves to play to the benefit of the other team, it's insane.

Bunting + Tavares + Simmonds... Is this shit just from a hat?

It will require a 60 min effort. If Samsonov starts letting in floaters to McDavid and Hyman like he did in Edmonton it will be game over before the first period is done.
Rielly doesn't have someone that will carry him. There will be no 60 minute effort.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
It was actually a sarcastic response to the poster swinging all the way left on Keefe having vantages of Holl that HF posters aren't privy to make player assessments. I just swung it all the way right to show how silly all or nothing is here.

For the record, I was against Holl not being given an opportunity to play under Babcock, and there are posts of me saying it in HF (and it doesn't mean bupkiss anyways, right? :D).

Having said that, I think there is a big difference between a then 27-28 year old Holl not being given an opportunity to gain experience and develop vs. a 23 year old Liljegren, Sandin, and essentailly a rookie Timmins, all of whom are players that have higher ceilings, and are being counted on to be key players for us in the long-term. Holl? Not so much...
I mean it was pretty clear tongue n cheek. Poster was saying Keefe is right purely because he’s a coach and knows the room. You posted a coach who was a coach and knew the room too and had a different idea. It was hilarious.

I’m glad Babs is gone. Holl is a solid d man when used in the right situation…..it’s on Keefe that he doesn’t stick to that. Lilly is better. End of game close out?? I agree with the earlier poster about how I’d play neither. (Sorry too lazy to look up your name but fully agree)

I’m tired of not knowing which team will show up. Constant line juggling seems to me to mess with that but I’m willing to give it time to experiment. But sweet Jesus we better set on some lines soon and let them build chemistry.

Reilly-Gus scares the living crap outta me. Two extreme defensive liabilities on same line. I’d sit Reilly for Gus tho and give him PP time as part of the experiment tho.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
We're going to be busy starting tomorrow. 5 games in 8 days.
Now that that hard dirt rigth thurr sire.
Just imagine how hard it is foe the goaltenders groins...... very hard. They are pushing to shove for 5 times during 8 days. They get paid a lot, but this is still tiresome.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What is the priority for the leafs right now? Is it winning games or is it figuring out the best combinations of forwards and defensemen. The Leafs clearly want to finish above Tampa Bay for home ice advantage in the playoffs, but right now they have a 5 point lead and until there is a serious threat to them losing that lead, I think the priority is going to be on the combinations. So why not try out unusual combos like Gustafssson and Rielly? Also, with 7D, it’s always possible that they are looking at that combo for situations where they have an o-zone start and need a goal, Otherwise they may both be playing with other partners.

Last edited:
Reactions: meefer

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
and when the time comes for him to "come home" and doesnt cause Dubas will find away to still be here and keep screwing up the cap space, then what? Guys can we stop living in dream land for a minute. Its just like all the Yotes fans, all 10 of them saying Matthews is coming home. We continue to come up with the same jokes and 5 first round picks but last i checked, their playoffs dont end after handshakes and 3-1 choke jobs.

Wait and see is much better than dream land.
What playoff series doesn't end with handshakes?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Lots could have been different.

If Kerfoot doesn't do a drop pass, to Brodie skating the other way... Tampa doesn't score their first goal... and there isn't OT.

If Mikheyev doesn't do a bad pass on the PP, they don't get a short-handed goal... and there isn't OT.

We have possession, with no puck pressure... Marner decides to try a home run pass, and screws it up.. Why he doesn't do the safe play, who knows? He screws up the pass though, and the puck is coming the other way. Matthews falls down on the play. Marner whiffs on his player, and let's him by, and stands and watches.
Giordano allows a guy to go straight to the net, and falls down. Nobody rotates, Campbell doesn't make a save. But to declare that play is on Holl only???

Seriously, to blame this games solely on Holl is beyond ridiculous.. Marner screwed up TWICE, on the same play.. but it's Holl's fault!!!

What's even more entertaining, is the same people will then use the same game, as evidence that Kerfoot lost the game for us.

I can even blame a guy on that play you havnt mentioned.

It's all Buntings fault!

He was lazily getting back on D and had plenty of time to pick up the loose man but looked like Ovi controller DCd and when he finally hustled was actually the guy who knocked the puck into his own net! You are right in that changing nameplates certainly colors peoples views on the plays. If that was Liljegren and not Holl, I don't think he gets mentioned much by anyone.

Personally, I think Marner whiffing allowing the 3 on 2 down low and Campbell moronically lifting up his pad to let the rebound through are the most to blame there, especially Campbell (will we ever get a competent goaltending performance in a big game?) so I really hope we get a big performance from the keepers this year.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That game last week was one of the worst games of the year for sure. Hope they prove you wrong

I hope you are right.

I've seen this picture too many times, I love the team, don't care for their effort on many nights. Not sure Keefe knows what to do with the sandpaper Dubas got him at the TDL. There is kinda a blue print with Hyman, he was the guy who did the board work, the grunt work, dirty work while Nylander and Matty found open space. There is no reason why you cant have Lafferty and Accari playing up in the line up for a few shifts every game to keep the other team honest.

We don't have an energy line, we don't have a bang and crash line, we don't have a shutdown line, we have a few cream puff lines, a cloud line. Last time I looked up the definition of the word sandpaper, a synonym was the word abrasive, have we been abrasive since March 1st? I truly don't see how this team plays any different today vs pre TDL. We are not better defensively, we are not harder to play against, we don't score more, we don't play a different style, new boss is the same as the old boss.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Fire Keefe three games before the playoffs and we can ride the "new coach hype train" into the second round and beyond.

Worked for NJ a few years ago... I'm all for a new voice behind that bench, hey lets be the first team to hire a chick... cant possibly be worse that piece of dry toast behind the bench now.

• Haha
Reactions: TMLife17

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
11/7 is just load management and an opportunity to try different things. We are getting to the point where the margin to lose home ice is growing smaller and that any negative repercussions from 11/7 won’t affect it drastically. We aren’t taking out a top 6 player, or running an 3rd string goalie. Errors from running 7 defensemen are narrowed to a goal here and there. Not long losing streaks.

I think Keefe is using this time to reduce toi of the older players without taking them out of their reps, try different combinations, see how players respond up and down the lineup. Seeing how depth D gel with the main D core. It’s like bonus training camp. I’m fine with it.

Will he use it in the playoffs? I doubt it, by then he’ll have a good idea of who should be in the six.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I find the 7-11 lineups confusing, but then, maybe the Oilers and Lightning find them confusing too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad