Series Talk: Toronto vs Boston - Round #1

How will the first round of the playoffs go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I get where you're coming from but I'm not so sure...

While we have 6 less points this year, we have played a much better possession game at 5 on 5 and those 6 points are basically the shootout differential from last season. Over the past couple of months, our shooting % and sv% have been brutal too.

We're the same team, plus muzzin and tavares... on top of that our youth has progressed another year and most of them have had career seasons. Also, it looks like were starting to get proper usage from our players from Babcock recently.

Boston was red hot in the 2nd half last year and outside of the 18 game streak, they've been pretty hot and cold as well... they're going to finish with a few less points too. I'm actually feeling pretty positive about this series.

I like your points, and good positive thinking.

I can support these points :thumbu:

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Thinking about this a bit... I’d love it if Babcock played 11F and 7D against Boston, benching Gauthier and giving his minutes to Tavares, Matthews, and Kadri. Given how shaky Gardiner’s health is and how old Hainsey is, we could dress Rielly, Hainsey, Gardiner, Muzzin, Zaitsev, Dermott, and Rosen and go from there. Keep Hainsey fresh for the PK and the rest of the stable helps move the puck. I’d really be down for this.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Leafs in 6 or 7.

Our centre depth is much better than what we had last year, especially when Kadri was out 3 suspended. Bruins enjoyed Plekanec and Bozak, enter Tavares and more Kadri this time around.

We took Boston to 7 with a C depth of Matthews, Plekanec, Bozak!

Give me a break with the fear of this Bruins team, Leafs fans have pumped them into this mythical beast.

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He should be fired before game 1 if that's what he goes with.

Boston's top-line ate both top-4 pairings alive. We actually got a guy who knows how to break up a cycle and disrupt zone entries, ****ing use him please.

It gets harder to judge the defense when your keeper has such a rough series but.....

Boston's top line ate Rielly/Hainey alive when they were on the ice largely due to the piss poor forward support from Pleks and company. Theres a reason he retired from hockey a few games later. I thought he had slipped but the guy was friggin done. Losing Kadri for half the series didnt help much either and Kadri wasnt even that great when he was playing. It didnt even matter that much what line they faced as they just got repeatedly hemmed in as forwards lost every board battle. The best forward line against Bostons big line was the Matthews/Nylander line which was actually broken up as they couldnt seem to score properly despite getting a ton of chances.....sounds familiar to recent events actually. With the kids a year older and Tavares instead of Pleks, I'm more optimistic for this pairing.

Gards/Zaitsev were pretty good against the top line and borderline elite at stopping the cycle that series. Their big problem was getting burned on the rush, something that also amplified bad forward support in the series. Analytically, probably the best second pairing in the first round (Zaitsev's underlying numbers were so good he led all NHL playoff Dmen with over 100 minutes in REL expected goals%) They might not even play together but they were stuck back together tonight so I'm guessing the Leafs brass probably sees the same numbers Im seeing.

Dermott/Polak were.....unexpected. Polak's toughness was a boon but I expected Dermott to make huge strides but he really got manhandled by the Bruins 3rd and 4th lines. Dermott led the entire first round in giveaways/60 and Polak wasnt that far behind either. Disappointing showing from the third pairing overall. Polak was probably more more effective than Dermott and I never thought I would have thought that before the series started....or that overall, the right side was very close to the left in terms of effectiveness.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Bruins are going to embarrass the **** out of this soft team again.
Hoping for the best, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me. I just don't understand how these guys can be so soft. Hope Boston comes out just running a our guys in the first game. If we get manhandled maybe they'll awaken some hidden rage.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
What a bad time to be on a goal-scoring drought, 6 goals in 4 games, I sure hope we can light the lamp many times in Montreal. JT with the Hatty for his 50.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Leafs in 6 or 7.

Our centre depth is much better than what he had last year, especially when Kadri was out 3 suspended. Bruins enjoyed Plekanec and Bozak, enter Tavares and more Kadri this time around.

We took Boston to 7 with a C depth of Matthews, Plekanec, Bozak!

Give me a break with the fear of this Bruins team, Leafs fans have pumped them into this mythical beast.

Last year the Leafs finished with 105 points and 7 points behind the Bruins.

This year the Leafs have 99 points and are 8 points behind the Bruins.

Playoffs are a different beast, but if the regular season is anything to go off, we've taken a step back.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Playoffs are a different beast, but if the regular season is anything to go off, we've taken a step back.

Potentially 101 points and the difference is negligible, there are only five 100 point teams in the league right now.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I think we'll get destroyed not because we can't beat Boston, but because we can't beat ANY good team the way we're playing. I think every single playoff team in the east would beat the Leafs right now except possibly whoever gets in of CBJ/MTL. Maybe just the Habs, CBJ has been better.

As much as Boston has been frustrating, it's not like they've swept us in the series we've played, and their offence is extremely dependent on that top line. They can be beaten, but not by a team that is as fragile as this one. Basically, we have to hope they flip the switch, or some event occurs which suddenly motivates the team to play to its potential.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

The 11:30 they spent head to head 5v5 that series:

Matthews/Nylander vs Pasta/Bergy/Marchand:
CF%: 58%
SCF%: 67%
HDCF: 75%
Goals 1-0

I like the nice progression of domination starting with a solid owning of possession, dominating scoring chance differentials and then ending with the only score while completely shutting Bostons big line down.

Reactions: willmma

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
If I am playing for money, I am betting against the Leafs every day and twice on Sunday in this series.

I don't know how you could put money on us lol
By looking at the underlying stats.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Why on earth does the media feel the need to prop up Boston like it’s some mythical beast? They’re not that special.

Toronto can take the series.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'd probably peg them as the favourites going into the series, but the Bruins have taken a step back as well.

Currently one point less of one for Boston compared to Toronto, as they are five points off last season's final total to Toronto's six, but that's nonetheless still also a step back.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
While I think the Leafs certainly have the talent to take the series, the way they have been playing to end the season doesn't inspire confidence.

If they keep playing like this, shit's gunna get embarassin' y'all.

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Fwiw ... nothing!

I think we're going to show up.

Will our speed, offense & Andy be enough vs the B's intensity, forecheck & cycling?
(don't think we're over-rating them - they're good)

Honestly dunno, but hopefully we can squeak out a close series.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011

Last year they were also one of the healthiest teams in the league aside from Matthews missing 20 games AND had a competent backup goalie.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We've been playing harder for the most part as of late. Not sure if it will be enough but if that sense of urgency carries over into the playoffs we have a shot.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
results are dissappointing this year, but I just can't help but be happy by the way we've played for the past near month or so.

they're finally playing the right way.

can't help but feel good about their chances heading into the playoffs. the puck will start going in the net for them sooner or later.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I hate hoping and praying. I'd rather know. Right now Babs does not know. Dubie does not know. We are in a bad position where it all rests of Freddy. If Freddy is great we can win. If Freddy plays like last year we are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia