Apr 22, 2014
USA
:leafs
S. Bennett

:nucks
T. Dermott

:flames
J. Virtanen

Leafs get grit, Nucks get a young defenseman to allow themselves to sell off Jo. Benn (or Edler if he waives his NMC) to a contending team, and the Flames get a RW who can flank Gaudreau and Monahan since we like to still deploy Ritchie on that line. I know Virtanen doesn’t have much value, but I am willing to bank that he does better than Ritchie. It’s pointless for Bennett to be on the Flames if he’s just gonna be a 4th liner.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I don't think the Leafs have anyone that can replace Dermott in the lineup because Sandin is injured. If this were an offseason trade, I'd say yes

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Virtanen is like Bennett but has a lower IQ and no drive. No thanks to him, how about just remove Vancouver from the trade all together
Going into this season I'd rather my team trade for Virtanen before Dermott or Bennett.

After this season I'm unsure- Virtanen has been brutal this season but his speed and size is still enticing where as the other 2 have been mediocre and still lack those physical tools

Ledge And Dairy

Going into this season I'd rather my team trade for Virtanen before Dermott or Bennett.

After this season I'm unsure- Virtanen has been brutal this season but his speed and size is still enticing where as the other 2 have been mediocre and still lack those physical tools
I'm confused here, did you just say Bennett "lacks those physical tools?" Are you serious?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'm confused here, did you just say Bennett "lacks those physical tools?" Are you serious?
Yes.

He doesn't have Virtanen's speed or size. Those are physical tools aka unteachable talents.
Not saying he is necessarily a better player, just that he would probably hold more appeal to a GM/Coach who thinks they can unlock something

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
i would politely pass. we already traded Lehtonen so losing Dermott, who is a regular top 6 guy for us hurts. Bennett isnt a big need, makes more money and isnt really any better than the options we already have.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Regardless on how you feel about Bennett it just doesn't make sense for the Leafs. With Lehtonen traded and Sandin hurt there is no replacement for Dermott if this happened. Leafs likely need to add a depth D rather than trade one.

Ledge And Dairy

Yes.

He doesn't have Virtanen's speed or size. Those are physical tools aka unteachable talents.
Not saying he is necessarily a better player, just that he would probably hold more appeal to a GM/Coach who thinks they can unlock something
Huh? Bennett is literally the same size as Virtanen and plays with a just as much physicality, he is also decently fast. Both players just lack hockey IQ

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Yes.

Its not very often I'd defend Bennett but he would absolutely mop the floor with Virtanen. I don't think there's even many people that would question it.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Its not very often I'd defend Bennett but he would absolutely mop the floor with Virtanen. I don't think there's even many people that would question it.
You’re name is Sparky93 and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you defend Bennett before...

Regardless I was speaking to their size (weight) rather than their fighting ability

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
You’re name is Sparky93 and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you defend Bennett before...

Regardless I was speaking to their size (weight) rather than their fighting ability
Probably, but not for a long time. Bennett's far more physical too

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
If the Leafs have a separate deal in place for a defensemen (Ekholm etc) then I’d be all for this.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I don't think the Leafs have anyone that can replace Dermott in the lineup because Sandin is injured. If this were an offseason trade, I'd say yes
I'd do it, if it meant we have something ready for a LD trade.

Simmonds - Matthews - Marner
Bennett - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Engvall - Mikhayev
Thornton - Spezza - Galchenyuk

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Ekholm/? - Bogosian
Liljgren

Isn't a terrible lineup, has jam and accountability on every line.
Has alot of line mixing options, depending how Keefe wants to deploy

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I don't think Virtanen does anything for us, especially on our top line... you'd be begging to trade him 3 games in, I'd rather take Dermott personally, but hes a LD and that's pretty useless to us rn, so I'm not really interested in this deal

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Flames like Dermott for Bennett more than for Virtanen.

Canucks fans, by and large, don't hate Bennett for Virtanen.

We, in Vancouver, have zero need for Dermott in any capacity though.

OP probably hit value in the trade, but make it a two team trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad