Rumor: Toronto One Of The Teams Erik Karlsson Has Spoken To

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Neither advocating for or against the idea if adding him, but Karlsson is NOT a bad defensive player contrary to popular belief

Reactions: authentic

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Tre didn't offer the contract, why should he honor it if he thinks his team is better without Rielly? But yes if it makes the team better.

He has to Honor it because that's literally what a NMC is, it means Rielly is the boss.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
He has to Honor it because that's literally what a NMC is, it means Rielly is the boss.

It means nothing. TB didnt honor McDonnaughs contract. It's no different than a player signing a multiyear contract and then gets bought out. There is no contract that is bullet proof.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
McDonnaugh didn't happen? TB didn't do some shady stuff to get him to waif his NTC?

They were going to put him on waivers, and had a deal in place with Columbus to claim him.

This cannot happen with Rielly. NMC means he can't be waived.

And do you think that TB isn't paying the price for what they did? They lost to the worst team in NHL history in round 1 according to some.

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It means nothing. TB didnt honor McDonnaughs contract. It's no different than a player signing a multiyear contract and then gets bought out. There is no contract that is bullet proof.
McDonough had a NTC, not a NMC, those aren't the same.

Tampa was able to threaten McDonough with waivers which would have given him no control over where he went.

Can't do that with Rielly because a no movement clause means no movement which means no waivers.

If Rielly said no there would be NOTHING Treliving could do.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Dubas can gut the Penguins for him.

Hard pass.
Maybe Shanny is playing games with Duby and pretending to be interested to drive the price up for Karlsson because he knows Duby will want the big Win by getting him instead of the Leafs. It will probably set Pitts back quite a bit...but a win is a win right Duby?

Seems incredibly stupid.

Reilly is going nowhere, as it should be.
Exactly....why are we trying to trade the ONE guy who elevates his game in the playoffs?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
NOOOOO. Hard pass.

The Leafs don’t need another offensive defencemen with little to no attention to detail to defence.

Not to mention that Karlsson is coming off a fluke season that he likely won’t replicate again.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
This reminds me of the time I was 18 and went into a BMW dealership to talk to a sales guy about a car he knew I had no earthly need for, that would probably get me into trouble, and that I couldn’t afford anyway.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Definitely but you wouldn’t need both of them.

Yes he was traded but it’s a completely different situation. Rielly = NMC
Oh I'd do it in a second but that's still dirty

Maybe Shanny is playing games with Duby and pretending to be interested to drive the price up for Karlsson because he knows Duby will want the big Win by getting him instead of the Leafs. It will probably set Pitts back quite a bit...but a win is a win right Duby?

Exactly....why are we trying to trade the ONE guy who elevates his game in the playoffs?

Two Nylander does too

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Klingberg is on a one year contract that's cheaper than even a Karlsson with full retention would be (and I can't imagine SJ is looking to retain on Karlsson's term deal in exchange for a minimal return). The upgrade in reward isn't likely to be worth the increased risk here for the Leafs.

The current situation is we're clear favourites in the Atlantic, Matthews and Nylander have one more year on their deals.

If there was ever an "all in" time, this is it.

I just don't think people appreciate the difference between Klingberg and the reigning Norris trophy winner. Klingberg is scraps, Karlsson is the current best defenseman in the world. I am more than willing to take the future risk for that kind of talent.

Reactions: Buds17

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The current situation is we're clear favourites in the Atlantic, Matthews and Nylander have one more year on their deals.

If there was ever an "all in" time, this is it.

I just don't think people appreciate the difference between Klingberg and the reigning Norris trophy winner. Klingberg is scraps, Karlsson is the current best defenseman in the world. I am more than willing to take the future risk for that kind of talent.
Did Cale Makar just vanish into thin air?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad