OT: Toronto Blue Jays v3.0: MLB Free Agency

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's not wrong. Jose admires too many homeruns and does too many bat tosses, he's very much a showboat. If this were a decade ago someone like Clemens would have him eating through a straw

Eh. There's a time and a place. Baseball analysts seem to be basically in agreement that given the magnitude of the home run, it was acceptable. You do that in a game in April to give your team a 10-2 lead, and yeah, you put your head down and jog.

Can you imagine if other sports had these unwritten rules? You scored a goal with 30 seconds left to take the lead in Game 7 of a first round playoff series? Would you not expect a more exuberant than normal celebration?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Eh. There's a time and a place. Baseball analysts seem to be basically in agreement that given the magnitude of the home run, it was acceptable. You do that in a game in April to give your team a 10-2 lead, and yeah, you put your head down and jog.

Can you imagine if other sports had these unwritten rules? You scored a goal with 30 seconds left to take the lead in Game 7 of a first round playoff series? Would you not expect a more exuberant than normal celebration?
This one bugged me less than others. My point was he does it regularly

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Game 7 cup winning goal? Head down, right to the bench, only a few high fives at the bench. Drink some 'rade.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Shades of Theo Fleury's sliding goal celly vs Yakupov's.

Yeah, exactly. Matches the comparison between Bautista's bat flip last night and, say, this one:

I think the line is drawn as to whether the batter is making it personal, or if it's about genuinely celebrating a big moment for the team. Baseball people seem in general agreement that it's the latter for Bautista, which is good.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Starting pitching has been announced.

http://www.tsn.ca/blue-jays-set-alcs-rotation-estrada-gets-game-1-1.377465

Thats what I figured, I didnt expect them to start Price on short rest again.

Absolutely, I had a post earlier that I mentioned Price would be ready for the next series, but definitely not game 1.

Estrada's been great all year. KC will be sending out Edinson Volquez; their #2 after Cueto. That's a fairly good matchup. I thought Dickey would get start #2; get that timing off.

The second game favours Toronto nicely. Yordano Ventura is a good young pitcher, Bautista has brutalized him up to date; and I'm hoping that continues.

Third game will see the Stro-show go against Cueto for a pretty fun pitchers duel.

Overall, this will be a fun series to follow.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Jose is almost like Ovechkin in a sense in that he thrives on intensity and does not hide his emotion during the game. I don't mind him at all, I think his teammates feed off it. I can see how it rubs some the wrong way though, and I don't think Bautista gives a **** either if people don't like it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jose is almost like Ovechkin in a sense in that he thrives on intensity and does not hide his emotion during the game. I don't mind him at all, I think his teammates feed off it. I can see how it rubs some the wrong way though, and I don't think Bautista gives a **** either if people don't like it.

I don't like Ovechkin's showboating either.

So Jays at 530 and Flames at 6. I'm so conflicted

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't like Ovechkin's showboating either.

So Jays at 530 and Flames at 6. I'm so conflicted

I totally get it, usually I'm not a fan of showboating either, but I really believe it's gets his teammates fired up. That's the main reason I give him a pass, well that and because he plays for the Jays.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I totally get it, usually I'm not a fan of showboating either, but I really believe it's gets his teammates fired up. That's the main reason I give him a pass, well that and because he plays for the Jays.
I think the latter point is the biggest factor

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm watching the Jays for sure.

The order of pitchers Estrada, Price, Stroman, Dickey is perfect IMO.

Estrada has earned his place to start 1 and 5
Dickey is one of the best #4 guys in the league IMO, and it's no secret that a knuckle-baller can have a negative impact on the oppositions timing in the following game.
Then you get Price in Game 6 and Stroman in Game 7.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm watching the Jays for sure.

The order of pitchers Estrada, Price, Stroman, Dickey is perfect IMO.

Estrada has earned his place to start 1 and 5
Dickey is one of the best #4 guys in the league IMO, and it's no secret that a knuckle-baller can have a negative impact on the oppositions timing in the following game.
Then you get Price in Game 6 and Stroman in Game 7.

It's true that Dickey can mess up timing, but it would make more sense on that point to have him between two hard-throwers. In a perfect world, you'd be able to put him between Stroman and Price, but it's understandable that you want Stroman to be available for Game 7.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Where was all this complaining of bat flips when Big Papi was doing them like 10 years ago? Before Wednesday's bat flip from Bautista Ortiz was the bat flip king and no one said **** about him

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Where was all this complaining of bat flips when Big Papi was doing them like 10 years ago? Before Wednesday's bat flip from Bautista Ortiz was the bat flip king and no one said **** about him

Yeah, it's definitely more than just about the bat-flip. People just don't like Bautista.

I heard some jack-ass call into an MLB talk radio show this morning to whine about how he's 150 lbs. and can launch home runs, and has obvious roid rage, and for some reason is getting a free pass from the MLB while using PEDs.

What it comes down to is if he didn't scowl so much and smiled a bit more while he played, he'd be unanimously loved by everyone the way Ortiz is.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
haha I said the same thing to my Red Sox fan brother when he was complaining about it

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
apparenly bluejays.com and mlb.com lied and the game is a 6pm start and not 530

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad