Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 5th Rd Pick (135th OA) - Nikita Grebenkin/Grebyonkin (LW)

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Every pick we made outside of the goalie has had two way play as an attribute. Seems to be a focus for the team

Reactions: uncleben

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Means very little. He is playing in an uncompetitive conference with a stacked team as a D+1.

Dime a dozen type guy who has never really worked out in the past 10 years. We are throwing a hail Mary hoping he is Mikheyev 2.0.

He might get to the KHL, but is he going to be a dominant KHL player? My money is no, and if he can't dominate the KHL, he is not coming to North America.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Means very little. He is playing in an uncompetitive conference with a stacked team as a D+1.

Dime a dozen type guy who has never really worked out in the past 10 years. We are throwing a hail Mary hoping he is Mikheyev 2.0.

He might get to the KHL, but is he going to be a dominant KHL player? My money is no, and if he can't dominate the KHL, he is not coming to North America.

I think trying to draft the next Mikheyev with a mid round pick is a worthwhile project.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Every pick we made outside of the goalie has had two way play as an attribute. Seems to be a focus for the team
It is going to be tough to win those 1-0 and 2-1 games if the goalie does not help out.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly the kid looks good, but I just don't like the Russian development path TBH. It's incredibly frustrating. Hopefully with all that's gong on over there we can convince him to take a different path and have a bit more control, although I doubt it.

Reactions: daethfromabove1979

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Gotta be a scary time for the Russian kids still over there that are getting drafted after what went on with Fedotov last week. Going to see the days of having to defect to come over to N A again is a real possibility.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm a fan of fast skating players so seems like a good choice. He's a long-term project.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not when you have practically a 0% chance of it is not.

I think they’re drafting for athletic package and upside in this case. Not sure a Russian player needs to dominate the KHL as a precondition for success either. There are plenty of dominant KHL veterans who come over and whose games don’t translate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad