Confirmed with Link: [TOR/VAN] Schenn for 2023 3rd round pick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They’re not rebuilding.

Rebuilding means trading Petey and Hughes.

They’re retooling. They’ve said this since they came in. Except they are actually retooling the right way, not whatever Benning was doing for 8 years.
Retooling requires your guys to want to stick around. The more losing you do the less likely they are to stick around. Demko has 2 more years left after this before he can extend. Are you withering those years away? Petey can extend in the summer but would be unwise to do so. Should play it out and see where the team is.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Hes 33 turning 34 as an UFA.. The only reason hes playing more than 13 minutes a game is because hes on this terrible team. Hes going to get 6/7 man minutes in Toronto.

They have

Rielly
Liljegren
Giordano
Brodie
Muzzin
Timmins
Holl

ahead of him
Muzzin is done for the season and maybe permanently. McCabe is suppose to be his replacement for a defenseman who hits and is physical.

Other than hitting is Schenn better defensively these days? If he isn't good enough to be at least a regular bottom pairing guy then I'm not sure why Dubas would use a 3rd pick on him just to see him sit in the playoffs.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Muzzin is done for the season and maybe permanently. McCabe is suppose to be his replacement for a defenseman who hits and is physical.

Other than hitting is Schenn better defensively these days? If he isn't good enough to be at least a regular bottom pairing guy then I'm not sure why Dubas would use a 3rd pick on him just to see him sit in the playoffs.
Depth. Depth. Depth.

Reactions: mossey3535

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
It's really easy to say stuff with hindsight. Very very easy.
That's such a silly statement. This team has missed the playoffs since 2013-2014, excluding the COVID cup, and did not deserve the benefit of the doubt coming into this year. Almost this entire board recognized that we essentially needed Vezina calibre goaltending with optimal results from a very poor defensive core in order to be wild card calibur, with no injuries. It was very probable to miss the playoffs, and not an insane outlier to imagine a large injury after we were relatively healthy last year.

Last edited:

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I wish Schenn the best with the Maple Leafs, he is a true soldier, who wears his heart on his sleeve. An absolute warrior when he was with the Canucks, and I will definitely miss his character on the team.
I'm not ecstatic about the trade because I love Schenn, but the Canucks got good value in return.
Hopefully Schenn signs here again in the offseason.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm figuring Schenn requested Toronto. I feel we got a very light payment for what he brings.

That being said, I hope he returns here after Toronto loses in the first round.

Reactions: DekeyPete

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Fair value, bit weird as normally defensemen get above fair value at the deadline, but this year in general has been whacky with a glut of dmen becoming available. Glad Allvin got ahead of the pack here. After years of not getting anything for high calibre guys like Hamhuis, even the little things like this feel good.

Leaf's trying to gear up for a long run. They know you have to be 8 deep if you're going to go far, so you need quality guys in that 7/8 slot. I don't know if Schenn is an every day player over there, but he'll likely see some minutes come playoff time.

East is going to an absolute bloodbath. I think there's 6 teams there I'd take over any team in the West right now (unless Colorado gets healthy).

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
We can’t even get TOP 10 picks right. (Podkokzin, Virtanen, Juolevi).
This 3rd round pick has f*** all of a chance to become an NHL player with our drafting. I would have kept Schenn to keep QH and others happy. It was reported players were mad when LS was being sat out.

We are now also the softest team in the league.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This 3rd round pick has f*** all of a chance to become an NHL player with our drafting. I would have kept Schenn to keep QH and others happy. It was reported players were mad when LS was being sat out.

Just re-sign him. We don't need him down the tank stretch.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021

Only 20 something games left & gotta give this new management a shot with more draft picks.

Theres a decent chance they bring Schenn back in the offseason

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm wondering if part of the Leafs acquired Schenn is that they didn't want him to return to Tampa--their likely first round opponents.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I rather have kept Schenn and resigned him. A third round pick isin't going to get us far, I like Schenn's experience and physicality on the back end. Who's going to protect Hughes now when **** goes down.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Really thought Schenn would get a second or at least a mid-round pick and a B prospect so a late third seems like a pretty weak return but maybe the market isn’t that great now. It’s better than Bennings usual nothing and every pick has value and maybe we can find a third round gem with it.

I hope Schenn re-signs next season for another year, he’s been a great story in an otherwise down year.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I'm wondering if part of the Leafs acquired Schenn is that they didn't want him to return to Tampa--their likely first round opponents.
I’m not sure if this is a parody or not. Consistent Stanley cup (winner) and challenger worried to play against Luke Schenn???

I rather have kept Schenn and resigned him. A third round pick isin't going to get us far, I like Schenn's experience and physicality on the back end. Who's going to protect Hughes now when **** goes down.
A late 3rd. Not worth what it does to the room / players / toughness.

Only 20 something games left & gotta give this new management a shot with more draft picks.

Theres a decent chance they bring Schenn back in the offseason

0% chance. How often do you see that happen?

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Antoine Vermette is a player that went back to Arizona after being traded.

If he doesn't want to sign here thats fine. Can try & find gritty bottom pair dmen in free agency

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
How are the two events mutually exclusive?

They were a top 10 team last year under BB and added two top six forwards in Mikheyev and Kuzmenko.

Almost everyone sucked this year. We went from one of the best goaltending in the league to the worst. OEL went from a solid top 4 guy to completely unplayable. Myers has been absolutely atrocious this year. JTM has been playing with an injury and regressed. Demko was terrible and got hurt. Poolman and Pearson did not contribute at all. Canucks were so bad with Bruce we literally had to fire him and have another coaching change mid-year.

How could have anyone predicted this??

They pivoted to trade Horvat because he completely priced himself out of negotiations. Did anyone predict Horvat was going to score 50 goals 80 points???

He was supposed to be making somewhere around 6.5-7 on a long term deal… now he’s making 8.5. Unless you magically predicted this production then there’s no way we could have envisioned this.

People act like this management is supposed to have a crystal ball when they have been mostly picking the optimal choice with the information they had.

Wait WHAT?!?!?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad