Rumor: Torey Krug’s rights to be traded by tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Pretty sure if he was willing to give him 8 years, He'd already done it. Krug is gone probably Florida bound they do make the most sense for him.

I dont disagree, 8 years is a lonnng time.
But the line of questioning was "So what other decent cap hit can he offer him probably would need to be in the 6 x $7,500,000 range instead."

Either add more money or more term, but more term keeps the number down and likely means more money that can be spent elsewhere.

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
he is going to test free agency and would be stupid not to. bostons offer probably stays on the table. they will see how it pans out. not sure how many years he will get but over
6 in this pandemic era seems crazy. hope he returns and gets his money just not too much..hahaha

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
he is going to test free agency and would be stupid not to. bostons offer probably stays on the table. they will see how it pans out. not sure how many years he will get but over
6 in this pandemic era seems crazy. hope he returns and gets his money just not too much..hahaha

I don’t think Boston’s offer stays on the table once the free agency period starts. Bruins will be after Hall, Dadonov, etc instead of Krug.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Watch Bruins sign Torey at a decent cap hit. Donny loves the guy and Torey loves Boston.
Why does he love him ?.....Because he is a shrimpy soft ass Dman that gets run over in the playoffs.....Like Donny did. What a charmed life this guy Sweeney has had....First Bourque cover his butt for 15 years and then he worms into a GM job he never ever deserved and certainly is Brutal at.....Boy, some people just walk with Kings....

Reactions: Hookslide

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
MV5BMTM3NDU4NDA2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzcxNjY2._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Why does he love him ?.....Because he is a shrimpy soft ass Dman that gets run over in the playoffs.....Like Donny did. What a charmed life this guy Sweeney has had....First Bourque cover his butt for 15 years and then he worms into a GM job he never ever deserved and certainly is Brutal at.....Boy, some people just walk with Kings....

Love him or hate him, his entire career is defined by a combination of smarts, hard work and resilience. Here are a few stats to back this up.

-Drafted 8th round while attending St. Paul's in Concord, NH
-4 years at Harvard, where he wore the C and earned ECAC 1st All Star Team
-Upon graduating, he went on to put up 4pts in 6 playoff games with Maine in the AHL
-Followed that up with a strong season in Maine and a call-up to the B's for good
-Played over 1000 games as a Bruin - good enough for 4th overall
-2006 named Director of Player Development
-2007 named Director of Hockey Operations
-Created the first ever Bruins Development Camp, which is now standard across the NHL
-2009 named Assistant GM
-2015 named GM
-2019 Wins NHL GM of the year

Here is a personal story I will share about Sweeney. During the 2012 NHL lockout, I went to go see Bentley University play Alabama-Hunstville over at the dreadful Ryan Rink in Watertown. This was before they built the new Bentley Arena. Anyways, the rink was run down and freezing. There were maybe 30 spectators in the stands. Don Sweeney was one of them. He was scouting this kid Bret Gensler, who led NCAA hockey in points the previous year. Bentley was a weak program in a weak division, but Sweeney loves scouting and loves the rink, so he was there. Gensler didn't turn out to be much of a player.

But you know who did? Torey Krug. Connor Clifton. Noel Acciari. Frank Vatrano.

Sweeney personally scouted each of these NCAA free agents and brought them to Boston. With the exception of Vatrano, each has made an impact on the Bruins success and allowed them to remain competitive without tanking for top 10 draft picks year after year.

He has certainly made a number of questionable decisions since 2015, but overall, his body of work is impressive. If you disagree, fine, but to attribute his career to following in other people's shadows...you are way off base.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Love him or hate him, his entire career is defined by a combination of smarts, hard work and resilience. Here are a few stats to back this up.

-Upon graduating, he went on to put up 4pts in 6 playoff games with Maine in the AHL
-Followed that up with a strong season in Maine and a call-up to the B's for good
-Created the first ever Bruins Development Camp, which is now standard across the NHL
-2009 named Assistant GM
-2015 named GM

Here is a personal story I will share about Sweeney. During the 2012 NHL lockout, I went to go see Bentley University play Alabama-Hunstville over at the dreadful Ryan Rink in Watertown. This was before they built the new Bentley Arena. Anyways, the rink was run down and freezing. There were maybe 30 spectators in the stands. Don Sweeney was one of them. He was scouting this kid Bret Gensler, who led NCAA hockey in points the previous year. Bentley was a weak program in a weak division, but Sweeney loves scouting and loves the rink, so he was there. Gensler didn't turn out to be much of a player.

Sweeney personally scouted each of these NCAA free agents and brought them to Boston. With the exception of Vatrano, each has made an impact on the Bruins success and allowed them to remain competitive without tanking for top 10 draft picks year after year.

He has certainly made a number of questionable decisions since 2015, but overall, his body of work is impressive. If you disagree, fine, but to attribute his career to following in other people's shadows...you are way off base.

Sweeney gets A+ marks on college UFAs, contract negotiations and prioritizing a winning culture. A solid drafter SINCE 2015 1st round, but that will always haunt him. More miss than hit on trades. Bad in free agency. Overall, he ain’t Yzerman but you could do way way worse.

Next couple years will decide his tenure. If they can retool around Pasta and McAvoy before they hit their primes in the next couple years he will buy himself several more years in the job.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020

-2009 named Assistant GM
-2015 named GM

I take nothing away from his education and i am sure he is a wonderful human being........That said, I watched his entire career and i say he was soft, was constantly getting beat and was turned inside out more then any Dman this franchise has had in the last 45 years.....If he was not blessed with a pope like job playing with arguably the greatest all around dman ever....I dont thing he lasts 8 years......And...As a GM. If you think signing David Backes, Matt Beleskey, John Moore. the Ritchie brothers.....Getting reamed in the Hamilton deal....Passing on a Hall of fame talent like Barzal....And another first rate Talent in the same draft......Not making one impact trade in five years to help a Stanley cup nucleus Win a cup........If you think this guy has been even a decent GM, we will have to respectfully disagree.....

He has set back this franchise years...And cost us at least one cup maybe two had he had the guts to go after it. Glenn Anderson abused him in 90.....He found Connor Clifton and Noel Acciari....And you want me to be impressed.....McAvoy, Carlo and Louzan......Thats his legacy. And they were there for the taking. After that, it is what he did not, could not, would not do in order to win the Stanley Cup. And if he signs Torey Krug for 6.5 million for 6 years....It will be worse then the Backes deal. Lets see what he does in the next couple weeks.....But i am scared to think what this guy will do to put the final nail in this team.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I take nothing away from his education and i am sure he is a wonderful human being........That said, I watched his entire career and i say he was soft, was constantly getting beat and was turned inside out more then any Dman this franchise has had in the last 45 years.....If he was not blessed with a pope like job playing with arguably the greatest all around dman ever....I dont thing he lasts 8 years......And...As a GM. If you think signing David Backes, Matt Beleskey, John Moore. the Ritchie brothers.....Getting reamed in the Hamilton deal....Passing on a Hall of fame talent like Barzal....And another first rate Talent in the same draft......Not making one impact trade in five years to help a Stanley cup nucleus Win a cup........If you think this guy has been even a decent GM, we will have to respectfully disagree.....

He has set back this franchise years...And cost us at least one cup maybe two had he had the guts to go after it. Glenn Anderson abused him in 90.....He found Connor Clifton and Noel Acciari....And you want me to be impressed.....McAvoy, Carlo and Louzan......Thats his legacy. And they were there for the taking. After that, it is what he did not, could not, would not do in order to win the Stanley Cup. And if he signs Torey Krug for 6.5 million for 6 years....It will be worse then the Backes deal. Lets see what he does in the next couple weeks.....But i am scared to think what this guy will do to put the final nail in this team.

Your Sweeney takes are never not embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad