Proposal: TOR - VAN - CGY Minor Swap

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Read the comment literally right above yours. There is a reason Bennett was leading the entire playoffs this year in hits by a large margin before Calgary got knocked out
Okay? You’re deflecting.

I said Virtanen is bigger and might hold more appeal to coaches because of it. You said they’re the same size. I said that’s not true, and now you’re trying to deflect the conversation to something else.

You’re a flames fan who is trying to convince us all Bennett is the most valuable piece here, but citing having a bunch of hits is not the way to do it.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
If the Canucks and Flames are going to swap reclamation projects (sorry Toronto I just don't care about Travis Dermott, and neither team seems to want him), I don't think either should really be arguing that their guy is far and away superior to the other. As unproductive as Virtanen has been (there have been games where he's shown flashes of the power forward in him), Bennett's not exactly killing it either (though he's currently on the 2nd line) but has been on the ice for far more goals against than for (as attested to by the -14-- say what you want about the demerits of +/- rating).

If we're looking at a fresh start move for both players I'd be open to the swap.

Ledge And Dairy

Okay? You’re deflecting.

I said Virtanen is bigger and might hold more appeal to coaches because of it. You said they’re the same size. I said that’s not true, and now you’re trying to deflect the conversation to something else.

You’re a flames fan who is trying to convince us all Bennett is the most valuable piece here, but citing having a bunch of hits is not the way to do it.
And you are an oilers fan trying to undermine players on your rival team.

The 2 players are the same height, one weighs more and the other has a reputation for stepping up in the playoffs. I won't telkl who is who but you tell me which of those things sounds more appealing to GM's?

Troygambletheforgot

Sep 20, 2020
We have OJ to replace Benn. Kid was playing very well and there was no reason for him to be scratched other than Benn being a vet.
Joulevi won’t be called up for the rest of the season because he is between 10-15 games before he is eligible to be picked in the expansion draft and I am pretty sure if he is left unprotected that Seattle would take him over Holtby, MacEwen, Rafferty and Virtanen.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Joulevi won’t be called up for the rest of the season because he is between 10-15 games before he is eligible to be picked in the expansion draft and I am pretty sure if he is left unprotected that Seattle would take him over Holtby, MacEwen, Rafferty and Virtanen.
Juolevi needs to be protected even if he isn’t called up.

Troygambletheforgot

Sep 20, 2020
Virtanen is like Bennett but has a lower IQ and no drive. No thanks to him, how about just remove Vancouver from the trade all together
If you put Motte in the trade but the only teams involved should be Leafs and Canucks because there is a good chance Hyman prices himself out of the Leafs cap structure this offseason and Motte could replace Hyman next season
Canucks: Canucks do this to a get badly needed young defenseman
Motte(20% retained salary)
Benn(50% salary retained)
For
Leafs: do this deal to beef for the playoffs and also if Hyman leaves as UFA they have a cheap replacement and Benn can replace Dermott in the lineup right after quarantine
Dermott
2022 conditional pick
- 5th round pick if Motte doesn’t resign
- 3rd round pick if he does resign
- 2nd round pick if Leafs reach the Stanley Cup and Motte resigns

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nope he hasn’t played enough games yet which is why the Canucks buried in the Utica after having pretty good numbers with the Canucks and was playing better the more games he played.
You’re getting it mixed up.

the required games has to do with Vancouver being required to expose players with that much experience.

capfriendly has a whole section on the expansion draft with listing which players are eligible to meet the requirements and which players are exempt

Troygambletheforgot

Sep 20, 2020
You’re getting it mixed up.

the required games has to do with Vancouver being required to expose players with that much experience.

capfriendly has a whole section on the expansion draft with listing which players are eligible to meet the requirements and which players are exempt

Not correct as in the rules it states that if a player has not played 40 games in the previous season and is a 1st or 2nd year player then the player is exempted from the expansion draft and Juolevi has only played 15 NHL games in his career making this season his first season.
“* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:
i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.”
So by this definition Juolevi is exempt and he is only listed on all these sites mock expansion drafts because he was expected to be in the team and play the 40 games.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not correct as in the rules it states that if a player has not played 40 games in the previous season and is a 1st or 2nd year player then the player is exempted from the expansion draft and Juolevi has only played 15 NHL games in his career making this season his first season.
“* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:
i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.”
So by this definition Juolevi is exempt and he is only listed on all these sites mock expansion drafts because he was expected to be in the team and play the 40 games.
This is his third professional season.

the AHL is a professional league.

and the player exposure requirement of 40 games and such, is a team requirement, not a player requirement. The team is required to expose atleast a set amount of players with that experience

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
hard to justify trading a young nhl Dman for either of these two bottom 6 forwards.

i Give Dermott the year to justify taking a protection slot for the expansion draft. if he doesnt earn it try and get an asset for him in the off season

Lil

Feb 13, 2016
Gotham
Canucks don't need Dermott unless if he can transition to the right side. Good numbers but there's a reason he has been unable to get a ton of minutes.

Lil

Feb 13, 2016
Gotham
Bottom six
hard to justify trading a young nhl Dman for either of these two bottom 6 forwards.

i Give Dermott the year to justify taking a protection slot for the expansion draft. if he doesnt earn it try and get an asset for him in the off season
Bottom six? Lmao. Virtanen is coming off a 20 goal season basically. He's a top 9er for sure. Dermott is a 7th Dman at best.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If you put Motte in the trade but the only teams involved should be Leafs and Canucks because there is a good chance Hyman prices himself out of the Leafs cap structure this offseason and Motte could replace Hyman next season
For
Leafs: do this deal to beef for the playoffs and also if Hyman leaves as UFA they have a cheap replacement and Benn can replace Dermott in the lineup right after quarantine
Dermott
2022 conditional pick
Is this Jim Benning's burner account? What a brutal trade for Vancouver. Dermott is a bottom pairing dman, the Canucks have more of those than we know what to do with. LHD is not a need with Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone all being in the system. As for the picks - there are no more conditional picks based on a player resigning so that makes zero sense. We give up the better player, retain salary - for a player that would be exposed in the expansion draft and a bad pick. Jim, you've done enough damage to the Canucks, leave us alone.

Reactions: Lil

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Bottom six

Bottom six? Lmao. Virtanen is coming off a 20 goal season basically. He's a top 9er for sure. Dermott is a 7th Dman at best.

And yet he might not crack 10 points this year.

Lil

Feb 13, 2016
Gotham
For
Dermott
2022 conditional pick
One of the worst trades I've seen in recent memory. Canucks already have Rathbone in the system. They don't need another 3rd pairing LD. Motte is albeit a fourth liner, but a possession driver and the heart of a team. Not to mention he's been carrying Beagle's lifeless corpse for two years now. He isn't going to be put into this deal unless you give up a 1st.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
And yet he might not crack 10 points this year.
Yep and is Nylander the 7 goal 0.5 ppg player or is he closer to a 20+ goal 60+ point player because he's had a crappy season too.

I'm not comparing Nylander to Virtanen, but player do not always develop in perfectly linear fashion. Jake is disappointing but you don't trade a young guy with lots of tools, just coming off his best offensive season for older players without any upside. And if you do you have 52 year rebuilds.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
Bottom six

top 9= bottom 6 lol
there are typically 4 lines of 3= 12 forwards dressed on a given night.
a marginal 3rd liner is bottom 6 but if you prefer sure he is top 9 on a canucks team who dresses leafs cast offs

and Dermott has had a good showing this year playing top 6 for the top team in the division

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary can just take Dermott and forget about Virtanen

Bennett may do well in Toronto. For sure will help them in the playoffs but he is done in Calgary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad