Series Talk: Toronto vs Boston - Round #1 - PGDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItalianLeaf

Nov 2, 2006
Does a single person actually believe the Leafs won't get starched in this series?

Leafs are a very mediocre team. They are only 3 points up on the 13th place team in the league (Columbus).

I see this series going 5 games, at most. Not only is Boston clearly the better team, they were built to shut down and dominate soft teams like the Leafs (which we've seen his season).

Nothing magical is going to happen in the playoffs. The Leafs will still lose 3 out of every 4 games vs. Boston, which is why I see this series going 5 games. Leafs could win 1 game, but that's it.
Does a single person actually believe the Leafs won't get starched in this series?

Leafs are a very mediocre team. They are only 3 points up on the 13th place team in the league (Columbus).

I see this series going 5 games, at most. Not only is Boston clearly the better team, they were built to shut down and dominate soft teams like the Leafs (which we've seen his season).

Nothing magical is going to happen in the playoffs. The Leafs will still lose 3 out of every 4 games vs. Boston, which is why I see this series going 5 games. Leafs could win 1 game, but that's it.

Finally, a realist is present!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

BOS: #3pts%, #3row, #3gdiff, #8scf%
TOR: #6pts%, #4row, #4gdiff, #6scf%

both teams are very very good, neither team is close to mediocre.

should be a beauty of a series.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't fear Boston.

I fear Babcock getting in his own way.

I don't think there's much to separate the 2 teams. While I think Boston are better built for sustained playoff success, the Leafs offense can be such a lightning rod, and is completely capable of blowing things up

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the funny thing is that, unlike the fans and media, I'm pretty certain the team is feeling really good about where their game is at right now. they've been improving all year, though that's been clouded by the vagaries of goaltending and the PP.

1st 27gms: 50.2cf% (#15), 50.6scf% (#17), 10.6ppg/60 (#3), 92.3sv% (#1),
2nd 27gms: 53.5cf% (#6), 54.4scf% (#5), 4.1ppg/60 (#28), 90.4sv% (#15)
3rd 27gms: 52.4cf% (#9), 54.5scf% (#3), 8.7ppg/60 (#6), 89.9sv% (#24)

Our "hot start" wasn't actually a product of playing well, but of red hot goaltending and power play.

We saw our play improve dramatically in the middle section, but the PP went ice cold and the goaltending was mediocre.

We maintained that improved play in this last 3rd, and our PP bounced back as well....but the goaltending fell apart.

Overall we should be pretty dang confident in how the team is playing as a whole right now - and I'm pretty sure the players and coaches are.

The worry right now is goaltending, because that's really sabotaged us down the stretch here....but we even have good news on that front, as Freddy has looked like Freddy again the past couple games. One more comfortable performance from Freddy tonight and I'll be pretty damn pumped heading into the series.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Toronto's Team Roster
Johnsson Matthews. Nylander
Hyman. Tavares. Marner
Marleau Kadri. Kapanen
Ennis Gauthier. Brown
Moore

Rielly.Gardiner
Muzzin. Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Holl Rosen

Anderson

Bostons Team Roster

Marchand -Bergeron- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -Krejci- Senyshyn
Johansson -Coyle- kuhlamn
Blidh -Frederic- Backes

Acciari S. Kuraly D. Heinen

Chara - McAvoy
Grzelcyk -Clifton
Moore- krug

Lauzon S. Kampfer Carlo

Rask

If we shut down the top line of Boston we can win this series quickly.

Guessed at Bostons lineup ...please advise to make it more accurate

Likely Bruins lineup is the following:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Debrusk - Krejci - Kuhlman
Heinen - Coyle - Johannson
Wagner - Acciari - Backes
Nordstrom

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Grzelcyk - Miller
Clifton

Rask
Halak

Sean Kuraly has been their 4C for the majority of the year, but he is out with a wrist injury he sustained blocking a shot. Potential to be back for latter half of first round, but most likely out.

John Moore has been their 7th D when the lineup is healthy. He's out with an upper body injury (arm/shoulder) and is week to week.

Connor Clifton is their 7th D right now.

Joakim Nordstrom should be their 13th F, but possibly plays in place of Kuhlman. This would bump Johansson up to Krejcis wing, Backes up to Coyle's wing, and he'd slot onto the 4th line.

Hope this helps. Cheers to a good series guys and gals.

Reactions: Ladyfan

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
REALLY wanna beat Boston, hate the Bruins, but my optimism is very low. The Leafs have been playing really poor hockey for awhile now, the Bruins are the #2 team in the east, and they have a huge edge on us in terms of both mental and physical toughness.

I think they’re strong favourites in this series, and we’ll need plenty of help from the hockey gods to win it.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
REALLY wanna beat Boston, hate the Bruins, but my optimism is very low. The Leafs have been playing really poor hockey for awhile now, the Bruins are the #2 team in the east, and they have a huge edge on us in terms of both mental and physical toughness.

I think they’re strong favourites in this series, and we’ll need plenty of help from the hockey gods to win it.

I think we're supposed to be pretty close, though. I don't think that Boston should have such a huge advantage on us.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
These last few games have made me feel much better. The Give a F meter was moving, and I hope to see a very motivated and hungry team Thursday.

You don’t get to be that good without a competitive drive inside of you.

They have to prove it to me man.

I would be shocked at anything other then a 4 game sweep for Boston.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Boston didn't even dress Bergeron or Marchand so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the results.. Bruins didn't take this game seriously, more like resting players to get ready for Leafs.

Wish we did that. This was a nothing game, should have just packed it in. If Freddy wanted to play fine, but a good amount of our skaters should have taken the game off.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think that game 1 is THE game that will tell us a lot about this team. Forget about the past 82 games. If they show up, and actually play well then maybe we have some hope that they can win. If they get blown out again, then forget about it, it's done.
That I agree with. It all comes down to Game 1. Let's see what team shows up for that game. They can't just walk in there and get blown out again. The regular season is done. Time to step up for the games that matter. Really hope we see some drive and desperation. Set a positive tone.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I think it's good we are going in as bigger under dogs than we should be. I find when you expect something as a leaf fan, it doesn't happen..maybe this is the key?

Also the season matters...NOT. I'm hoping it resets, Kadri and Nylander. It was nice tonight the Kap got one and Nylander...both needed that boost.

My actual biggest fear is an injury, mostly if its Andersen (knocks on wood). But Matty got hit hard game 1 awkwardly and definitely was hurt the rest of the series. Kadri dumb dumb got suspended, which this ur would not affect us as much because we have JT (who has another gear in the playoffs).

I've watched Boston a lot lately, they aren't that great. They have 1 big line, 2nd line is good and then it falls off huge. It's going to come down to this;

Freddy vs Rask
Leafs somewhat at least control that Marchand line
Discipline
Health
Puck luck

Down fall again last time was game 7 Freddy put up a stinker, and so did Gardiner..that tying and go ahead goal were terrible. A ton of Bostons wins were by good bounces, rebounds on the tape, puck hitting this that goes to them open net. Tide turned a bit we tied the series.

There so many variables, and debates you can go either way. On paper (players) we have better depth, but less experience. I agree the first 5 to 7min we gotta take out the crowd, Freddy will have to be his best l, and with a bit of luck maybe we score on a breakaway or 2 or 1 with Boston pushing to hard offensively and we go up.

Anyway..are you IN? I'm sick of people saying bad things, it's a downer..enjoy it we stunk forever, and the future is now. It would hurt huge to lose to them again but think happy thoughts

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
TOR w/Fred: 110pt pace (.917)
BOS w/Rask: 108pt pace (.912)
BOS w/Halak: 106pt pace (.922)
TOR w/Bckup: 75pt pace (.904)

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Have you watched the mast 2 months though?

Doesn't mean anything. Remember we were 8th played Washington and went 6? Youngest team in NHL took Bruins 7, were down 3-1 took Bruins to 7..and all that with a huge piece we have now..JT.

Last year hurt more because Freddy stole us 2 games in a row and game 7 he and Jake were terrible.

If we play like we played Tampa (except the one big loss) we win the series. In fact Vase stole 2 of those games for the lightning. And I'll be happy if its Rask because Halak played the leads more this season and we couldn't score..

Anyway best thing is to wipe memory clean..its a new season, and take it game by game

Reactions: shortfuze

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
We got so much softer on the boards. and that's why Boston will clean our clock. We won't be able to stop their cycle and they'll eat us alive.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
TOR w/Fred: 110pt pace (.917)
BOS w/Rask: 108pt pace (.912)
BOS w/Halak: 106pt pace (.922)
TOR w/Bckup: 75pt pace (.904)

Pace doesn’t matter. 100 points in the 82 games they played. Looks like it’ll be tied for 10th in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad