Confirmed with Link: [TOR/VAN] Josh Leivo for Michael Carcone

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Oh, I don't know about that. Playing with Marner and Tavares, he might not need to be first in on the puck as they'd mostly be carrying the puck in the O-zone with possession and then start cycling which Leivo's really good at. The best thing to do IMO would have been to give it a try, then we'd know for sure.

It's not that big a deal, we have lots of forwards so losing Leivo isn't a crushing blow or anything but still, I can't help but think where we'd be at if we'd have done what many of us wanted - trade JVR before last season started and give Leivo a chance to play in his place. Had we done that, we would have pocketed a 1st round pick + whatever else for JVR and then if Leivo did have success in that role, we could have flipped him yesterday for maybe a 2nd+4th or whatever depending on just how well he did and it sure would be nice to have those picks in the cupboard. Or keep him and settle for the 1st rounder plus having Leivo in our top 6 until we can no longer afford him

They dump the puck in way more than carry it in. That is our style of play. No, it would not have hurt to try, but man, it would be hard to get any line chemistry with all the changes everyone wants to "try". Move this guy here and then that guy there. I am not without my own, "I would like to try this or that" as well, but also recognize the success we have had. Three seasons ago last place, then two seasons of playoffs with improvement every year. Most teams who have success the year after being horrible, regress the next year. We haven't, which is great.

We could have moved JVR and tried it for sure. Does it mean it would have been better, I don't know. Were we guaranteed a 1st+ for JVR? Again, I don't know. As I said, I think Leivo is a good player, just wasn't better at what he does than the other guys who play that role on the top 3 lines...so he was moved. The team is no worse off right now, so...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not much hope you win a trade when you trade a NHLer for an AHL with limited potential.

Tyler Ennis should have been the odd man out. IMO

Reactions: Lauro

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
The whining when a player is traded can be insufferable. Leipsic, Corrado, Soshnikov, etc, etc... it never ends with some people.

Could leivo do well for Canucks? Sure...

Would he have got the opportunity here? Not a chance.

Give it a rest.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Not much hope you win a trade when you trade a NHLer for an AHL with limited potential.

It was more important to get Dermott into last nights game. It was more important to get Leivo a legitimate shot. He has been a good soldier for us when most others would have been fuming in the press box. Ennis is a Babs type player. Babs is our coach. Thats it thats all.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I always thought that if he was with Marner and Tavares, he'd score a ton of goals with Tavares. His shot is just unreal. Too bad Babcock loved Hyman too much.
The Marleau signing was responsible for Leivo's demise here imo. What stings the most is I think currently, Leivo is the better player between the two.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No, it would not have hurt to try, but man, it would be hard to get any line chemistry with all the changes everyone wants to "try". Move this guy here and then that guy there.

Haha no doubt about it. Seems like every day there are dozens if not hundreds of posts about line combos. I think I've made a grand total of about 2 posts on the subject over the years as it seems pointless and the reason I did it now was as a response to the "Leivo would never have been a top 6 player for us" comments.

The whining when a player is traded can be insufferable. Leipsic, Corrado, Soshnikov, etc, etc... it never ends with some people.

Give it a rest.

We're just having a discussion here, the only one whining is you. If this discussion bothers you so much feel free to take off, the door's not locked.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The Marleau signing was responsible for Leivo's demise here imo. What stings the most is I think currently, Leivo is the better player between the two.

Agree 100% and I had exactly this thought when we signed Marleau. It's pretty funny when you think about it, I've seen a few people say that we couldn't afford Leivo next year anyway but if he was playing instead of Marleau ...

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Granted he hasn't had the greatest of opportunities, but I'm hard pressed to recall a game where I was left with the impression that Leivo really made a significant contribution to a win.

I can with Hyman, Brown, Marleau, Johnsson, and Kappanen

Good luck to him, I hope he does well in Van, but I don't anticipate losing much sleep over his departure.

Reactions: HouseofBuggins

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

Give it a rest.

Before this year, Kapanen struggled to make the team because Babcock liked guys like Martin better. Then when he did finally make the team, he was stuck on the 4th line because Babcock wanted guys like Hyman playing in the top 6.

Imagine we traded Kapanen this time last year. Wouldn't you be making those same types of comments?

With Leivo, we just potentially gave away a very cheap 30 goal scorer for free. Worst move made by Dubas so far by a big margin (this was worse than losing McBackup).

This is not in any way comparable to Sosh or Leipsic or Corrado or anything like that. Leivo is a legit winger. Babcock is an idiot for not giving him a chance with better line mates. Leivo had been carrying that 4th line all year and it was very obvious he was way too good for the 4th line.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Before this year, Kapanen struggled to make the team because Babcock liked guys like Martin better. Then when he did finally make the team, he was stuck on the 4th line because Babcock wanted guys like Hyman playing in the top 6.

Imagine we traded Kapanen this time last year. Wouldn't you be making those same types of comments?

With Leivo, we just potentially gave away a very cheap 30 goal scorer for free. Worst move made by Dubas so far by a big margin (this was worse than losing McBackup).

This is not in any way comparable to Sosh or Leipsic or Corrado or anything like that. Leivo is a legit winger. Babcock is an idiot for not giving him a chance with better line mates. Leivo had been carrying that 4th line all year and it was very obvious he was way too good for the 4th line.

Babcock has always brought young guys along slowly, making them earn their time. They would have never traded Kapanen as they knew his skill set would allow him to succeed as a top 6 forward. They never saw that in Leivo and for good reason. Way too much Babcock criticism on here, imagine we actually had a coach who wasn't good. Dubas is doing just fine so far, making the right decisions for this team now and in the future.

Reactions: diceman934

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

You do realize that Anothed two coaches did not favor Levio over others in our line up?

30 goal scorer maybe we should have traded Nylander and kept Levio as Nylander has not yet approached 30 goals in a season. Posting nonsense makes your invalid complaints worse.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Same kind of deal. People thinking he was more than he was. There is a reason Leivo was playing on the 4th line. He would never fit in this teams top 6 and for that we should be grateful. Just because he is playing top 6 on a bad team, doesn't mean he is a top 6 forward.

The reason he was on the fourth line is because Babcock loves guys like Brown and Hyman so much. Hyman plays with one of the best setup man in the League and only has 6 goals (with what 3 of them being empty net goals?). Leivo has 5 with 2nd unit pp time and 4th line minutes.

He's more of a top 6 forward than Brown and Hyman but we know Babs philosophy on the matter so Leivo takes the hit and goes to the fourth line.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Babcock hated Leivo like he hated Panik. He played them both the same. He has played all the players he doesn't like similarly. Our loss Vancouver gains.

I don't even know how any coach under the sun could not see that Leivo was doing a good job. Better than a 4th liner and consistently at that. Our 4th line is going to need a trade from what I can tell. That's what stubbornness gets you though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised that they asked Leivo to sit actually and I bet he demanded trade come to think of it. I think that must be what happened and am sure what Dubas said was true but when Babs said he would be in the box that was it.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The reason he was on the fourth line is because Babcock loves guys like Brown and Hyman so much. Hyman plays with one of the best setup man in the League and only has 6 goals (with what 3 of them being empty net goals?). Leivo has 5 with 2nd unit pp time and 4th line minutes.

He's more of a top 6 forward than Brown and Hyman but we know Babs philosophy on the matter so Leivo takes the hit and goes to the fourth line.

Leivo has better hands for sure, but Hyman is a better all around player. More speed, more tenacity, and much better defensively.

I'm not sure why Hyman is catching flack because of the Leivo trade. They are suited to different roles based on their skill set.

member 262271

This fan base doesn't seem to need an excuse to complain. Wow though when something minor happens the floodgates open! Very happy for Josh scoring in his first game and getting this opportunity.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Not a hope was he better. Did you watch last nights game pure beast mode.
I had a game last night so I missed the 3rd and OT.

The pure beast mode games have been very few and far between.

I shouldn't have said Leivo is the better player, rather, he could be. We will finally get to find out soon enough.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Babcock hated Leivo like he hated Panik. He played them both the same. He has played all the players he doesn't like similarly. Our loss Vancouver gains.

I don't even know how any coach under the sun could not see that Leivo was doing a good job. Better than a 4th liner and consistently at that. Our 4th line is going to need a trade from what I can tell. That's what stubbornness gets you though.

You mean hot garbage Panik..of course Babcock hated him, because he is a smart coach and knows talent, and Panik sucks.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I had a game last night so I missed the 3rd and OT.

The pure beast mode games have been very few and far between.

I shouldn't have said Leivo is the better player, rather, he could be. We will finally get to find out soon enough.

He is right now if you factor intensity and what he has done per game. Marleau is on the wrong side of 35. It's showing, still smart and not useless but you're not wrong in saying Marleau is where Leivo should have been this year. Problem is Marleau should not be where Leivo was and tie goes to the vet.

Reactions: Smif

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Hyman scored 15 goals last year, none on the PP, not bad at all, considered the ultra talented Nylander scored 20 playing on the same line with PP time.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Wouldve been funny if Dubas traded Hyman without telling Babcock when he signed Nylander. Wonder what Babcock would say.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
He is right now if you factor intensity and what he has done per game. Marleau is on the wrong side of 35. It's showing, still smart and not useless but you're not wrong in saying Marleau is where Leivo should have been this year. Problem is Marleau should not be where Leivo was and tie goes to the vet.
The value is hard to swallow. Josh at less than 1M compared to 6M+...ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00