Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Toronto signs Alex Steeves to ELC, 2021-22 start (3 years, $834k AAV)

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Doesn't look like he's ever run up big numbers but fares well compared to his team mates.
Anyone have a scouting report?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s a good prospect. A bit undersized. I think his skating has definitely improved since his draft season. He’s quick and has a heavy shot and plays both ways. I think he can definitely be a guy who can top out as a third line utility guy who can play a little of both special teams.

In comparison to a current Leaf, he’s not as good of a playmaker/vision as Kerfoot but way better shot and more physically engaged/stronger despite being a similar size. But I think he can be that class of player.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Steeves is not a nothing prospect, nor are the vast majority of the very top NCAA free agents each off-season (a group in which Steeves certainly is this year). The vast majority of any clubs prospect pool doesn’t amount to anything, that’s a stupid comment. I hate the Leafs but they got a solid prospect who has developed well and definitely has a good shot at some sort of career. No need for snark...I don’t see Leafs fans crowing about how awesome he is, they are just asking questions for the most part.

Steeves has quickness, tenacity and a damn good shot...he’s not some “guy” who is slow, weak and with a muffin shot who gets by putting up point totals at the NCAA level because things are slower and less physical. He’s got some legitimate translatable skill. It may not make him anything more than a depth guy but it’s found money.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s a good fit for Steeves too - good team who has a ton of older and free agent depth guys up front. The Leafs are going to need to rebuild their forward depth for the next few years so you can see why this is an enticing spot for him to land.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Steeves is not a nothing prospect, nor are the vast majority of the very top NCAA free agents each off-season (a group in which Steeves certainly is this year). The vast majority of any clubs prospect pool doesn’t amount to anything, that’s a stupid comment. I hate the Leafs but they got a solid prospect who has developed well and definitely has a good shot at some sort of career. No need for snark...I don’t see Leafs fans crowing about how awesome he is, they are just asking questions for the most part.

Steeves has quickness, tenacity and a damn good shot...he’s not some “guy” who is slow, weak and with a muffin shot who gets by putting up point totals at the NCAA level because things are slower and less physical. He’s got some legitimate translatable skill. It may not make him anything more than a depth guy but it’s found money.

Thanks for the additional info on him. We love you too.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
For every Sergei Bobrovsky, Tyler Johnson, Chris Kunitz, Nate Schmidt, Tyler Bozak and Artemi Panarin, there is a Ville Meskanen, Michael Lindqvist, Chris Nell, Vinni Lettieri, and Dawson Leedahl.

i agree

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Yes that is how pro sports work. Some players are good and others are bad. Water is also wet.

Perhaps you need to be reminded, but it’s not a 1:1 ratio. Have you ever heard of another “shot in the dark”? That’s what this is.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Really? You mean an undrafted free agent out of college isn't sliding onto the first line next season? Breaking down barriers here.

Who said anything about a first line assignment? This guy at best will get 5 games with a Maple Leaf crest on the front.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Oh look, another small player.
My guess is he plays bigger than his size.
Sees the ice well.
From a weak hockey program

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad