Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] Leafs (retain $200k ?) trade Carl Gunnarsson and 94th pick for Roman Polak

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I personally don't mind this trade as I am quite familiar with Polak.

I don't think we should have included the draft pick as for me, its nearly an even swap.

Polak is a good bottom pairing shut down defender that could look very good beside Jake Gardiner or Morgan Rielly.

He's going to be brought in to insulate one of those two and give them freedom and security.

Hard Nosed player who Leafs fans will end up liking just as much as Gunnar, if not more.

The players arn't the issue, its losing the draft pick which is upsetting.

But hey, we didn't move a 3rd for Dorsette!

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Seems strange to trade the guy best suited to play with Dion.

I'm hoping this means there are more changes to the defense coming. Maybe bringing in someone better suited to our top pairing than Gunnar was.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Gunnarsson has been consistently better and against better competition than Polak. AND we gave up a pick. Come on.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I don't think we should have included the draft pick as for me, its nearly an even swap.

Polak is a good bottom pairing shut down defender that could look very good beside Jake Gardiner or Morgan Rielly.

He's going to be brought in to insulate one of those two and give them freedom and security.

Hard Nosed player who Leafs fans will end up liking just as much as Gunnar, if not more.

A good way to look at it.

I was just a huge fan of Gunnarsson and was fairly underrated... but we'll see how it turns out.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada

The players arn't the issue, its losing the draft pick which is upsetting.

But hey, we didn't move a 3rd for Dorsette!

Then who is Phaneuf going to play with? I guess more moves are coming.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Polak is a very good player. I'm not sure why so many people are upset.

I could see him with someone like Gardiner.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Hmm. In the last 2 years Gunnar had 48pts and was +18 and they deal him + for 19pts and +1 on a much better team. Clever. I never knew he was the problem. Shanny you are an f...ing genius. Cue cultural change!!!

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Little run down on Polak. Built like a fridge, he's short but stocky as hell. His brother is a bodybuilder, and it shows. He's one of the strongest guys in the league. He wins the conditioning contest for the Blues every single year. VERY fast skater. It doesn't seem like he should be, but he is. He's an okay fighter, a great personality. His biggest weakness is his outlet pass. When paired with another guy that can't pass, Jackman, they were an absolute trainwreck. Paired with a guy that can pass, but maybe isn't physical is ideal. Polak can handle the physicality and positioning, but the offensive side of the game is very limited. We are very sad to see Roman go. Hope he thrives in Toronto!

Thanks.

Good to hear he's quick.

Gutless

Jan 26, 2011
Solid trade. Right-handed shot, which seems to be at a premium right now, and can play alongside Gardiner or Rielly. Save a bit of cash, too, which is always nice.

There mustn't have been anything interesting at the 94th pick for us. Sad to see Gunnarsson go, but I think Polak fits in with our group better.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Polak is a very good player. I'm not sure why so many people are upset.

I could see him with someone like Gardiner.

To me its the added pick AND the lack of any sort of idea who is going to play on our top pairing next season. It sure wont be Polak

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sucks to see Gunnar go, but we add a RHD. Will be a better fit with Dion if that is where we use him IMO

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Hmm. In the last 2 years Gunnar had 48pts and was +18 and they deal him + for 19pts and +1 on a much better team. Clever. I never knew he was the problem. Shanny you are an f...ing genius. Cue cultural change!!!

In fairness to Polak, he didn't play top pairing minutes with the best OFD.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
WTF? Are you kidding me? If they did this just to sign franson I swear, Nonis becomes the dumbest GM in the history of the leafs in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad