Pre-Game Talk: Toronto VS Edmonton (saturday game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
The Leafs used 11-7 against Calgary and Vancouver. They were 1-1 not 2-0.

As for Marner’s ice time. He has played 10 games this year where his TOI is 24 minutes or more including 4 games where his TOI was higher than the NJ game, His highest TOI this year is 28:05. He’s played 25 games with a TOI of 22 minutes or more. I suspect Marner’s ice time is heavily dependent on the number of power plays both for and against the team.
Good points with Marner.

Once Leafs hopefully lock up home ice I think we may see a few of them rested near the end of the season too. At least that would be ideal.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I would say this is a game where the boys need a response for the last game they played against the Oilers. While it is important to adjudicate the efforts of all players, I just can't understand what Keefe's priorities are. It is a given that the top dogs are going to be taxed due to the 11/7 lineup. Beyond that, they are putting chains on M&M by putting Kerfoot on that line. If the team loses, he will share the blame with M&M even though they both will have to have an extraordinary effort carrying Willy Mays Hayes on their back. If they win, he will justify his love affair for that plug who forgot that the puck needs to go in the net. This is all about making Kerfoot look good and not helping his team win.

like i said before man... both dubas/keefe know what they are doing.... kerfoot's family is billionaires. both keefe and dubas are setting up their futures by being in good books of kerfoot ;)

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
We were 0-2 on the road with 11/7. It’s not like it worked or something. Give Gio a night off here and there, that’s load management, not making everyone play with different pairings and cause confusion.

Also he played Marner 26 minutes last game, which is bullshit.
Keefe also knew the Leafs werent playing again for 4 days. Lots of time to rest

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Ya he played him 24 minutes on a back to back so there goes that theory.
Marner has played 24 minutes or more 10 times this year (about 16% of games). In another 15 games, he played 22-24 minutes. So, in 25 games (40%), he’s played 22 minutes or more.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
People do realize that it doesn't take a month and a half to recover from playing 26 minutes, right?

So much panic over literally nothing.

Reactions: 3blizzard4

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Like I have in numerous cases written down here and provided the evidense...... simmonds is the right hand of tavares. Together they still lead. Even though simmy doesnt play that often anymore. It doesnt matter.
Simmonds and tavvy (together) invite other players to the cabin. Where they get together and handle bidness. Go through the season. Thats key

Where was simmonds when tavares played his 1000th game? It was tavares, who wanted his right man to be there right by side him. And simmonds played.

Simmy brings that talk and leadness. Now he will even protect tavvy. Errrrhthan works. And simmonds is there. Cause tavares wants him to be.
JT likes playing with Simmonds because it means he's not the slowest skater on the ice. :sarcasm:

• Love
Reactions: Nhlpowerweek

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Marner played 26 mins the other night. We need Mitch in the playoffs with gas left in the tank though

but do all have "respect in handshakes line"? ;)

:laugh:
Respect in in the handshake line is an integral part of the game. Though teams should know they are in the winning game and not the respect game. Respect is always a good thing though.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
1678554329193.gif

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Good points with Marner.

Once Leafs hopefully lock up home ice I think we may see a few of them rested near the end of the season too. At least that would be ideal.
Edmonton beat reporter on 1050 yesterday said the debate isn’t McJesus Matthews anymore, it’s Hyman Matthews. Ouch. I guess have your fun, you live in Edmonton.
Mathew’s not in the same league as McDavid.Unfortunately :(
Edmonton based Leaf loyalist (50 years)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I want the new Dmen to play, why isn't Keefe using them? Why is Holl playing? 11-7 is ridiculous

But you wanted the new Dmen to play

No play the kids

??huh

Oh OK you just don't want Holl playing:nod:

11-7 if one Dman is struggling you reduce his minutes, whether its Holl, McCabe, Brodie, Morgs or Timothy you have that option and you still get to see the new guys.

Liljegren, whom I'm a fan of and see him having a solid career, was hurt only a few weeks back and they had to sit with what they called an LBI. Maybe that hip, knee, ankle, broken toe, bruised heel, or whatever

is still botherIng him

Is liable to further injury until healed

Or some other stuff with an injury the Leafs don't have to inform anybody about, but do have a responsibility to make sure a valuable commodity such as this player recovers fully so he is available when they need him most.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Rielly + Gust against McDavid surely has to have you all seeing how big of a fraud Keefe is, right?

He just loves to play to the benefit of the other team, it's insane.

Bunting + Tavares + Simmonds... Is this shit just from a hat?

Rielly doesn't have someone that will carry him. There will be no 60 minute effort.
Watched Kypper and Bourne yesterday I guess?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
What is the priority for the leafs right now? Is it winning games or is it figuring out the best combinations of forwards and defensemen. The Leafs clearly want to finish above Tampa Bay for home ice advantage in the playoffs, but right now they have a 5 point lead and until there is a serious threat to them losing that lead, I think the priority is going to be on the combinations. So why not try out unusual combos like Gustafssson and Rielly? Also, with 7D, it’s always possible that they are looking at that combo for situations where they have an o-zone start and need a goal, Otherwise they may both be playing with other partners.
Hey what the? Just slow down there Mister this sounds suspiciously like common sense, you just stop that, stop that this minute, do you hear me?

• Haha
Reactions: rojac

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
statistically speaking this season the beat reporter aint that far off

Hyman: 65 games 72 points
Matthews: 57 games 62 points

I guess either Oilers know how to use Hyman correctly; or McDavid is just so freakin awesome that he even got Hyman to produce where Matthews/Marner/Nylander couldn't :dunno:

Why did Hyman only get 54 points with McDavid last year?

Maybe going from 5 PP points in 24 minutes a year of PP time to pacing for 30 PP points in ~300 PP minutes by the end of the year has something to do with it?

Reactions: PromisedLand
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad