Proposal: Toronto - Nashville

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Robertson
for
Tomasino

Robertson is a scoring machine that will bring goals to Nashville. Tomasino brings a good all around game and should be able to play all up and down lineup.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, not a chance in hell. Tomasino is our best forward prospect not on the roster AND our only current hope for a future that doesn't require clapping our hands and believing Duchene and/or Johansen can be #1Cs again someday. Unless you can supply us with a different fix for that particular need, he's not going anywhere.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
Robertson
for
Tomasino

Robertson is a scoring machine that will bring goals to Nashville. Tomasino brings a good all around game and should be able to play all up and down lineup.
Seems pretty fairly even, I’d say each team just keep their good prospects, both have fairly close numbers tomasinos being slightly better, the only way I see moves being made like this is if a one team needed a forward and one needed a defensive prospect

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Yeah, not a chance in hell. Tomasino is our best forward prospect not on the roster AND our only current hope for a future that doesn't require clapping our hands and believing Duchene and/or Johansen can be #1Cs again someday. Unless you can supply us with a different fix for that particular need, he's not going anywhere.
Pretty lateral trade lol Don't need to get all pissy about it, both teams just keep their player.

Reactions: LeafChief

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Hadn't heard of Nick Robertson so I looked him up on hockeydb .... that birthdate yikes!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Take er down a notch or two.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

I guess if you view Tomasino as a center, that's fair. I view him more as a versatile 2nd line RW, with a good 2 way game. The thinking was Robertson's elite shot can help the team, as early as this season.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Seems very lateral.
from the leafs perspective they really like Nick Robertson and need a lefty more than righty winger

I think the Leafs third line needs help. If the Leafs can get Scott Laughton at a fair price, then that's what I'd go for, but as an alternative, maybe we can get Nylander to center the 3rd line and have Tomasino play RW with Tavares.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think the Leafs third line needs help. If the Leafs can get Scott Laughton at a fair price, then that's what I'd go for, but as an alternative, maybe we can get Nylander to center the 3rd line and have Tomasino play RW with Tavares.
or we could trade for an actual NHL player for his wing

Reactions: Leafs87

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
or we could trade for an actual NHL player for his wing

but..the salary cap, especially with Hyman contract coming up. I guess it could be a rental player, but I'd rather have a ELC player that could contribute right away. It's a gamble on Tomasino.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I've never seen the "all around player" ever turn out better than the scoring players.. Or at least very rarely. Usually the "all around" thing is used to justify their lower production and they end up as bottom 6 players with maybe a peak on a 2nd line somewhere.

First of all, last year both played in the OHL.

Tomasino

62 GP
40 goals
100 p

Robertson
46 GP (brackets are for a 62 game pace)
55 goals (74 goals)
86 points (115 points)

That is just a sizeable gap in production, and a literal historically good goal scoring campaign.

Then so far this year, both are PPG with their AHL teams, but it's been a small sample size for both.

Thus far, Robertson has the higher upside and more importantly the more valuable asset which is goal scoring. Teams have all around high temp guys all over, and yes ones who can score are very valuable. But nothing is more valuable than a 30 or 40 goal scorer which Robertson has realistic upside of.

Not to mention, Tomasino has been the more physically developed player and therefore had an advantage especially in the OHL. Robertson is under 5 foot 10 and was drafted at 160 pounds. He has some untapped potential once he gets a chance to pack on some muscle like Marner did and then can actually play his game in the pro's.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
but..the salary cap, especially with Hyman contract coming up. I guess it could be a rental player, but I'd rather have a ELC player that could contribute right away. It's a gamble on Tomasino.
Why wouldn't they just do that with Robertson though? Tomasino (who we are very excited about) hasn't even played a game this season for a very-depleted Nashville forward group, how's he going to make Toronto's?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tomasino is our only good center prospect. Robertson is a winger. Position-wise, we're much better off with wingers than centers.
I don't think Tomasino is a center prospect at all. He has been playing RW for quite a while at multiple levels. If he's already getting switched over to being a winger full time, I don't know why we would expect him to one day go back to center as an NHLer. That doesn't happen very often.

Anyway, I don't think a team that is happy with the progress and development of their best forward prospect ever just randomly trades them laterally for some other relatively similar quality prospect. That kind of trade just doesn't happen. Maybe if for some reason they were both struggling to make the NHL 3 or 4 years from now, something like that, then you could dream up a lateral "change of scenery" trade. But as of today, there is nothing at all that would motivate a trade.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I don't think Tomasino is a center prospect at all. He has been playing RW for quite a while at multiple levels. If he's already getting switched over to being a winger full time, I don't know why we would expect him to one day go back to center as an NHLer. That doesn't happen very often.

Anyway, I don't think a team that is happy with the progress and development of their best forward prospect ever just randomly trades them laterally for some other relatively similar quality prospect. That kind of trade just doesn't happen. Maybe if for some reason they were both struggling to make the NHL 3 or 4 years from now, something like that, then you could dream up a lateral "change of scenery" trade. But as of today, there is nothing at all that would motivate a trade.

isnt Tomasino playing right wing in the AHL right now

Whoops, I did not know Tomasino was playing RW in the AHL.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Why wouldn't they just do that with Robertson though? Tomasino (who we are very excited about) hasn't even played a game this season for a very-depleted Nashville forward group, how's he going to make Toronto's?

Robertson is a goal scorer, so it doesn't really make sense for put in him into a bottom six role. I think the original plan was to have Robertson as LW to Tavares and Nylander, but Robertson was injured at the start of the season and since Galchenyuk entered in the lineup, he has been really good in that role. So maybe we have a line of Galchenyuk- Tavares - Tomasino and shift Nylander to the third line and have more balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad