Prospect Info: Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 6th Round (180th OA) C Joe Miller (USHL) 5'9 146

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I dont get pissed.
But he isnt even trying.
A 146lb forward.
Take a few CHL flyers on rough / net clearers....

You can sign rough net clearers for league minimum. Skill is hard to find and more expensive to acquire.

Reactions: Sparrowtrini

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I know this is USHS, however he did have 25 goals in 25 games and 59 points. Along with 21 points in 6 games in the playoffs.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Has anyone seen a lighter player drafted to the NHL before?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Has anyone seen a lighter player drafted to the NHL before?

I remember seeing someone who was like 130-something at one point.

Also, as someone who has had Joe Miller as a late round target since like November/December last year, I am sure he has gained weight since then. NHL is just so outdated... They are listing really outdated heights and weights from like their scouting lists from like 9 months ago.

146 is what his weight was listed at when I first added him. He's probably like 5'9"/5'10", 160 now. Not huge, but not bad for a guy who turned 18 less than a month ago (remember he is the youngest guy in the draft being born on the cutoff date).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was looking for his thread in the prospect section and didn't see one, so I decided to venture over here. Don't know if this is the right thread to discuss this guy or I should've put this in the designated prospect thread.

Been one of the more impressive players I've seen this season in the USHL. Maybe he should be because he's a draft pick and a 2020 draft eligible, but I think for a late round pick thats still good value to get a player that looks like they have NHL upside.

Good skater for his size, which means he's a very good skater, considering undersized players usually are graded tougher with their skating. The rest of his game is kind of average for a 5'8/5'9 guy, but he's not that bad defensively or exceptionally weak. Nothing I see that is majorly keeping him from being an NHL'er.

Going to Harvard next year, so he'll get further time there. I know you guys have had some success with Harvard picks. Wouldn't surprise me if in 3-4 years he makes his way onto the Leafs NHL roster after he develops some more at Harvard. I don't think he'll ever be a high-end NHL'er, but a chance to play games isn't bad for a 6th round pick.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Was looking for his thread in the prospect section and didn't see one, so I decided to venture over here. Don't know if this is the right thread to discuss this guy or I should've put this in the designated prospect thread.

Been one of the more impressive players I've seen this season in the USHL. Maybe he should be because he's a draft pick and a 2020 draft eligible, but I think for a late round pick thats still good value to get a player that looks like they have NHL upside.

Good skater for his size, which means he's a very good skater, considering undersized players usually are graded tougher with their skating. The rest of his game is kind of average for a 5'8/5'9 guy, but he's not that bad defensively or exceptionally weak. Nothing I see that is majorly keeping him from being an NHL'er.

Going to Harvard next year, so he'll get further time there. I know you guys have had some success with Harvard picks. Wouldn't surprise me if in 3-4 years he makes his way onto the Leafs NHL roster after he develops some more at Harvard. I don't think he'll ever be a high-end NHL'er, but a chance to play games isn't bad for a 6th round pick.

Is he playing with Blake and Fantilli mostly? To what degree is his production piggy backing off of them?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is he playing with Blake and Fantilli mostly? To what degree is his production piggy backing off of them?

Adam Fantilli the USHL’s leading goal-scorer as a draft-minus-one player, with his 1.39 points per game outpacing all but Jack Hughes, Auston Matthews, and Jack Eichel for his age group in the past 10 years. Fantilli could become the NHL's next great power forward.

Look for the star player and then its easy to recognize the passengers. :)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Adam Fantilli the USHL’s leading goal-scorer as a draft-minus-one player, with his 1.39 points per game outpacing all but Jack Hughes, Auston Matthews, and Jack Eichel for his age group in the past 10 years. Fantilli could become the NHL's next great power forward.

Look for the star player and then its easy to recognize the passengers. :)
So he does play with him?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It looks like Blake plays on another line, at least in the lineups.. I can't speak if that is consistent in games, or their PP setup. Fantilli and Miller do play together. I've never watched a Chicago Steel game, so no real idea, other than looking at the stats and lineups on Twitter. Fantilli hasn't played in the last three games for Chicago, Miller has 0 goals, 1 assist in his absence.

FIHmFoSWUAEVsRE

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Little Joe" is going to Harvard, so he must be a bright kid, and hopefully he picks a good field of study (like say Harvard law) and gets his degree, because his NHL aspiration are a real long shot at the very best, and realistically he knows that as the bright kid I'm giving him credit for being.

Playing a sport like Hockey in the USHL, is more about getting into a good College/University of choice and a scholarship to help pay the way to a very costly education then it is about preparing for a NHL career and late round pick in an entry draft. Being drafted may even in fact helped in his recruitment and scholarship funding. IMO

The % of players coming from the NCAA College to feed the NHL is not very big outside the high picks in entry drafts that only spend a year or 2 at best. The other ones that are real serious about pursuing hockey often transfer to the CHL in order to get in a lot more games and development and recognition.

You can be a Robbie Earl (explosive skater with NHL size) and Frozen 4 MVP leading your Wisconsin team to victory and still barely get a sniff at an NHL career. Or a Jeremy Bracco who tore up the U.S. National U18 Team program before transferring to Kitchener of the OHL from Boston College for you own development and still kiss that NHL dream goodbye.

The road is wide but the path is narrow to fulfill your NHL dream and only the best get that chance.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
"Little Joe" is going to Harvard, so he must be a bright kid, and hopefully he picks a good field of study (like say Harvard law) and gets his degree, because his NHL aspiration are a real long shot at the very best, and realistically he knows that as the bright kid I'm giving him credit for being.

Playing a sport like Hockey in the USHL, is more about getting into a good College/University of choice and a scholarship to help pay the way to a very costly education then it is about preparing for a NHL career and late round pick in an entry draft. Being drafted may even in fact helped in his recruitment and scholarship funding. IMO

The % of players coming from the NCAA College to feed the NHL is not very big outside the high picks in entry drafts that only spend a year or 2 at best. The other ones that are real serious about pursuing hockey often transfer to the CHL in order to get in a lot more games and development and recognition.

You can be a Robbie Earl (explosive skater with NHL size) and Frozen 4 MVP leading your Wisconsin team to victory and still barely get a sniff at an NHL career. Or a Jeremy Bracco who tore up the U.S. National U18 Team program before transferring to Kitchener of the OHL from Boston College for you own development and still kiss that NHL dream goodbye.

The road is wide but the path is narrow to fulfill your NHL dream and only the best get that chance.
How does a person spend this much time drafting a post and add so little value?

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
Bro, what? Nine first round draft picks in 2021 were from the USHL, 50+ in the last four years taken in the NHL draft.

The level of play in the USHL is great. The college route gives players, especially late round draft picks, a longer period to develop. Instead of going to the CHL and getting dropped, playing USHS/AAA/NAHL, going to the USHL, and then to college will likely result in a more holistic development... you know, like we keep hearing about teams botching players' careers by bringing them up too soon into the NHL.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

It changes all the time. He’s not leaching off of anyone though. I don’t know that any of the forwards are that good (currently) to make the totals of the others that much higher. They have a lot of good forwards that all do their part. Only guy whose totals I don’t think match up is Moldenhauer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad