GDT: Toronto 2019 Cup Parade Tour Stop 12: Flames (5-5-1) @ Leafs (8-3-0). 5PM MT, Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Brodie pops the puck off the net right in front of the net while the ref is signalling no goal, passes the puck up, the ref blows the play dead because Toronto players stopped playing.

Absolutely disgusting show of officiating.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Probably the most stressful final 5 minutes to a regular season game ever but holy shit what a dominant performance by the Flames despite the refs trying their best to help the Leafs come back.

WOW WHAT A F****** GAME BOYS!!!!!!

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
As a Flames fan in Ontario, this game was huge for me. I finally have bragging rights. I work in Oakville pretty close to Toronto, everyone's Leaf fans. I'm on midnights. Going into work tonight in full Flames shirt, and toque.

No thanks to the refs. Almost gave the game away. Geeze.
So happy for the win.
I'll be in Buffalo tomorrow night, hope I can bring them luck.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
In all seriousness despite a few bad calls against Calgary this was as decisive a game as any this season. The Flames took it to the Leafs all game long. If not for Freddie it would have been 10-1.

Monster game for the Jankowski line who was buzzing and Money Monahan you know our third line winger. Johnny made some beautiful plays and what I really noticed was he has started making those smart plays when there is nothing there. Kudos to Johnny.

Brodie was great and Mike Smith played the best game of his season.

Looking forward to building on this win in Buffalo tomorrow night.

Here's to you Harold...... TRADE THE LOT OF THEM

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
As bad as we’ve looked in some games, We’ve also had three dominant games against Boston, Toronto and Nashville.

That's what makes the bad games all the more annoying. Even the Pitt game I thought we had a good first period, Smith just let in 2 goals and we never really recovered and then gave up in the 3rd period.

The most maddening game was the Montreal game IMO, much more than the Pitt game because we looked much worse against the Habs than the Pens even though one team blew us out and one team didn't.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Giveaways
calgary-flames.png

Flames
toronto-maple-leafs.png

Maple Leafs

There she is boys and girls when we win the giveaway battle we win games. You can see Peters has the boys looking at this stat.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
As a Flames fan in Ontario, this game was huge for me. I finally have bragging rights. I work in Oakville pretty close to Toronto, everyone's Leaf fans. I'm on midnights. Going into work tonight in full Flames shirt, and toque.

No thanks to the refs. Almost gave the game away. Geeze.
So happy for the win.
I'll be in Buffalo tomorrow night, hope I can bring them luck.

Enjoy the game. Need to get you a flames track suit, Winter Jacket, Gloves, and shoes. I like reminding Leafs fans about the great leadership Harold Ballard provided. I was a Leaf fan as a kid the he traded Williams, McDonald and Sittler.... Hello Flames

Reactions: Boomstick

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In all seriousness despite a few bad calls against Calgary this was as decisive a game as any this season. The Flames took it to the Leafs all game long. If not for Freddie it would have been 10-1.

Monster game for the Jankowski line who was buzzing and Money Monahan you know our third line winger. Johnny made some beautiful plays and what I really noticed was he has started making those smart plays when there is nothing there. Kudos to Johnny.

Brodie was great and Mike Smith played the best game of his season.

Looking forward to building on this win in Buffalo tomorrow night.

Here's to you Harold...... TRADE THE LOT OF THEM

I agree with all of this. I really noticed Brodes tonight and in a very good way. Smith seemed very solid as well. Also our top forwards badly outplayed theirs. And I hate to keep beating this drum, but Bennett is seriously going to be a monster if he keeps this up. I truly believe he has 70pt upside, if he could score. I’m not saying he’s gonna get there, but he has the tools, time will tell if he has the toolbox.

FlamesNewArena

Sep 10, 2018
reading the toronto game thread is hilarious. I don't know if any of them know anything about hockey other than their team.

Great game from the Flames. Leafs fans will blame this on not having matthews or nylander. But we should have won that game by a lot more but their goalie played well and kept them in it.

Toronto's D is so bad and their fans deserve it.

Reactions: Boomstick

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seriously I’ve watched a lot of Flyers games over the years and I think Bennett is somewhat trending like how Schenn was. 2 years before Schenn was traded, he somewhat “broke out”. He recorded 59 and 55pts, prior to that he seen as a disappointment. But a large majority of critics and fans said he was lacking in IQ and would take dumb penalties. Who does that sound like?

Again I don’t know if Benny is gonna get there, but I feel like he will at least become a 50pt player. He has these stretches where he is dominating and flashing his skill and drive, it’s impressive. The guy just can’t finish. If he had been able to capitalize on his chances this season, he would be right up there with the team lead in points.

Another guy I’m blown away by is Lindy. He might be right there with Tkachuk for being among our best players. That kid is so impressive.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Seriously I’ve watched a lot of Flyers games over the years and I think Bennett is somewhat trending like how Schenn was. 2 years before Schenn was traded, he somewhat “broke out”. He recorded 59 and 55pts, prior to that he seen as a disappointment. But a large majority of critics and fans said he was lacking in IQ and would take dumb penalties. Who does that sound like?

Sounds like Mark Messier. Or Ryan Getzlaf. Or Nazem Kadri. Or, as you alluded to, Brayden Schenn, though Bennett is a much better two-way player.

Fans will always have problems with power forward centers because their game has way too much.. everything. But you win with guys like this.

He has these stretches where he is dominating and flashing his skill and drive, it’s impressive. The guy just can’t finish.

Lack of finish isn't really a problem this year, that seems to be a holdover narrative from last year.

Ice time is the problem this year. He's limited to 5 on 5 almost exclusively and doesn't play with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, or Lindholm. It's funny though, he's been on the ice for his fair share of Flames goals, whether it's being the screen man for Valimaki's goal or the fourth touch on Hamonic's goals, but haters are always going to hate. Sam Bennett has zero secondary assists this season, but he's touched the puck on quite a few goals for. That should say it all. Points are not a stat that tell the full story.

When we trade him he will be the next Henrik Zetterberg except more physical, meanwhile we'll be wondering why we can't get anywhere with David Backes 2.0 as our #1 center.

Last edited:

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
Peters standing up to the officials, good, f them.

"They were getting hot there. They had a lot of momentum going, the refs."

"It'll be an interesting explanation to our general manager from the league. Then we'll enlighten the rest of the world on what really happened."

Nothing drives me more crazy than everyone just turning a blind eye to blatant garbage officiating. Wish I could pay Peters' fines so he could tell the truth every game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
reading the toronto game thread is hilarious. I don't know if any of them know anything about hockey other than their team.

Great game from the Flames. Leafs fans will blame this on not having matthews or nylander. But we should have won that game by a lot more but their goalie played well and kept them in it.

Toronto's D is so bad and their fans deserve it.

It's really sad.
Flames played a perfect 60 minutes, bogged down the middle, gave Toronto little. Had the puck all night. Tavares, Kadri and Marner all looked frustrated and unable to do much.

But instead, give Calgary no credit :laugh:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

I honestly wonder what the call was. Too many Leaf players out of position? There's measures in place that catch a goal while the play is continuing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad