Proposal: Toronto - Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
While JVR certainly is an upgrade, Nashville has plenty of wingers. This does nothing nothing to address the 2C position while opening up a hole in the back so I'm not sure the incentive for Nashville to do this. Since it's pretty clear that they'll willing to just protect 8 in the expansion draft, I think the Preds would be better served to just let UFA play out and sign a bargain or two to bolster the offense after the initial hysteria has died down. No reason to break up that top 4 in the back just to add JVR.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Nashville keeps saying no when Oilers offers wingers for Ellis, I´m kinda sure they will say no again.
This solves nothing for Nashville, it just opens up a hole...

And yeah, the plus comes from Toronto, and it is a kinda big, Ellis costs just 2,5 mil for many years....

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Nashville keeps saying no when Oilers offers wingers for Ellis, I´m kinda sure they will say no again.

And yeah, the plus comes from Toronto, and it is a kinda big, Ellis costs just 2,5 mil for many years....

Toronto gives up a 1st line winger making 3rd line winger money, Nashville give up a 2nd line defender making 3rd line defender money. There is cap savings on both contracts. But you knew this you just didn't want to mention it as it destroys your argument.

Omac13

Sep 10, 2010
Newfoundland
James van Riemsdyk
for
Ryan Ellis
2nd Round Pick

Morgan Rielly - Ryan Ellis
Jake Gardiner - Nikita Zaitsev
Martin Marincin - Connor Carrick

Its not a bad trade, however I don't think the leafs need Ellis. I like him don't get me wrong but we have to many guys like him already.

Zaitsev and Carrick are similar
Gardiner some what Similar

I think the leafs need JVR in their top 6 more than Ellis on their back end

If the leafs are moving JVR for a D man I have to think they are looking more for someone who is bigger and plays a shut down style

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
He's a second line wing in Nashville

So what? Malkin is a 2nd line center in Pittsburgh and they couldn't be happier. JVR is a first line winger, you have to pay first line winger value to get him, even if he plays only on your second line. JVR would add incredible depth to a already really strong team.

It is ok to say Nashville passes because they do not have a need on the wing, it is just plain dumb to use that argument to tell Toronto to pay up a huge piece to move that contract when they really do not have to.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Its not a bad trade, however I don't think the leafs need Ellis. I like him don't get me wrong but we have to many guys like him already.

Zaitsev and Carrick are similar
Gardiner some what Similar

I think the leafs need JVR in their top 6 more than Ellis on their back end

If the leafs are moving JVR for a D man I have to think they are looking more for someone who is bigger and plays a shut down style

A perfect compliment to Reilly. I agree.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
TOR fans: Is Bozak a legit #2C on a contender?

Would love to add him at reasonable price say a 2nd.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
So what? Malkin is a 2nd line center in Pittsburgh and they couldn't be happier. JVR is a first line winger, you have to pay first line winger value to get him, even if he plays only on your second line. JVR would add incredible depth to a already really strong team.

It is ok to say Nashville passes because they do not have a need on the wing, it is just plain dumb to use that argument to tell Toronto to pay up a huge piece to move that contract when they really do not have to.

See my original point. Nashville is sitting pretty with Josi, Ekholm and Ellis locked up for the next three years at a combined 10.25 million cap hit. The upgrade from Colin Wilson to JVR on the 2nd line LW is not worth giving that up. The proposed trade doesn't really do anything to improve the Preds and I would argue it makes them worse since they don't have someone capable of filling the hole on the 2nd pair.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Exactly, unless defense is coming back, nope sorry no deal. We have zero defensive candidates who could even come half way to replacing Ellis. The Ellis trade deals sailed when Jones was traded. It was either Ellis or Jones. Now we are about 2-4 years out with any of our defensive prospects (most of which were drafted this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad