Confirmed Trade: [TOR/SEA] Mark Giordano (50% retained) and Colin Blackwell for 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd, 2024 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Muzzin pulling a TB is a no-brainer, imo

Certainly it is quite warranted, his health needs to be paramount.

On top of the obvious concussion fears that can last a.lifetime, with the playoff teams all but settled and only seeding left to determined, it would be a prudent decision that would impact the Lesfs cap freedom tomorrow.

Reactions: Daz28

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm very directly suggesting that unless Toronto makes a major upgrade at goalie tomorrow, that they are short an enormous piece to contending.

Whether they get that goalie tomorrow, or in the off season, they have to find him.
I agree they need to find another goalie, but I also believe they can win with Campbell if he plays like he did last season and a good chunk of this season. If it were me, I would not gamble on him turning it around, but I think Dubas thinks the same thing since he waived Mrazek today. I expect a goalie trade to happen.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Muzzin pulling a TB is a no-brainer, imo
It definitely is, but Dubas has to be willing to trade serious assets in order to add a player that would use that cap space (ideally a goalie, or a goalie + forward), but he seems to have indicated that he's not really wanting to trade Toronto's 1st round pick, or top prospects... So I don't know if it's realistic, IMO.

The Rodion Amirov situation (brain tumor) is obviously really sad for a number of reasons, but way down the list is that Dubas can't really count him among their projected prospects / trade pieces right now. He's a valuable part of that mix if healthy.

Reactions: Daz28

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I still think one of Marner or Nylander has to go. If you have an elite goalie, you have to pay him. They can't with all these bloated contracts on the books that don't even perform in the clutch.
I might very well be true. Willy would be the one I move because he doesn't have great chemistry with Tavares and that contract isn't moving, like it, or not.

Marner and Matthews are one of the league's very best tandems.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Last season the Leafs severely outplayed Montreal and were the far better team in the series but Campbell reverted to backup goalie with a sub .900 over the last 3 elimination games and Price did Price things when it counted.

This season the Leafs will face a much tougher task going up against Vasi who is far better than Price and Tampa who is far better than Montreal wishing on a prayer that the same career backup goalie to have different results.

It is insanity to bet this team's success on the prayer that is Jack Campbell matching Vasi save for save when it counts.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I might very well be true. Willy would be the one I move because he doesn't have great chemistry with Tavares and that contract isn't moving, like it, or not.

Marner and Matthews are one of the league's very best tandems.
Willy would have to re-up before Marner would, too. The Tavares contract hurts, but it might be worth the massive pain to pull that tooth,

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Last season the Leafs severely outplayed Montreal and were the far better team in the series but Campbell reverted to backup goalie with a sub .900 over the last 3 elimination games and Price did Price things when it counted.

This season the Leafs will face a much tougher task going up against Vasi who is far better than Price and Tampa who is far better than Montreal wishing on a prayer that the same career backup goalie to have different results.

It is insanity to bet this team's success on the prayer that is Jack Campbell matching Vasi save for save when it counts.

It's not just Campbell, though. Again, the star players also didn't do jack shit when it counted. Their 10.5 M player stepped up, our 11M players wilted.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019

Severely outplayed is a massive stretch, they slightly outplayed them maybe IMO. Same as their series vs CBJ where Leaf fans complained about running into a hot goalie and blamed Andersen, but they were shutout twice in 5 games and Andersen had a .936 that series.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Without Muzzin, let's keep two of the tandems together and everybody on their correct side:
Reilly-Brodie
Giordano-Lyubushkin
Sandin-Liljegren

With Muzzin, if he returns before the playoffs and he's clearly got his game back:
Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Giordano-Lyubushkin
- Rotate in Sandin/Liljegren when Muzzin inevitably gets injured (sorry, Muzz) and/or Holl fades as he's prone to do.

If there's some cap gymnastics that have to be done when Muzzin comes of LTIR, then someone smarter than me can figure it out.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015

Well you are right in a few ways but missing some important points.

Leafs did for the most part outplay Montreal, but the fact is, they are our cryptonite. Year after year no matter which team is better than the other, the Habs play us hard and games are usually pretty close. Always and forever. We could be first overall and they last overall, and games are tight. Some teams just have some teams number, and they seem to have ours. (Ottawa plays us hard too and they suck, see previous statement). Every team has a few of those, don't have the stats in front of me but every really good team has a few bottom feeders that beat them alot. While everyone else was pumped facing Habs first round last year I was terrified, especially with Price going price. Important to note we also lost tavares to a nasty injury... easy to see he could have been a difference maker in 2 different overtimes.

Tampa is obviously very good, but we have played them well and I think we can go toe to toe with them. Vasi is great but beatable. Tampa has allowed 15 fewer goals than us with one less game played, they are hardly a defensive giant compared to us. At the start of the year Campbell was a Vezina candidate, then sucked badly, and it looks like it may have been a lingering rib injury. If he is somewhere between the 2 and provides decent average goaltending, we have a chance against any team in the league, never mind our division.

Leafs are clearly a contender and have a much better D than last year. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Good pickup, Giordano will stabilize that Toronto D, good chance they get him signed for a retirement deal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad