Confirmed with Link: [TOR/VAN] Josh Leivo for Michael Carcone

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Imagine being Leivo, works his ass off all year for league minimum and Nylander steals his spot after taking half the year off while making 7 million.. Hockey is a business but hard to not feel the hurt, disappointment for the guy. I'd feel pretty guilty if I was in Nylander's position especially if they were friends off the ice
You dont think Nylander works his ass off?

And they are not comparable, not competing for the same role and do not have the same talent.

I mean, that is not even controversial.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'm kinda wondering now why he wasn't packaged off with something to acquire a rental for the playoffs. Imagine if we'd been able to trade him with a first round pick for a Stone or a Kovalchuk....that would've gone a long way towards helping this team's Left-Wing scoring problem.

I imagine we're going to be making a rental trade anyways at the deadline, might as well have made it now while we had an asset to add to the package rather than sending the inevitable multiple picks that will be needed to acquire the same package at the deadline.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
You dont think Nylander works his ass off?

And they are not comparable, not competing for the same role and do not have the same talent.

I mean, that is not even controversial.
Nah He was sitting in Sweden half the year... I said its business of course you had to kick someone off the team for Nylander. It had to be done but I'm bring up the human aspect that you arent understanding. Feel bad for Leivo

Reactions: Lauro

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'm kinda wondering now why he wasn't packaged off with something to acquire a rental for the playoffs. Imagine if we'd been able to trade him with a first round pick for a Stone or a Kovalchuk....that would've gone a long way towards helping this team's Left-Wing scoring problem.

I imagine we're going to be making a rental trade anyways at the deadline, might as well have made it now while we had an asset to add to the package rather than sending the inevitable multiple picks that will be needed to acquire the same package at the deadline.

probably because those teams are not ready to move those guys yet

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Nah He was sitting in Sweden half the year... I said its business of course you had to kick someone off the team for Nylander. It had to be done but I'm bring up the human aspect that you arent understanding. Feel bad for Leivo

Dont. Leivo would have been gone other way.

Reactions: AreBe

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
That was a low blow to Leivo. Franson has turtle speed. But yes he has the puck skills and shot no doubt.

I'm hyperbolizing a bit, but you get my point.

Leivo has a good portion of the tools to form an NHL toolset. But he doesn't have all of them, and it doesn't seem like he has the toolbox. At least that's what Babcock thinks.

I like him, but in the end I still think he's a middle-six winger at best.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm hyperbolizing a bit, but you get my point.

Leivo has a good portion of the tools to form an NHL toolset. But he doesn't have all of them, and it doesn't seem like he has the toolbox. At least that's what Babcock thinks.

I like him, but in the end I still think he's a middle-six winger at best.
I like him too. But in a clash with Babs I like Babs better. Leivo did not move the needle with Leafs. You pick your battles and this is one Dubas would not pick. But I do worry we will need a puck possession type guy in playoffs against a Boston or a Columbus to hold puck in opponents end for a bit. We have a quick strike team (excpet on PP). Against a Tampa or Pittsburgh it may not be needed. I would say same for a cycle breaking defense against same teams. Again we do not have that type on team right now.

Reactions: Shanty

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I had a game last night so I missed the 3rd and OT.

The pure beast mode games have been very few and far between.

I shouldn't have said Leivo is the better player, rather, he could be. We will finally get to find out soon enough.
He will never be as good. Even at 39 Marleau plays harder, is faster and passes better and is a better goal scorer.

Babcock was not the Leaf first coach who did not select Levio. Levio is a skater who struggles to keep up with the speed of the game who has a nice shot but a slow release so many of his shots get blocked.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
A player is only worth what someone will give up for him. Highly doubt anyone was offering a NHL roster player for Leivo. Besides, they traded him to open a roster spot, so taking back an NHL player makes no sense.
Someone who could play in the NHL.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The reason he was on the fourth line is because Babcock loves guys like Brown and Hyman so much. Hyman plays with one of the best setup man in the League and only has 6 goals (with what 3 of them being empty net goals?). Leivo has 5 with 2nd unit pp time and 4th line minutes.

He's more of a top 6 forward than Brown and Hyman but we know Babs philosophy on the matter so Leivo takes the hit and goes to the fourth line.
Levio played with Kadri for a while this year and squat as he was facing good players.
Brown had 20 goals in a season something Levio has not come close to. He is below average away from the puck. Brown and Hyman are better at hockey period. Why people feel the need to defend a player who is a player we will not miss and blame it on a coach who coaches to win and not to please fans

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
they needed the roster spot

pick, your probably talking mid round at best and those turn in to nhl players 10% of the time?
There were other guys to put on waivers as well. There's this guy Marincin who's already passed through them. The Goat is a hot commodity? Anyways, done now.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You do realize that Anothed two coaches did not favor Levio over others in our line up?

30 goal scorer maybe we should have traded Nylander and kept Levio as Nylander has not yet approached 30 goals in a season. Posting nonsense makes your invalid complaints worse.
I think he very well could be a 30 goal scorer.......for his entire NHL career.

Reactions: diceman934

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
There were other guys to put on waivers as well. There's this guy Marincin who's already passed through them. The Goat is a hot commodity? Anyways, done now.
D depth and center depth is far more important then winger depth. It really was between him and Ennis snd Ennis better and had more Value in a trade package come dead line time.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
D depth and center depth is far more important then winger depth. It really was between him and Ennis snd Ennis better and had more Value in a trade package come dead line time.
That assumes they get picked up, why would we think Marincin who's already cleared wouldn't again? All I'm saying is we knew Willie was coming back, this seems like a bad return for an NHL player.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That assumes they get picked up, why would we think Marincin who's already cleared wouldn't again? All I'm saying is we knew Willie was coming back, this seems like a bad return for an NHL player.
Why do you want to ignore the returns that similar players like Zykov and Scherbak got? Leafs had to move a forward anyway, whether it was Leivo or Ennis and the return would be the same

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He will never be as good. Even at 39 Marleau plays harder, is faster and passes better and is a better goal scorer.

Babcock was not the Leaf first coach who did not select Levio. Levio is a skater who struggles to keep up with the speed of the game who has a nice shot but a slow release so many of his shots get blocked.

Marleau has 7 goals @ 17min a night with PP time. Leivo has 5 goals coming from the 4th line. Old men are old men for a reason... They are old and they retire which this should be his last season if you are watching him.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Thankfully they kept the speedier Ennis! Leivo was too much of a grit guy, a 'Good Canadian kid' and not a Euro-trash mamby pmaby Ovechkin type that, thankfully, Dubas seems to favor.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Marleau has 7 goals @ 17min a night with PP time. Leivo has 5 goals coming from the 4th line. Old men are old men for a reason... They are old and they retire which this should be his last season if you are watching him.

Come on bringer of the tide, this is ridiculous.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think Leivo is a good player. I also think he has no business being on a contending team.

To be fair to him, neither do Gauthier and Ennis.

Leafs will be upgrading their forwards and getting some size and a top ~4D at the deadline.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Come on bringer of the tide, this is ridiculous.

He is 50% of what he was last year. I haven't been impressed and right now I just need to watch as Leivo gets similar quality linemates and ice. You can basically start the counter from here with both players set at 1 point each. Most of the time I see Marleau coasting and not very intense at all. Then sometimes he puts it in for a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad