Rumor: Toronto One Of The Teams Erik Karlsson Has Spoken To

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Rielly is back there to stabilize things, don't worry.

They can take him + picks for free if they want probably. The cap is the issue.
They’re not giving up picks to move him, but if they did include a couple first round picks it would be worth a thought.
The term is a killer and he’ll be 36/37 IF the Leafs ever open the window.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He would be such a massive upgrade over Klingberg. Don't understand people not being interested in a retained Karlsson when we're already paying a homeless man's Karlsson $4M

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hey there bud. Your contract is too big and nobody can fit you in. If you are really all about that winning, accept a mutual contract termination and sign with a team, with whatever $ they have left. I suspect that would never happen though, I wonder why?

Can he do that (I’m sure he wouldn’t) but is that possible? I kept hearing that luongo wanted to tear up his contracf but didn’t…. Then zadina does it.

But wouldn’t that be circumvention? Couldn’t players just take front loader contracts. Mutually terminate when it goes down to 1 million? I don’t see how you can just terminate a deal…..

Otherwise I would be signing platers to front loaded deals to lower the cap than terminate.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Can he do that (I’m sure he wouldn’t) but is that possible? I kept hearing that luongo wanted to tear up his contracf but didn’t…. Then zadina does it.

But wouldn’t that be circumvention? Couldn’t players just take front loader contracts. Mutually terminate when it goes down to 1 million? I don’t see how you can just terminate a deal…..

Otherwise I would be signing platers to front loaded deals to lower the cap than terminate.

He could do that, perfectly legitimate. Can’t sign with the same team.

Tony D just did this.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Burns and Karlsson only thrived (after several so-so years together) once Burns was traded away from SJ. There is a less than zero chance Carolina will pursue Karlsson, unless Burns is going the other way.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm hoping he gets moved to Pittsburgh and Dubas has to clear some cap and we can get some Pens first round picks.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Samsonov watching Karlsson and Klingberg play defense in front of him.

confused-kid.gif

The PP would be insane though.
PP effectiveness is over rated in winning in the playoffs.
Carolina is in the running for Karlsson services, so I might be interested in a 3-way trade, where the Leafs obtain some players off the Carolina roster like Martin Necas & Brett Pesce & Seth Jarvis.
I read that Toronto isn't one of the teams that Pesce agreed to be traded to.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He would be such a massive upgrade over Klingberg. Don't understand people not being interested in a retained Karlsson when we're already paying a homeless man's Karlsson $4M
Klingberg is on a one year contract that's cheaper than even a Karlsson with full retention would be (and I can't imagine SJ is looking to retain on Karlsson's term deal in exchange for a minimal return). The upgrade in reward isn't likely to be worth the increased risk here for the Leafs.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Too much cap. SJ would have to take Murray and Muzzin and still have a little retention.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Since EK has been in the league there are many teams that have gone to SCF and won the cups; he was not on any one of them.

A very hard pass on Karlsson.

Not wasting any futures on him.

The primadonna attitude is surreal though eh? "I want the most money, and now that I have guaranteed money, trade me to the team to win the cup"

Players that ask for most money and then are not capable of taking their team forward should not be sorted after IMO

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Leafs can make it work with double retention and trading Brodie. Not sure what that would cost though. If it’s cheap I wouldn’t be opposed to it

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Burns and Karlsson only thrived (after several so-so years together) once Burns was traded away from SJ. There is a less than zero chance Carolina will pursue Karlsson, unless Burns is going the other way.

Exactly I mentioned that a while ago. I could see Burns being traded back to SJ for Karlsson. Burns loved it in SJ, I know he’s loved in Carolina too but it’s the only thing that makes swnse

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad