Toronto Maple Leafs (A2) vs Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | TOR Leads 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
One thing I don't like about hockey is when one team feels that they've been done dirty by a hit, and defend their teammates... and then there is a manpower advantage out of it.

This is extremely bad for hockey.

So Reilly hits Point (legally) and Tampa takes exception to their player getting hurt, an everyone is roughing and/or fighting... and Toronto gets a PP out of it.

So now Tampa's rage over the incident is doubled. They're mad about the HIT, and they're mad about the Power Play. And bad blood persists and lingers.

But it's also really bad for hockey because if "standing up for your teammate" gets you an EXTRA penalty, then hitting people dirty and doing dirty things is INCENTIVIZED. It makes no sense for me to be a good sportsman and AVOID hurting someone if we're going to come out even or ahead when the other team defends their teammate.

That situation needs to be Even Strength at the end of it because there was no penalty to Reilly on the play. And if Reilly had hit him dirty, it should be PP to Tampa.

(Now, look at my avatar and note that I hate both teams pretty equally. I have no dog in this fight, but the best time to point it out is when it's NOT your own team involved).
So because it wasn’t a dirty hit, no penalty to Rielly, Point gets hurt though, so Tampa should be allowed to goon it up without penalty? Is this what you are saying? Lol.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Ah, the anecdotal evidence fallacy with a side of Texas sharpshooter.

It's probably not worth arguing since you've come to your predetermined conclusion already, but you're commenting on the worst called penalty against the Leafs as a benchmark, when it's a clear outlier in the dataset - not the standard. If you set that as the benchmark, it's easy to feign outrage, but Leafs and Lightning both did much worse that were not called.

The NHL is obviously not a consistent rule enforcement, but your speculation about jersey swapping is completely baseless, and you know that at heart.

It's especially shocking to hear after some real missed calls on the Leafs last night as well.

Did you forget about the Schenn “cross check”?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
True unpopular opinion:

I like that refs manage the game, but acknowledge it's not perfect.

Leafs injured Tampa's best player, and got a powerplay out of it due to the scrum afterwards. That's a more fair end point than them ending up with a 5 on 3.

Additionally, the threshold for a call is affected by at least: a) the player committing the infraction b) the impact that a PP could have on the game c) and the impact a PP could have on a championship.

Additionally additionally, the NHL rulebook as it is written requires subjective interpretation. You cannot "call the rulebook" as people say, without first re-writing the rulebook.

When you put all these things together, of course we can find examples of incongruity between an action and a call or non-call.

NHL refs use the term manage the game all the time, and they don't see it the way fans see it. I think it's a necessary evil to maintain the integrity of the sport.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
True unpopular opinion:

I like that refs manage the game, but acknowledge it's not perfect.

Leafs injured Tampa's best player, and got a powerplay out of it due to the scrum afterwards. That's a more fair end point than them ending up with a 5 on 3.

Additionally, the threshold for a call is affected by at least: a) the player committing the infraction b) the impact that a PP could have on the game c) and the impact a PP could have on a championship.

Additionally additionally, the NHL rulebook as it is written requires subjective interpretation. You cannot "call the rulebook" as people say, without first re-writing the rulebook.

When you put all these things together, of course we can find examples of incongruity between an action and a call or non-call.

NHL refs use the term manage the game all the time, and they don't see it the way fans see it. I think it's a necessary evil to maintain the integrity of the sport.

Leafs injure Tampa’s best player is quite the reach because Brayden Point wasn’t injured and the refs reviewed the video and agreed Rielly did nothing.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Leafs injure Tampa’s best player is quite the reach because Brayden Point wasn’t injured and the refs reviewed the video and agreed Rielly did nothing.

At the time it happened and the calls were made he was injured. Best player? Maybe that's a stretch.

The point isn't that Reilly deserved some call. I don't want to just repeat myself so I'll just say read that whole post, and that's my view on why the 5 on 4 makes sense.

I said it was unpopular, and it's not just regarding this one particular play. It's how the whole reffing and game management system works that was the point of my post.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
My take won't be popular, but I honestly think only one thing should be different from how it went down.

Stamkos should get a 1 game suspension.
I might agree if I hadn't watched the slow-mo replay and saw that not one single punch landed. He attacked an unengaged player, but he didnt do anything but highlight how he and Matthews aren't fighters.

This was like the opposite of Iginla v. Lecavalier.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Strawman #2. Never said I agreed with you either.

My point is you can't pick anecdotal evidence, because I could do the same exact thing with the missed trips, early whistle on what would have been a good goal, and litany of other infractions the Leafs weren't called for last night. But it proves nothing.

I'm not going to claim victim because nobody is a victim here, as much as you want to cry foul and wallow. Watching your media, I get why Leafs fans think that way. They cherry-pick, feign outrage, and gaslight their fans. After time, their watchers start to believe it.

It's far from just Leafs fans who think this way, since the beginning of last years playoffs Tampa and Toronto play by a different set of rules. It's plain as day and seriously delusional to believe otherwise. Your guys are allowed to run and around and scuff it up after the whistle but Toronto has to be on their best behaviour.

A Stick on stick play is slashing, a forearm knudge to the waist is crosschecking, McCabe shoving the face of Perry after he snowed our goalie is a penalty. Your players actually slash, actually crosscheck and hit from behind without penalties, actually punch our players directly in the face, and on the McCabe and Lafferty penalties specifically did so directly after we got called for it but the refs ignored it while standing right there.

Maroons hit was the most dangerous play in the series and it doesn't even get a 2nd look, meanwhile Bunting got a game misconduct and 3 games, Clifford got suspended last year for a hit that was also bad but still not as bad as Maroon's, not to mention his crosscheck to the back of Giordano's neck last game while he was already kneeled on the ground and no one cared.

After that shitshow that occurred last night Tampa was given free reign to play like goons and they decided the whistles were being put away, while Toronto dared not get their sticks up or grab onto a Tampa player in fear of the inevitable. You're wasting your time here.

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina
I might agree if I hadn't watched the slow-mo replay and saw that not one single punch landed. He attacked an unengaged player, but he didnt do anything but highlight how he and Matthews aren't fighters.

This was like the opposite of Iginla v. Lecavalier.

Heh, fair enough I just thought Stamkos intent was pretty dirty and that it wouldn't be bad for him to take a hit on it. But not really a big deal.

• Haha
Reactions: DarrylshutzSydor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad