OT: Toronto Blue Jays v3.0: MLB Free Agency

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
What's up with bat flipping? Is it some big deal or something? I thought it was semi-common practise for home runs, to celebrate? Why are so much people talking about Jose throwing the bat?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I should not laugh, but that is hilarious :laugh:

What's up with bat flipping? Is it some big deal or something? I thought it was semi-common practise for home runs, to celebrate? Why are so much people talking about Jose throwing the bat?
I think it was the time between the actual home run and the bat flip. Usually it's relatively in one motion, but Bautista stood there and admired his home run, then glared at the pitcher before the bat flip. If he had another at bat, they would have probably thrown at him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I did not clue in to the fact that Elvis Andrus bobbled all 3 of those Texas errors. That has to rival Bill Buckner for biggest playoff failure of all time.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I think it was just the situation around the hit, his level of enthusiasm, the slight delay and million-yard stare before he throws it.

It was like someone wrote it up that way.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
ALCS Schedule

Game 1: Fri Oct. 16 @ KC - 5:30pm
Game 2: Sat Oct. 17 @ KC - 1:30pm
Game 3: Mon Oct. 19 @ Tor - 5:00pm
Game 4: Tue Oct. 20 @ Tor - tbd
*Game 5: Wed Oct. 21 @ Tor - tbd
*Game 6: Fri Oct. 23 @ KC - tbd
*Game 7: Sat Oct. 24 @ KC - tbd

There is no word on what the Jays or Royals rotations will be like.

My best guess is:

G1 - Price v. Volquez
G2 - Estrada v. Ventura
G3 - Dickey v. Young
G4 - Stroman v. Cueto
G5 - Price v. Volquez
G6 - Estrada/Dickey v. Ventura
G7 - Stroman v. Cueto

Last edited:

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012

It was one of, if not THE, greatest bat flips of all time. And it also pissed off a bunch of babies who don't want baseball to be fun.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
upErpYi.jpg

the greatest bat flip in Blue Jays history

EE's was pretty badass too

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
That home plate Umpire should never call another playoff game absolute garbage all inning.

Aug 3, 2010
That home plate Umpire should never call another playoff game absolute garbage all inning.

Disagree strongly. He called pretty fair and under a ton of pressure. Sure, he had a couple of borderline or errors but nobody is perfect. All circumstances taken into account, I'd be very comfortable if he and his team did some of the Royals/Jays series.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I did not clue in to the fact that Elvis Andrus bobbled all 3 of those Texas errors. That has to rival Bill Buckner for biggest playoff failure of all time.

Yeah I've never laughed so hard at one player in my life. Poor guy though. And the second error wasn't his fault, it was the throw.. but still :laugh:

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Don't think I agree with this. The umpiring was basically spot on all game. The rules are what you should be mad at, if anything.

I dunno man if he calls time and stops the Jays player from attempting a throw home then allows that to be over turned that's ridiculous. To toss a Jays player after the Texas pitcher walks up and starts a scrum without tossing that pitcher is ridiculous.

And if there's a rule that states you can reach across the line of the batter's box and interfere with a throw back to the mound then yeah I have a problem with the rules as well.

CrossedBox.png

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dunno man if he calls time and stops the Jays player from attempting a throw home then allows that to be over turned that's ridiculous. To toss a Jays player after the Texas pitcher walks up and starts a scrum without tossing that pitcher is ridiculous.

And if there's a rule that states you can reach across the line of the batter's box and interfere with a throw back to the mound then yeah I have a problem with the rules as well.

CrossedBox.png
He never called time, he called it a dead ball. The Jays were standing there with their thumbs up their ***** pointing at the ball rather than even attempting to go after it. But since he made the wrong call, he reversed it to the right call. Which I hate to say was the right thing to do because Stinky would have scored easily had he not called it a dead ball anyways.

He tossed a player not on the roster for entering the field of play, it's a rule, he had to toss Buehrle.

When contact was made with Choo's hand, it was pretty much on the line for the batters box (that photo is from the left side, so the angle is incredibly misleading. When they showed a direct overhead shot his hand was on the line or just inside the box and Choo was not trying to interfere. The rule states the player has to attempt to interfere, Choo was the most startled guy in the building when the ball hit his hand.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
He never called time, he called it a dead ball. The Jays were standing there with their thumbs up their ***** pointing at the ball rather than even attempting to go after it. But since he made the wrong call, he reversed it to the right call. Which I hate to say was the right thing to do because Stinky would have scored easily had he not called it a dead ball anyways.

He tossed a player not on the roster for entering the field of play, it's a rule, he had to toss Buehrle.

When contact was made with Choo's hand, it was pretty much on the line for the batters box (that photo is from the left side, so the angle is incredibly misleading. When they showed a direct overhead shot his hand was on the line or just inside the box and Choo was not trying to interfere. The rule states the player has to attempt to interfere, Choo was the most startled guy in the building when the ball hit his hand.

Watching the Jays 3rd baseman he played that staring right at the umpire he acknowledged the dead ball call by lifting his hand in the air as he came in and when you stop players like that you cannot allow a run.

It's similar to hockey where if you blow an early whistle you've told the goalie he's now able to get up out of his position to stop and not look back at a puck at that point you can no longer count a goal scored even if it turned out you whistled a puck that was being played coming out of the corner.

Yeah I think you still toss guys if they are going to start bench clearing scrums.

And yeah I think that rule shouldn't need to rely on intentional play if you are clearly getting in the way of a ball that you should not be, that's not on the umpire that's on the MLB rules.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Except all he did to start a bench clearing scrum is say something to Edwin and pat Tulo's ass because he couldn't help himself :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Watching the Jays 3rd baseman he played that staring right at the umpire he acknowledged the dead ball call by lifting his hand in the air as he came in and when you stop players like that you cannot allow a run.

It's similar to hockey where if you blow an early whistle you've told the goalie he's now able to get up out of his position to stop and not look back at a puck at that point you can no longer count a goal scored even if it turned out you whistled a puck that was being played coming out of the corner.

Yeah I think you still toss guys if they are going to start bench clearing scrums.

And yeah I think that rule shouldn't need to rely on intentional play if you are clearly getting in the way of a ball that you should not be, that's not on the umpire that's on the MLB rules.

I have to say, right in the moment, when I thought this was going to end the Jays' season, I agreed with everything you are saying. But with a clear head, and watching those replays:

a) Donaldson was about as far from the ball as Odor was from home plate when the ump's hands actually went up, and Odor had a full head of steam. The ball was essentially like a perfect squeeze bunt with the defense not ready. Odor played out the play, while the Jays, knowing they had no chance to get him out in time, just tried to play the ump. And it worked, initially. But watching the replay, if you freeze at the moment the ump puts his hands up, you can see that they weren't going to get him out even if the ump said "live ball."

b) The correct call was made, because Choo did not have intent to block the ball. There is a lot of open air through which Martin can throw that ball, and it's his responsibility to be careful with that throw.

c) They could've tossed Dyson for either of his two incitements, but realistically they were giving guys a ton of rope all game and all series. Martin even admitted in Game 2 that if it wasn't playoffs, he would've been tossed easily for what he was saying to Carapazza because of his wacky strike zone. Gibbons looked like he should've been tossed for his level of fervour yesterday, too.

All in all, there was one game in the series that featured terrible umpiring, and the rest were all exemplary. The only thing done wrong in this game was the initial call of "dead ball," but I don't believe it had an effect.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Except all he did to start a bench clearing scrum is say something to Edwin and pat Tulo's ass because he couldn't help himself :laugh:

Well, we don't know the nature of what he said to Tulo, but apparently what he said to Edwin was that what Jose did was backyard baseball stuff.

And I say "what's wrong with that?" :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, we don't know the nature of what he said to Tulo, but apparently what he said to Edwin was that what Jose did was backyard baseball stuff.

And I say "what's wrong with that?" :laugh:
He's not wrong. Jose admires too many homeruns and does too many bat tosses, he's very much a showboat. If this were a decade ago someone like Clemens would have him eating through a straw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad