Confirmed with Link: [TOR/VAN] Schenn for 2023 3rd round pick

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
how can you possibly defend the horvat trade if you believe this?

This wasn't directed at me and it's off topic in this thread, but I suppose some or all could be true: 1) management wants to spend their cap room more efficiently; 2) they see Miller as a C; 3) they like Beau a lot; 4) they see Raty as close to being NHL; the NYI offer is by far the best value; 5) the 1st round pick is just currency to be used in a trade.

It's difficult to acquire roster players teams want to keep for the stretch drive/playoffs. An up and coming Dman or C is likely already playing a role on the team on cheap. Outside of a team like NJ that sucked for years and rose to contention, there's little chance you're getting a top prospect who is not currently on the roster in return for Horvat.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I love Schenn too but I wouldn't re-sign him this off-season. He will be looking at a 3yr deal around 2.5M to finish his career - and if Gudbranson gets what he gets you're damn right someone will pony up for Schenn.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
How many times does that happen? 1%?
Which?

How often does a player request a specific destination? More then 1%. How often does management consider this? Fewer then the player requesting a city, but still more than 1%.

How often do we get a light payment for a player? More than 1% of the time.

What are the odds the Leafs are bounced out of the playoffs in the first round? 1% of the time is really low.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Which?

How often does a player request a specific destination? More then 1%. How often does management consider this? Fewer then the player requesting a city, but still more than 1%.

What are the odds the Leafs are bounced out of the playoffs in the first round? 1% of the time is really low.
NO, what he is saying is how often does a team trade a player, then re-sign him as a UFA for the next season. And it is way more than 1% (taking numbers out of my ass), Johnny just loves to play Johnny Downer.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
NO, what he is saying is how often does a team trade a player, then re-sign him as a UFA for the next season. And it is way more than 1% (taking numbers out of my ass), Johnny just loves to play Johnny Downer.
I'm hoping it's better than 1%, but yeah...it's not common, so I'll give him that. Toronto probably ends up being signed to a minimum wage hourly rate (14$/H?) to play with the Leafs next year, along with Quick and Parise,

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Which?

How often does a player get traded as a rental and then sign back with the team that traded him as a ufa?

But you knew what I was talking about so I do T expect a reply.

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
Last season, under Bruce the record was 11th best- so not a top ten team.
playing against back up goalies
with zero pressure

so not a top ten team.

Reactions: 4th line culture

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How often does a player get traded as a rental and then sign back with the team that traded him as a ufa?

But you knew what I was talking about so I do T expect a reply.

It's not common but it requires a specific set of circumstances that just aren't in play with virtually every pending UFA that's traded :

1) Player has deep ties to the area and team and didn't want to leave.
2) The team really likes the player and basically only traded him because it was prudent to take the asset.
3) Team has the roster spot and cap space to bring the player back.

In most cases the player is ready to move on to chase a Cup with a better team, or the team is ready to move on and replace the UFA with a younger player, or both. This isn't the case with Schenn, so comparing him to the other 99% of UFA moves is kind of pointless as they aren't the same situation.

Rutherford has done this before, for the record, when he traded Joe Corvo at the 2010 deadline and then re-signed him that summer.

Reactions: Skriko

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
This is a win because we are finally moving older ufas for draft picks... which is basically the bare minimum of managing a team near the basement.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I love Schenn too but I wouldn't re-sign him this off-season. He will be looking at a 3yr deal around 2.5M to finish his career - and if Gudbranson gets what he gets you're damn right someone will pony up for Schenn.
For a reliable, physical bottom pairing D man, that can play top 4 minutes if injuries happen.(and pairs well with Hughes)..Thats not a terrible deal imo.

Thats not even mentioning the intangibles, like his leadership.

I'd rather pay Schenn 2.5 than have Dermott,Burroughs, Poolman etc.

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
For a reliable, physical bottom pairing D man, that can play top 4 minutes if injuries happen.(and pairs well with Hughes)..Thats not a terrible deal imo.

Thats not even mentioning the intangibles, like his leadership.

I'd rather pay Schenn 2.5 than have Dermott,Burroughs, Poolman etc.

Screw his leadership. We need new voices, new faces, new everything. This team sucks don't over pay a 3rd pairing dman.

Our fanbase over-rates the hell out of Schenn. Like if he wants to come back for cheap thats great I won't deny he is a good character but he also doesn't move the needle at all.

Open that roster spot for a young dman who can skate and transition well. Then use as much CAP savings and get a legit top 4 dman.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Screw his leadership. We need new voices, new faces, new everything. This team sucks don't over pay a 3rd pairing dman.

Our fanbase over-rates the hell out of Schenn. Like if he wants to come back for cheap thats great I won't deny he is a good character but he also doesn't move the needle at all.

Open that roster spot for a young dman who can skate and transition well. Then use as much CAP savings and get a legit top 4 dman.
Screw his leadership..?.....ok.

Schenn is better quality than the regular bargain bin 3rd pairing junk that we've collected..You're confusing quantity with quality.

Reliable and physical (leads the NHL in hits).

I will concede that $2.5 might be a bit rich..$2M x 2 is reasonable.

and yes..I agree that the whole Canuck D has to be revamped.

Reactions: geebster

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Schenn is better quality than the regular bargain bin 3rd pairing junk that we've collected..You're confusing quantity with quality.

All that needs to be said.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Sub 2M, 2 years term and I'd be onboard with Schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad