Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Im not giving my money to NYT.

Doubt I will either. I do like The Athletic though... as an independent. I guess my biggest wonder is do any of the writers leave because of this; a lot of them left to get away from 'big media'... Does the NY Times have a sports department (or staff) now? Will they get rolled together (one way or the other). Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm starting to find him working his way into the Pierre Mcguire Hall of Fame. Perhaps his bold prediction last year: "MTL won't even win a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs" did it for me. He talks a lot, but he really doesn't say whole lot.

The only thing Button and Pierre are actually good at is knowing the background of Junior players so I don't have to look up everyone.

Reactions: OddyOh

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Doubt I will either. I do like The Athletic though... as an independent. I guess my biggest wonder is do any of the writers leave because of this; a lot of them left to get away from 'big media'... Does the NY Times have a sports department (or staff) now? Will they get rolled together (one way or the other). Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

How many leave will depend on how many are willing to take the cut in income that eventually results from this.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It's official:

Everyone has an issue with some media personality or another.

Even Bobby Mac isn't safe.

The media in general sucks these days. Gone are the days when reporters would actually report and personalities weren't afraid to say what was on their mind, with the fear that they'll get reprimanded with the slightest off-the-cuff comment. Everything is so cookie-cutter corporate chatter these days it's pretty much robotic to listen to.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The media in general sucks these days. Gone are the days when reporters would actually report and personalities weren't afraid to say what was on their mind, with the fear that they'll get reprimanded with the slightest off-the-cuff comment. Everything is so cookie-cutter corporate chatter these days it's pretty much robotic to listen to.

I don't agree. I think you are describing Friedman, Johnston, Marek, and maybe Dreger.

Oh I forgot to mention the very worst: Ron Maclean

Edit - agreed though. That safe media style is the worst.

Reactions: ultra63

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Dreger's pants get tight anytime he gets a chance to talk about a Leaf player headed to UFA. His head almost exploded last night when the host asked a question about Jack Campbell and Lebrun jumped in before Dreger.

He's definitely walking around with some blue balls after that.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Dreger's pants get tight anytime he gets a chance to talk about a Leaf player headed to UFA. His head almost exploded last night when the host asked a question about Jack Campbell and Lebrun jumped in before Dreger.

He's definitely walking around with some blue balls after that.

Dreger’s been trying to trade Nylander since the leafs drafted him.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Hockey media in Canada I think would be more accurate. More specifically the Rogers National Hockey Broadcasting. In the states TNT already has their hockey coverage analysts down with guys like Bissonnette and Lundqvist on the panel, it's similar to their NBA guys. TSN has gotten worse over the years with their mainline analysts but at least OverDrive guys can air their opinions without being too cookie-cutter.

When i hit "unsubscribe" on Athletic, it gave me an option to stay for a discounted price.

I just re-subscribed discounted. They wanted me to pay $9.99 a month and when I went to unsubscribe they dramatically reduced the price. Swear to God if this acquisition f***s with what I'm paying I'll lose it.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Dreger was adamant that the Leafs would need to ADD to Nylander to get Pesce from the Canes.

He was also big on the Leafs being able to trade Nylander if they had won the 'Jimmy Vesey Sweepstakes'.

He's a clown. It's crazy there are people who still take him seriously as a top insider. His reputation took a big hit when he decided to shill himself for Paul Marner during contract negotiations, the whole fiasco was cringe on Dreger's end.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Hockey Media members are like this. & I get why they are. Hockey fans bitch and complain like no other. Media member makes a comment about a team or a player, hockey fans lose their shit. Hockey media member says a player is being shopped, fans flock to Twitter to discredit said hockey media member because they don’t like thatZ No other major sports fan group talks as much shit about their media personalities than hockey fans. But I think that’s just hockey culture in general.

other sports really embrace and engage well with members of their media even if they disagree sometimes and you just don’t see that in hockey. It’s quite sad

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Just wanted to say something and wonder what the response here is.

The commercials/ads that the NHL are putting out for equality and racism.. they're great and all but I don't agree with one thing.....

Theres a part in which a guy who transitioned into a girl is playing in a women's league and it's meant to be accepting to trans gender people into any league they claim to their chosen gender...

I am not transphobic in the slightest but I absolutely do not agree with a born male playing in a women's hockey League, this has been discussed the with trans women fighting on boxing/MMA.. I don't think it's fair for someone who will have a genetic advantage over other women in that league and puts the women at risk in a physical sport. She(he) with training will still be faster and stronger and take a roster spot away from a women who is also deserving but doesn't have the genetic advantage she(he) does.

I know it's probably still fresh to talk about but in this case I don't agree with that. In a physical sport you should play in their born genders league.

I was wondering if anybody else had a take on this.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Just wanted to say something and wonder what the response here is.

The commercials/ads that the NHL are putting out for equality and racism.. they're great and all but I don't agree with one thing.....

Theres a part in which a guy who transitioned into a girl is playing in a women's league and it's meant to be accepting to trans gender people into any league they claim to their chosen gender...

I am not transphobic in the slightest but I absolutely do not agree with a born male playing in a women's hockey League, this has been discussed the with trans women fighting on boxing/MMA.. I don't think it's fair for someone who will have a genetic advantage over other women in that league and puts the women at risk in a physical sport. She(he) with training will still be faster and stronger and take a roster spot away from a women who is also deserving but doesn't have the genetic advantage she(he) does.

I know it's probably still fresh to talk about but in this case I don't agree with that. In a physical sport you should play in their born genders league.

I was wondering if anybody else had a take on this.

Not that it matters much I guess, but I fully agree. We are seeing an issue with this in womens swimming... cannot remember where this was but essentially a swimmer who transitioned from guy to girl is dominating the womens swimming, setting records and essentially ruining the sport. I am not sure how the sport governing bodies are going to handle this, but I am confident in saying that a person who grew up as a guy and transitions to a girl and who has played hockey their whole lives at a high level would dominate. For example, I think the Womens National team plays the Jr A teams from out west regularly and lose regularly (by large scores); that is the level of player I am talking about being able to step into the womens game and 'dominate'. I have played against girls who played college level and they walked about us average joes (think like competitive A or AA level) without breaking a sweat, so I know how good they are... I still say it would be an unfair advantage at the competitive levels.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Not that it matters much I guess, but I fully agree. We are seeing an issue with this in womens swimming... cannot remember where this was but essentially a swimmer who transitioned from guy to girl is dominating the womens swimming, setting records and essentially ruining the sport. I am not sure how the sport governing bodies are going to handle this, but I am confident in saying that a person who grew up as a guy and transitions to a girl and who has played hockey their whole lives at a high level would dominate. For example, I think the Womens National team plays the Jr A teams from out west regularly and lose regularly (by large scores); that is the level of player I am talking about being able to step into the womens game and 'dominate'. I have played against girls who played college level and they walked about us average joes (think like competitive A or AA level) without breaking a sweat, so I know how good they are... I still say it would be an unfair advantage at the competitive levels.
Yea, 100% in the time of cancel culture going against this might stir push back, but in the end of the day I know I'm right on this one.. we have different leagues for a reason and if you feel you want to transition to a female then that's fine but you have to play in a men's league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad