Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Toronto signs Alex Steeves to ELC, 2021-22 start (3 years, $834k AAV)

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Perhaps you need to be reminded, but it’s not a 1:1 ratio. Have you ever heard of another “shot in the dark”? That’s what this is.
So are draft picks. Especially beyond the first 2 rounds.
3rd round picks don’t usually turn into much. They bust more than they work out and it’s really rare they become all star caliber player.
Any fan base or team would love to get a free 3rd round pick.

I don’t know enough about this kid to say what his actual draft pick equivalent is at this point but I’ll happily take a free shot in the dark prospect just like I’d happily take a free shot in the dark draft pick.

Last edited:

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Why is it every time one of these free agent signings happen people feel the need to come into the thread and tell everyone it won’t work out?

Everyone knows these kids are long shots. But some of they do turn into useful players and it doesn’t cost the acquiring team anything

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Are there? The vast majority of these signings either don't make it or struggle to carve out a 3rd/4th line role in the NHL.
Good news is the leafs have enough money, and are a desirable enough location, to throw money at every available college free agent in hopes that one makes it. It’s a volume game. Benefit of being Toronto.

Reactions: Leaftors

The90

Feb 27, 2017
No, at best this guy becomes Sidney Crosby levels of great. At absolute worst he is an Evgeni Malkin, which is unfortunate due to the injuries.
And even more likely is that he becomes neither crosby, nor Malkin, nor even a 4th line forward. Yet a bunch of salty fans will complain about this leaf singing as if leaf fans think he’s the next Malkin or crosby. In reality, the bar is low, with the chances he makes the nhl being even lower.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why is it every time one of these free agent signings happen people feel the need to come into the thread and tell everyone it won’t work out?

Everyone knows these kids are long shots. But some of they do turn into useful players and it doesn’t cost the acquiring team anything

True. In fairness though, this is the post in this thread that started a lot of that "won't work out/long shot" talk.

"You gotta like this move by Dubas. He scooped up the most highly touted college free agent. There are a lot of GMs fuming right now."

When a poster posts something like that, the responses received are to be expected. It's a good signing for TML. Even if he never works out, teams also need AHL talent as well and if it does work out, great. I doubt there's a lot of "GMs fuming" though.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He's not an outstanding prospect but one that I can see eventually getting NHL minutes. I haven't watched him a ton this year but his skating definitely held him back in the past, couldn't tell you if it's improved enough yet for him to be close to ready. He's the type who plays an NHL style already, he's not a perimeter player.

I'd reckon he doesn't see NHL action for a year at least while he improves his skating but there's a couple years of potential 4th line in him on his elc. I don't see him ever being the prototypical NHL 3rd liner but Leafs essentially just got a free depth option. Good signing.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I know everyone’s bored with the lack of movement as of late, but aren’t we fixating on a free wallet quite a bit? He’s just another prospect who should get a chance to shine in a depth role on a top heavy Leafs team. He could be Bozak and he could be Vesey, either way it’s not really harmful to give him a shot.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
True. In fairness though, this is the post in this thread that started a lot of that "won't work out/long shot" talk.

"You gotta like this move by Dubas. He scooped up the most highly touted college free agent. There are a lot of GMs fuming right now."

When a poster posts something like that, the responses received are to be expected. It's a good signing for TML. Even if he never works out, teams also need AHL talent as well and if it does work out, great. I doubt there's a lot of "GMs fuming" though.

I mean both can be true. He could be a highly touted NCAA free wallet, that could make some GM's upset they missed out AND he could be a bust.

I don't like the gloating over free wallets, and I really don't like any expectations of them becoming more than an AHL player, but I do think it is worth the cash risk on the very off chance they become even a solid 4th liner. Anything beyond that is a major bonus.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

I mean both can be true. He could be a highly touted NCAA free wallet, that could make some GM's upset they missed out AND he could be a bust.

I don't like the gloating over free wallets, and I really don't like any expectations of them becoming more than an AHL player, but I do think it is worth the cash risk on the very off chance they become even a solid 4th liner. Anything beyond that is a major bonus.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Agree 100% on the bold. EVEN if he only turns out to be a solid AHLr, that's still of value as teams need guys like that.

My point was more that a lot of the "these guys rarely amount to anything" came from the gloating post to begin with. I don't have a problem with that post, just that if a post like that is made, the responses are kind of expected.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Alex Steeves eh. That sounds eerily similar to Alex Steen so my only question is when does he get traded to the Blues and become a cornerstone player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad